Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Cancelling and re-joining in another name with discounts?

This is a discussion on Cancelling and re-joining in another name with discounts? within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am moving out of my parents house at the end of October and currently hold Sky in my name ...

aciidsn3ak3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYCSG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Asus RT-AC66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Cancelling and re-joining in another name with discounts?

I am moving out of my parents house at the end of October and currently hold Sky in my name at that house.

Since i'm moving out, I want to cancel my Sky services (which I no longer am in contract) and sign up in my mum or dads name.

What I want to know is, can they sign up with the Money Saving Expert 50% discount once I have cancelled? They would be new customers as neither of them have had Sky within the past 12 months.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Cancelling and re-joining in another name with discounts?

Regarding the 50% offer Sky has said that if Sky is already installed in the property, new customer or not, it won't make this offer available.

From reading your other post I understand that of the two properties only one has Sky installed. To take advantage of the offer you would need to contact home moves and transfer your Sky services to the other address which would leave your dad, or someone else, able to take up the offer. You wouldn't be able to wait until October though as the offer code is only valid until midnight on the 21st of August.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Regarding the 50% offer Sky has said that if Sky is already installed in the property, new customer or not, it won't make this offer available.

From reading your other post I understand that of the two properties only one has Sky installed. To take advantage of the offer you would need to contact home moves and transfer your Sky services to the other address which would leave your dad, or someone else, able to take up the offer. You wouldn't be able to wait until October though as the offer code is only valid until midnight on the 21st of August.
      Update

I have phoned Sky and cancelled my TV and explained that we would be re-subbing in my dads name.

Phoned Sky sales to begin the sign up and they were happy with the MSE discount on the TV but said they couldn't do it on the phone and broadband because it was still in use and in my name.

I argued that I still want the discount because my dad is a new customer and hasn't been with Sky for over 13 years.
      Few minutes after the advisor spoke to their manager and they're honouring the discount as per the MSE website.

So my dad is getting:
      Sky Family Bundle (Free for 12 months)
      Sky Movies and Sports (50% off for 12 months, 17.25)
      HD Pack for Sports and Movies (5.25)
      Sky Line Rental (16.40)
      Sky Talk Anytime Extra (8)
      Sky Fibre Unlimited (50% off for 12 months, 10)

All for 56.90 a month for 12 months.

Very happy with the deal.

Broadband and phone will be "re-installed" on the 4th September
      Sky TV "re-installed" on the 5th September.
      gymno and seawright like this.

MelonRelish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Montgomery, Powys
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for the heads up for that, I have just got my code and will be doing that in the next few days. I am moving house in September so will delay the install until then.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aciidsn3ak3r View Post

I argued that I still want the discount because my dad is a new customer and hasn't been with Sky for over 13 years.
      Few minutes after the advisor spoke to their manager and they're honouring the discount as per the MSE website.
      I've got a bad feeling about this. I hope I'm wrong. Could you let us know when your dad's viewing card arrives?

Thanks

Saw on the order tracking online that we was getting a new number so I questioned it because the sales advisor said we could keep the existing number. When I rung they said it is impossible to transfer the number from Sky to Sky.

I've persuaded my mum to get a new number and a gesture of good will, Sky are giving us 50 credit to go onto the account too. That softens the blow. Still waiting for the viewing card to come through. But will let you know.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      I've got a bad feeling about this. I hope I'm wrong. Could you let us know when your dad's viewing card arrives?
      FYI
      These orders are rarely blocked unless there is a high outstanding bill on the other account.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aciidsn3ak3r View Post
      Saw on the order tracking online that we was getting a new number so I questioned it because the sales advisor said we could keep the existing number. When I rung they said it is impossible to transfer the number from Sky to Sky.

I've persuaded my mum to get a new number and a gesture of good will, Sky are giving us 50 credit to go onto the account too. That softens the blow. Still waiting for the viewing card to come through. But will let you know.
      They've had to book the order as someone new moving into the house. This is the only way they can cancel the existing line when the new order activates and also partly the reason you would have to get a new number.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

Sorry for the lack of update. So Openreach failed to turn up on the 4th September because they had a problem with their system and had to be rebooked for the 17th September.
      5th of September the TV was installed. Works perfectly fine!

17th September Openreach turn up, disconnect my fibre Sky line and get the new phone line working.
      However when attaching the new line to the fibre port it's found that the port is faulty and needs an engineer to replace the card in the cabinet.

So now at that point we're without broadband. I was absolutely fuming. So knowing that Sky isn't to blame at this point I didn't kick off at them.
      However the provisioning team said there was nothing that they could do, and wasn't sympathetic at all.

So I decided to raise it through to their complaints team and they have been really informative and keeping me up to date with the issue.
      On Friday (25th) the fibre port was fixed but the broadband order was cancelled. So this time I really kicked off.
      Saturday morning my dad received a call to say as a temporary measure they put us on the standard broadband service for the time being.
      So now I'm waiting for the fibre to be re ordered and reactivated. Hopefully......

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Have you called them to make sure the fibre was reordered? Sometimes this is forgotten about (from personal experience of customers calling me back) although not always!
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

I emailed the guy in the complaints team on Friday who said that the order for fibre has now been put back through.
      To be completely honest the complaints team have been doing a good job to rectify the problem, albeit slow, and that's not really any of their fault.

The estimated upcoming bill has gone a bit haywire with it soaring to 200, the complaints team reassured me that the original MSE discount will be honoured.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast