Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long am I obliged to give Sky to fix my fibre?

This is a discussion on How long am I obliged to give Sky to fix my fibre? within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, My Sky fibre has been completely offline now for 5 days, with no sign of it being fixed, ...

merkin51 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

How long am I obliged to give Sky to fix my fibre?

Hi all,

My Sky fibre has been completely offline now for 5 days, with no sign of it being fixed, and Sky support seemingly no ideas what is causing the problem. I'm expecting a call today or tomorrow from a 3rd department (Network Operations Centre), so we'll see what they say, but the chap on the previous phone call (Customer Solutions) hinted that he thinks it's going to be a BT Openreach engineer call-out job. He warned that turnaround might not be quick.

Quite honestly I haven't got time to muck around, I need a stable internet connection at home for work. Virgin was rock solid, I only jumped as they couldn't offer a retention deal to match a new Sky deal. Lesson learned I guess! Bearing in mind I'm only 2 months in to my Sky contract, can I cancel the broadband service without change with it not being fit for purpose? Is that possible, or will I have a fight on my hands? How long am I obliged to give them to get this fixed? I will happily move my internet back to Virgin just to get back online asap.

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: How long am I obliged to give Sky to fix my fibre?

If Sky's support team has been unable to determine where the problem, what has been done to see where the fault lies?

For example have you tried a different router?

Does your landline work?

When they performed a test on your line what was the result?

There are many other questions that I could run through, but perhaps it would help if you could provide some information first.

As for cancelling, the rules set by Ofcom changed recently. In this instance I would be inclined to contact Ofcom directly to see what they suggest.

Internet | Ofcom

For the record Sky's service is normally pretty stable. Such long outages for an individual customer are not something which crops up on the forums very often.

I would also raise the issue of both compensation with Sky and ask if they will fund the cost of using a 3G connection whilst you have no SFU service. Normally Sky are generous in this area.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

It's a head scratcher of a problem, as everything seems fine. Router boots up, all lights are white, and in the router's admin area (192.168.0.1) it says it's connected to bb and the stats look fine. All my devices in the house can connect to the network, but that's where the problem hits, not a single device in my house (PCs, phones, tablets, consoles, Sky HD) can get any internet data throughput. On my PCs, I get the yellow exclamation mark "no internet access" on my connections icon. Sky have run line tests, and they came back fine. Landline works fine. No reported problems at the exchange. Sky tech ran me through various ideas (I'm in IT so had tried most already) and nothing work. I've rolled back the firmware from the (apparently) troublesome 1086, no joy.

So far I have tried a different SR102 hub (family member), different microfilter, and plugged straight into the master socket under the faceplate. No joy.

I'm going to call in the morning to try and push them forward, with it being fibre I do think they should have just arranged a BT Openreach callout when the Sky tech was at a loss on Friday.

I will ask about 3G / 4G to keep me going, I'm currently paying 18 for 5 days of BT Wifi hotspot connection which is very ropey to say the least.

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

I have had problems twice with external line faults
      both times i ensured that it was escalated for an openreach callout within a hour of the fault
      and both times it was fixed within 48 hours (suspect my line was stolen both times)

Leaving it with sky for 5 days is unwise
      they have no access to any way of fixing external faults apart from getting openreach out

Dont give up with sky until they book an openreach visit if your sure its external

Thanks

Having read through your current issues I was thinking that perhaps something similar to Shonk's issues might be at fault too.

There are a number of potential things that can be done accidentally by a BTO Engineer. This includes taking a line that is actually in use and feeding it to a new customer.

I had a crossed line earlier this year. How it was caused (i.e. what the engineer had actually done) I don't really care about. Thankfully the BTO Engineer did come out and was able to fix both lines within an hour or so once he'd arrived. The "fun" bit was attempting to contact Sky as when I dialled I got through to two people at around the same time.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I had a crossed line earlier this year. How it was caused (i.e. what the engineer had actually done) I don't really care about. Thankfully the BTO Engineer did come out and was able to fix both lines within an hour or so once he'd arrived. The "fun" bit was attempting to contact Sky as when I dialled I got through to two people at around the same time.
      Did it have any effect on your broadband connection?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Did it have any effect on your broadband connection?
      Strangely it didn't, which led me to believe that the issue was between the cabinet and the exchange.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Spoke to Sky again this morning, the lady said something along the lines of "we think it might be a problem with the card at the exchange, but BT will only send an engineer if at least 5 other customers have card problems at the exchange". Does that make any sense to anyone at all? We then went on to book me an engineer appointment for this Thursday morning, I have no idea if it's a Sky engineer or BT engineer. I should have pushed it with the lady, but I didn't get the impression she was totally on top of things (e.g. when I told her I had now been offline for 6 days, she said "you know you can at least use Sky Go in the meantime?".......).

If anyone could shed some light on this "card at the exchange" problem from a technical sense, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

What (place your own expletive here) she has given you.

If there is indeed a faulty card then they can send someone out from BTO as soon as there is a free appointment slot. I'm guessing that this should be in the next 24 hours.

You don't wait until others have reported the same issue. You do it now.

I personally would now be sending an firm but very polite email to the execute team.

Sky have changed all their email addresses recently so could I ask you to try this email: jeremy.darroch at sky.uk

If that doesn't work, check out this page: Sky Help: How to make a complaint

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I can only assume that the agent was referring to the DSLAM, not normally referred to as a line card as this term normally refers to the circuitry that terminates the telephone (speech) line however modern DSLAMs are miniaturised to such an extent that many are arranged on circuit cards.
      Last edited by seawright; 10-11-15 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Missed S in DSLAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast