Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree4Likes
    • 2 Post By Kyuuketsuki
    • 1 Post By stereohaven
    • 1 Post By aciidsn3ak3r

I Think I Have To Leave Sky

This is a discussion on I Think I Have To Leave Sky within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; OK, So I have come to the realisation that Sky is very expensive. I currently have Sky Multi-room (so two ...

Kyuuketsuki is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01795
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Post I Think I Have To Leave Sky

OK,

So I have come to the realisation that Sky is very expensive. I currently have Sky Multi-room (so two Sky boxes) one with two channels and the other (for historical reasons) with just one. We have no paid-for sport or movie channels and it costs us around 38 a month.

I have Amazon Prime as well which costs about 6 which, from a TV/film perspective, isn't really all that good but it also gives me one day delivery, some kindle stuff and now music streaming. For much the same price I can get Youview or Netflix each of which offers different programs so for half the price I'm paying Sky I could get 3 different streaming services.

The problem, as I suspect everyone knows, is that Sky gets all the best stuff first so if I went for Freeview and streaming only I wouldn't see many of my favourite shows for a year, perhaps more; shows like "Game of Thrones", "Flash", "Arrow" and so on. Granted I buy GoT on bluray anyway but the others (as well as some other shows) are more problematic. Still it's had to get away from the fact that Sky is incredibly expensive and it's galling to pay that yet still have to put up with adverts although it is, in the final analysis, about money.

Suffice to say I'm now on the verge of deciding to ditch Sky but what I want to know is what will happen if I do; I mean what happens from a user's point of view? I'm told that if you leave Sky you still get FreeSat but I have read that that's not the same as FreeSat from Sky; suffice to say I have a few questions (and I apologise in advance):
      What is the difference between Freeview, FreeSat and FreeSat (Sky)?
      Does it all happen automatically once I tell Sky I want to leave?
      What is the notice period? A month?
      I don't have much but how long do I have to watch the Sky channel stuff I have recorded?
      Can I still record on a Skybox that is only FreeSat?
      Do I have access (via Sky) to terrestrial catch-up services (like iPlayer)?
      If I quit will my Sky box automatically switch to FreeSat mode or do I have to get a new card from Sky?
      Will I still get to use multi-room (FreeSat multi-room)?

One other thing and that is that I read (mainly here) that it can be extremely difficult to cancel your contract with Sky, that they will try to keep you on the phone for a long time (I've read of people being kept on for 90 minutes or more) in order to persuade you to stay with them. I think I can deal with that by simply being politely insistent and following up my conversation with a letter sent "signed for" but does anyone have any other advice?

That's all I can think of for now (bit of an epic) and, again, my apologies for all the questions.

Keke

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Re: I Think I Have To Leave Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
      What is the difference between Freeview, FreeSat and FreeSat (Sky)?
      Freeview is digital TV received using an aerial.
      FreeSat is free digital TV received using a satellite dish.
      FreeSat from Sky is a subscription free digital TV service received using a satellite dish, Sky set top box & viewing card.
      Does it all happen automatically once I tell Sky I want to leave?
      Yes
      What is the notice period? A month?
      Thirty one days
      I don't have much but how long do I have to watch the Sky channel stuff I have recorded?
      The notice period.
      Can I still record on a Skybox that is only FreeSat?
      Not without a standalone Sky+ subscription which costs 10 per month.
      Do I have access (via Sky) to terrestrial catch-up services (like iPlayer)?
      Requires standalone Sky+ subscription.
      If I quit will my Sky box automatically switch to FreeSat mode or do I have to get a new card from Sky?
      Existing card will work until Sky replace all viewings cards (has only happened twice) or you move to a different TV region.
      New Freesat from Sky viewing cards currently cost twenty five pounds.
      Will I still get to use multi-room (FreeSat multi-room)?
      Your multiroom box, which I understand never had a recording facility, will receive the same free to air and free to view channels as your main box post cancellation.

If you still want to watch Sky channels after cancelling your subscription you might want to consider: Watch Movies, TV shows & Sports online instantly | NOW TV Sky's no contract streaming TV service.

