Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

Just Signed Up For Sky But Now Have Serious Concerns...

This is a discussion on Just Signed Up For Sky But Now Have Serious Concerns... within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi All, I am new here & not very technical/savvy & new to Sky. I was always led to believe ...

Bazzie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just Signed Up For Sky But Now Have Serious Concerns...

Hi All,

I am new here & not very technical/savvy & new to Sky. I was always led to believe they are a great company to deal with based on a number of factors. We are currently with Talk Talk for Internet & Landline Phone and had a separate contract with Zee TV for Asian Channels with no Sky involvement at all.

Zee informed us that they were no longer offering any services via themselves & things were being handled by Sky & the Asian Channels are available through their Sky Asia Package. With this, I looked to consolidate all services with one provider to make things simple as we were looking to move from Talk Talk anyway.

I managed to get a deal for from Sky for Non Fibre Unlimited BB, Anytime Calls, Family Pack, Line Rental & the Sky Asia Pack for 12mths after which the price goes up drastically. They are due to install this Saturday 27th April 2014.

I have since done some reading up & have read many a extremely disgruntled opinion on just how awfully bad Sky Internet is on a number of fronts - the service is apparently awful & slow and I have since learnt that the new black router they supply is very bad indeed - read a few reviews & watched videos which basically said it was crap & a major cause of issues but one is forced to use this Sky Hub Router and cannot use another brand. We are heavy internet users so I am concerned about these internet issues & do not want to have to repeatedly call Sky Technical for help for poor internet over the next year & face hefty engineer call out charges multiple times. At the moment our internet is stable & reliable.

What is also extremely concerning is the very many horror stories I have been reading from a very large number of references about what an absolute nightmare it is to cancel Sky if one no longer wants it and what a very long, protected and painful experience it can be and how Sky can turn very nasty. The Telegraph apparently took up a campaign on behalf of customers & OFGEM got involved but apparently Sky are still causing heavy grievances to people who wish to cancel? I really would like some advice on this as & how to deal with the issue effectively in future should I have/want to - I am very concerned about this issue & figure you guys are experts here.

I just got an email from them & after a very quick review of the T&C's, they state they can increase the cost of the contract by 10% & charge 0.50p for each direct debit charge - I was not informed of this & is this normal?

I know I must sound over sensitive & somewhat silly so please forgive me but I just want to avoid some of the very scary nightmare stories in future - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks all & apologies in advance if my post offends!

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Just Signed Up For Sky But Now Have Serious Concerns...

Hi Bazzie and welcome to the forum.

Sky have millions of contented customers and contented customers don't complain.
      Things can and do go wrong so with such a large customer base it is hardly surprising that some customers complain.
      On the whole Sky customer service is good. There may be weak areas but improvements have been made and I would expect there to be further improvements in the future.

OFGEM regulates the electricity and gas markets in Great Britain and would not get involved with customer complaints against Sky as they provide neither of these services.
      Sky broadband is aimed at the residential market and is not designed to provide some of the facilities and service levels expected by business users.
      While not the best broadband router available the Sky hub is fit for purpose and while Sky do not allow the use of other routers they have never terminated the service supplied to customers who are successfully using their own routers.

On the subject of cancellations, all suppliers of whatever service will attempt to retain their customers. In this respect Sky is no different to any other supplier. Thirty one days notice of cancellation is required though they will accept longer. They also insist on speaking to the customer who is cancelling, not his/her representative. It is usual for the call to take a few minutes but it should not be excessively long and the call is free to Sky Talk customers calling from their landline.

It is good that Sky are now providing an Asia Pack, a recent introduction and something that Sky's main competitor has had available for many years.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Hi Bazzie and welcome to the forum.

Sky have millions of contented customers and contented customers don't complain.
      Things can and do go wrong so with such a large customer base it is hardly surprising that some customers complain.
      On the whole Sky customer service is good. There may be weak areas but improvements have been made and I would expect there to be further improvements in the future.

OFGEM regulates the electricity and gas markets in Great Britain and would not get involved with customer complaints against Sky as they provide neither of these services.
      Sky broadband is aimed at the residential market and is not designed to provide some of the facilities and service levels expected by business users.
      While not the best broadband router available the Sky hub is fit for purpose and while Sky do not allow the use of other routers they have never terminated the service supplied to customers who are successfully using their own routers.

On the subject of cancellations, all suppliers of whatever service will attempt to retain their customers. In this respect Sky is no different to any other supplier. Thirty one days notice of cancellation is required though they will accept longer. They also insist on speaking to the customer who is cancelling, not his/her representative. It is usual for the call to take a few minutes but it should not be excessively long and the call is free to Sky Talk customers calling from their landline.

It is good that Sky are now providing an Asia Pack, a recent introduction and something that Sky's main competitor has had available for many years.

