Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By coipu

Lose Landline Telephone Number If One Cancels Sky Account?

This is a discussion on Lose Landline Telephone Number If One Cancels Sky Account? within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi All, Our package deal has gone up massively & talking with Sky Agents could not get us a deal ...

Bazzie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Lose Landline Telephone Number If One Cancels Sky Account?

Hi All,

Our package deal has gone up massively & talking with Sky Agents could not get us a deal we were truly happy with & we cannot just get what we want without being forced to buy a compulsory TV Package. The basic one is pants imho & the decent one (Family) is way to costly for 36pm.

We currently have Sky TV (Family Package), Sky Asia Package, 1 x Multi-Room, Broadband Unlimited, Sky Talk Anytime UK, Line Rental. As we cannot get a new deal we are happy with, I have been reading all over the net that the best thing is just to cancel as the best offers are given by the Outbound Retentions Team once you have actually cancelled & the savings can be very considerable - nearly everyone seems to agree on this!

I spoke to a agent in Cancellations today to cancel our Sky Account (TV, Broadband, Phone & Line Rental ) in order to hopefully get a much better deal afterwards but was told that if we cancel the Telephone/BB/LR side of things then we will lose our telephone number & will have a get a new one from another provider - is this true as in all my searchings, no one has ever mentioned this?

I thought that the existing number just carries forward to the new provider if one signs up with them - how can Sky just cancel it? I was told the cancellation will take place after 31 days(?) so can one not get a new provider within this time & ask them to take the number over on the day the Sky contract expires?

If we are offered a much better deal after cancellation (which seems to be the norm) & we accept, then I assume the we will not lose our number?

This is my first experience dealing with Sky Cancellations so really am not sure what the best way/process is - do most others just cancel everything (their entire Account) in one go & accept
      that they risk losing their telephone number or do it in stages - The Sky TV stuff first & the the Telephone/BB Stuff?

What is the best way to get the best deal on all services at the same time (so payment & contract dates match) after cancellation then & still keep our number? If I just cancel the TV side of things, Sky will have no reason to offer any discounts on the Telephone/BB/LR as we kept it when we could have cancelled from their POV & this will push the costs up & of course, we may not get the best deal either!

Sorry to come across so dense!

Many Thanks All,
      Bazzie!

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER or is it?
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Lose Landline Telephone Number If One Cancels Sky Account?

Your mistake is thinking of it as cancelling, you should always just sign up with another provider and let them handle the transfer over to their services.
      speedyrite likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coipu For This Useful Post:

Bazzie (16-09-15)

Bazzie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

@coipu

Many thanks for the reply - much appreciated!

Do you know if when people cancel Sky in order to get the best discounts afterwards - do they cancel ALL their services or just the Sky TV Part? I am struggling to understand the process as I am new to this. The experiences I have read of many others is that after cancelling Sky, they were able to get big discounts across ALL of their services but I am not sure what exactly they cancelled in order to achieve this & what process they followed.

If say I cancel & as long as I contact Sky within the 31 day cancellation period & accept any improved offer(s), I presume that I will then be able to keep my number?

I would really appreciate a step by step guidance on what process to follow or how to do things so I can get the best prices for the TV, BB & Phone

Many Thanks!
      Bazzie!

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

From what I've read, generally speaking the trick to getting a discount on TV services is to phone up, go through to cancellations via the menu system (select the thinking of leaving option, not the add or remove a package option) and then tell them which package(s) you want to remove. When they ask for a reason, that's your opportunity to say "too expensive" or whatever and they will then come up with something to tempt you to stay. If they don't offer anything, you can always say "I'll have a think about it" and end the call without them doing anything if you really don't want to leave.

With regard to Broadband and Phone services, generally speaking NEVER EVER tell them to cancel Broadband and Phone either as part of a strategy to get a deal or even if you wish to go elsewhere! Why? Because the losing provider may well process an instruction to cease the services on your line which may become difficult/impossible to reverse.

If you wish to go elsewhere for Broadband and Phone services, the first port of call is to place an order with your chosen new provider - they will take care of everything to do with the transfer from old provider (you just need to keep an eye on your account with the old provider to make sure they process the loss of services and handle final billing correctly).

If you are looking for a deal for Broadband and Phone services, ask for a retention deal (in other words, what are they offering for you to stay with them and not go elsewhere!)

Beware that taking a deal will almost always require you to re-contract for a certain period of time (which may also be for a longer time than the duration of any discounted prices).
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

Bazzie (16-09-15)

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER or is it?
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Just to add one more thing, if the cancel process has been started once it's all complete and you finally get services back, you may indeed end up with a different phone number.