A ninety minute call to cancellations is excessive. A lot of that time may have been spent in a queue. Try not to call at lunch time or between 1600 and 1800 on weekdays. It might not be the shortest call but I doubt that you will be speaking to an agent for more than fifteen minutes. Some technical support calls take considerably longer.

Thanks

Hi Seawright,

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Freeview is digital TV received using ...
      Sorry I meant in terms of channels.

Not without a standalone Sky+ subscription which costs 10 per month.
      So to sum up the hard drives in my Sky boxes can't be used at all (I can't record), even for free channels? I think (not sure) my Smart TV can save programs onto a USB but, I have to admit, I had hoped I would still be able to record from the remaining free channels (I assumed it was a function built into the box and not reliant on some part of Sky's service).

New Freesat from Sky viewing cards currently cost twenty five pounds.
      Your multiroom box, which I understand never had a recording facility, will receive the same free to air and free to view channels as your main box post cancellation.
      Yes it does record but I guess I lose that facility as well; I'm beginning to regret selling the old Freeview HD recorder I had.

Anyway ... thx for the reply. Apparently PlusNet do a YouView package which for 5 a month (50 activation) will give me the ability to record, live pause and stuff like that so, although it will cost us twice I presume (two machines to replace Sky multi-room), it will benefit us eventually.

Again thx

Keke

Thanks

So I recieved an offer from Sky that was seriously tempting; 50%, 50 credit and a Sky HD+ Box.

I admit it ... I'm weak

Keke
      dog-man and skyexpert like this.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

So I recieved an offer from Sky that was seriously tempting; 50%, 50 credit and a Sky HD+ Box.

I admit it ... I'm weak
      You are not alone...
      dog-man likes this.

aciidsn3ak3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYCSG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Asus RT-AC66U
      Thanks

I admit it ... I'm weak

Keke
      Even better when they offer you 60%
      skyexpert likes this.

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

freesat overall gives more channels than freeview, although I think some are on freeview without been on freesat.

The FTA HD channels still work on freesat. Such as bbc hd and itv hd.

By the way to show how inconsistent sky are (which is why I dont like rention deals as its a lottery), when I seen the light and stopped sky subscription tv years ago, I was not offered a single retention deal other than a one off 20 credit, Never ever have been offered 75% off not even 25% off to stop the cancellation. The best deal I have ever had was actually a new customer deal.

If you look at it from the long term point of view sky tv is a ripoff. People I know who are struggling financially are paying sky (or VM) circa 100 a month for tv/phone/bb which is an insane amount of cash. Sky know its a ripoff which is why they cable to offer tv customers line rental subsidy to keep them on the high margin packages. Not to mention they charge extra for recording and multiroom.

Go down to freesat, get a non sky STB (which can record without sky's permission) and you be all the happier for it, if you want to watch some movies get netflix

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

I wouldn't say I'm any good at haggling but I have always been very happy with the deals that I have obtained from Sky. As you say Freesat is a suitable alternative for which I was very thankful during a period of just over a year when no suitable offer was forthcoming. Yes as aciidsn3ak3r states 60% discount is better than half price. The other man's grass is always greener, springs to mind. Me? I'm just thankful for what I've got.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

I got rid of Sky tv years ago. I was paying over 30 a month then for a whole load of repeats. I now use Freeview and Freesat (not Sky Freesat) because there are different channels on both. I can get all the catchup doobries but there isn't much dross that I actually want to catch up on. If I want documentaries I can fill my boots using YouTube and the internet and I use Chromecast and EZcast to stream from my computer to my television. I also have a smart tv so I can get internet content on that. If I watched everything that is available to me, even without Sky, I would just become a couch potato and that's not for me I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong the same repeats and American dross is on Freesat and Freeview but it is free. I have a Samsung set top box that I can record on, and pause etc and I have had that for 2 years and the only thing I have recorded on it is Men In Black 2 and that was because one of my grandchildren broke the dvd. (It is actually a rubbish film IMO but then most sequels are) I was not offered any incentives, whatsoever, to stay with Sky so I made the decision that if they couldn't be bothered I most certainly couldn't be bothered. I have retained my Sky broadband, both ADSL and fibre, as that has performed flawlessly ever since I have had it which is from when Sky first offered broadband and I have Sky land line which is also good IMO.