Hi Seawright!

Many thanks for your kind reply! I have to warn you, I am not so technical so I do get confused very quickly about certain things - makes me feel really thick compared to most others here!

I have to go with SKY for the Asia Package as my disabled elderly mum watches some religious channels there & can only do very basic inputs on a remote due to onset of dementia & cannot go with Virgin as there Asia Pack do not have the only two religious channels she watches!!!

It is because of the massive cost increase after our 12 month contract expires which has me a little worried - although I will probably get rid of the Family Pack TV if it does not get used so much by others - bottom line is we need BB, Land Phone & SKY ASIA as the minimum for all future needs. I presume I have to be aware of 31 days before the contract expires to make sure I cancel some options or try to get a better deal at the time?

Regarding the bolded bit - as my mother is the head of the house (& for a number of reasons) we always have everything in her name & then act on her behalf as she is 89 years old, disabled & does not speak English - this has never been a problem with any other provider - will SKY allow this as well do you know? (It may cause probs otherwise due to family politics).

I had a torrid time with Talk Talk & do not want to through the same hell again which is why I nearly crapped my pants reading about all the terrible things at how bad basic Sky Broadband & Customer Service was & how they make it so nearly impossible for one to cancel!

Many Kind Thanks!

PS: My mistake about OFGEM mentioned in my initial post - it was actually OFCOM!

Thanks

Provided a password is set on the Sky account you would be able to administer the Sky account on your mothers behalf but cancellation could still present a problem. If you have a speaker phone or an extension which would allow both you and your mother to be on the line when speaking to Sky I would explain to the agent that your mother does not speak English and offer to translate.

A entry in your diary or calender five weeks before the 12 month contract expires would remind you to call Sky to cancel or negotiate a better deal and still allow a few days to make other arrangements in the unlikely event that your services as translator was unacceptable.

Two items that I omitted to answer in my first reply was the 50P charge which is only applied to continuous card payments so will not effect you if paying by Direct Debit and the up to 10% increase which is a standard clause in the terms and conditions allowing Sky to review their prices (usually annually) without voiding the contract. In the most recent price review my Sky package remained at its current price though the cost of some other packages did increase.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Provided a password is set on the Sky account you would be able to administer the Sky account on your mothers behalf but cancellation could still present a problem. If you have a speaker phone or an extension which would allow both you and your mother to be on the line when speaking to Sky I would explain to the agent that your mother does not speak English and offer to translate.

A entry in your diary or calender five weeks before the 12 month contract expires would remind you to call Sky to cancel or negotiate a better deal and still allow a few days to make other arrangements in the unlikely event that your services as translator was unacceptable.

Two items that I omitted to answer in my first reply was the 50P charge which is only applied to continuous card payments so will not effect you if paying by Direct Debit and the up to 10% increase which is a standard clause in the terms and conditions allowing Sky to review their prices (usually annually) without voiding the contract. In the most recent price review my Sky package remained at its current price though the cost of some other packages did increase.
      Hi Seawright,

Many thanks again! I did speak to a Sky Agent today & she confirmed that the Account Holders name cannot be changed but others can administer the account by means of a password just as you said. I explained the situation regarding my mother but the agent still said once an account had been registered in a name, it cannot be changed.

I will make make note of when the contract ends & do as you say - hopefully, I will not have to but being my first time with them I will see how things go.

They have advised me today that an Engineer is due to come out Saturday to install the TV & the Telephone Line due to be switched over from TalkTalk on the the 8th of October. Apparently, they can start the TV service quickly but must wait two weeks to get the the telephone line switched over from TalkTalk. (I naively thought the engineer visit would sort out everything at once so he could fully install & test things were working since he is an engineer!)

Apparently, because of this, there will be two different sets of bills issued on two separate dates - is this normal? I really would want everything on just one bill on the same date for both services otherwise there will be the hassle of having to monitor two difference sets of bills & having two direct debits instead of one. Also, if I ever cancel in future, I do not want potential probs where they cancel one service & forget about the other etc.

How do most have their bill structure set & how can I get everything on just one bill on the same date?

Many Thanks,
      Bazzie!

Thanks

I'll assume that you haven't specified the date you want your Sky payment to be taken. In which case it will be taken on the same date each month (excluding weekends and bank holidays) as your TV service is activated. As payment is required one month in advance the first payment would be due on Saturday but will not be taken as a bill needs to be produced and sufficient time elapse (usually two weeks) before payment is taken.

If the bill is produced before your telephone line switches over it will only be for the TV service. The second bill should be produced on 13th October for payment on 27th October and include one months TV subscription with telephone and broadband charges from 8th October to 26th of November calculated at a daily rate.

Thereafter one Sky bill will be produced on the 13th of each month for payment on the 27th which will include one months subscription for all your services plus any telephone call and pay per view charges.

On the subject of cancellation, although you could have all your services terminate on the same date this is not a good idea as it could leave you without telephone and broadband. It would be far better to contact your new preferred supplier and allow them to transfer your telephone and broadband service and cancel or make changes to your TV service as I have already explained in an earlier post. The only exception to this is if you live in a cabled area and are taking broadband and a new telephone number with Virgin Media.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'll assume that you haven't specified the date you want your Sky payment to be taken. In which case it will be taken on the same date each month (excluding weekends and bank holidays) as your TV service is activated. As payment is required one month in advance the first payment would be due on Saturday but will not be taken as a bill needs to be produced and sufficient time elapse (usually two weeks) before payment is taken.

If the bill is produced before your telephone line switches over it will only be for the TV service. The second bill should be produced on 13th October for payment on 27th October and include one months TV subscription with telephone and broadband charges from 8th October to 26th of November calculated at a daily rate.

Thereafter one Sky bill will be produced on the 13th of each month for payment on the 27th which will include one months subscription for all your services plus any telephone call and pay per view charges.

On the subject of cancellation, although you could have all your services terminate on the same date this is not a good idea as it could leave you without telephone and broadband. It would be far better to contact your new preferred supplier and allow them to transfer your telephone and broadband service and cancel or make changes to your TV service as I have already explained in an earlier post. The only exception to this is if you live in a cabled area and are taking broadband and a new telephone number with Virgin Media.
      Hi Again!

Thanks immensely for making thing regarding how they take payments so much easier to understand - very much appreciated & allows me just to stick to the proposed dates for both services - do not need anymore hassle!

Strangely SKY have issued me TWO Account Numbers - Yesterday, the Sky Agent could not explain why this happened but just said it must have been a system error. Spent quite some time on the phone with her & eventually was told that she had definitely cancelled one of the accounts issued in error and I asked here to send me a conformation email in case of future mix ups - she said they do not send emails so I then asked for a call reference number & apparently they do not give them either? I just wanted to make sure I was not billed twice on two different accts!

Anyway, someone from Sky called me today regarding some issues & then quoted my Account Number - it was the one that was supposed to have been confirmed as deleted!! Spent ages on the phone again explaining what was confirmed to me the day before & just waiting to sort things out & was told that I still have Two Accounts & both are still Active!! For some strange reason, they could not delete one & I eventually ran out if time & was asked to call back at a another time - maybe it will be third time lucky!!

I will most definitely heed your advice about the cancellation process should I have to do so as I can now see the issues that might arise by cutting everything off at the same time!

Will let you know how I get on!

Many Thanks!

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzie View Post
      Hi Again!

Thanks immensely for making thing regarding how they take payments so much easier to understand - very much appreciated & allows me just to stick to the proposed dates for both services - do not need anymore hassle!

Strangely SKY have issued me TWO Account Numbers - Yesterday, the Sky Agent could not explain why this happened but just said it must have been a system error. Spent quite some time on the phone with her & eventually was told that she had definitely cancelled one of the accounts issued in error and I asked here to send me a conformation email in case of future mix ups - she said they do not send emails so I then asked for a call reference number & apparently they do not give them either? I just wanted to make sure I was not billed twice on two different accts!

Anyway, someone from Sky called me today regarding some issues & then quoted my Account Number - it was the one that was supposed to have been confirmed as deleted!! Spent ages on the phone again explaining what was confirmed to me the day before & just waiting to sort things out & was told that I still have Two Accounts & both are still Active!! For some strange reason, they could not delete one & I eventually ran out if time & was asked to call back at a another time - maybe it will be third time lucky!!

I will most definitely heed your advice about the cancellation process should I have to do so as I can now see the issues that might arise by cutting everything off at the same time!

Will let you know how I get on!

Many Thanks!
      The problem you seem to have is that (I didn't read the whole thread) you have an account with View Asia which has been ported to Sky's systems and you have created a Sky new customer account with a different offer. You need to cancel one and continue with the other whichever is the better offer over the 12 month period!

Both may have telephone and broadband on them (this shouldn't happen but hey! system issues!) so decide which has the best offer and call DORT [Drop-Out Recovery Team - pre-active cancellations](ask to be transferred to them as they have no direct number) to get the other cancelled.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Both may have telephone and broadband on them (this shouldn't happen but hey! system issues!) so decide which has the best offer and call DORT [Drop-Out Recovery Team - pre-active cancellations](ask to be transferred to them as they have no direct number) to get the other cancelled.
      Maybe too late as TV was due to go active yesterday. Could ECL help?

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Maybe too late as TV was due to go active yesterday. Could ECL help?
      Oh Dear!

Guess I or someone like me will be speaking to him soon to finally sort it out.
      I hope the telephone and broadband hasn't gone live on a different account number as that is real PITA to fix.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast