Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

Just Signed Up For Sky But Now Have Serious Concerns...

This is a discussion on Just Signed Up For Sky But Now Have Serious Concerns... within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Personally I would suggest that you take a look at a local second hand shop to see if you can ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Just Signed Up For Sky But Now Have Serious Concerns...

Personally I would suggest that you take a look at a local second hand shop to see if you can pick up a cheap DRX890 or DRX895 from there. Depending where you look it is possible to pick one up for between 15-25. eBay always seems to sell them for silly money. A well known national pawn broker chain will sell them for between 40-55.

Avoid picking up a Thomson model as these are obsolete. Pace, Samsung and the Amstrad DRX780 are all getting old now and I would advise against these models too.

Yes you will need two feeds to get the full benefit of having a Sky+ HD STB instead of the SkyHD STB. It is possible to set the Sky+HD STB to "single feed mode". This would stop it recording a different channel to the one you are watching, but it will work.

Take a look at your dish. If there are only 3 feeds coming from it, then you have one spare. If this is the case then you will only need to get a suitable length of cable installed.

If your existing LNB has all four feeds taken, then you will require an Octo LNB.

Depending on access and how happy you are to do the work, you can purchase Octo-LNBs via sites such as Amazon, but you will need to check the fittings on your dish first. There are 2 types and the details don't normally make it clear. You may also need some help aligning the LNB correctly.

Fitting the cable can be easy, but you may need to widen any holes in your wall.

Failing all this, contact a local contractor. He/she should be able to do the work. Get an estimate first.

Telephone connections are no longer required for new installations. However it is beneficial to connect all the Sky+ HD (and SkyHD) STBs to the Internet. This is where you might need to think about either WiFi or an Ethernet cable. Both the DRX890W and DRX895W come with built-in WiFi adaptors, unlike the earlier versions (DRX890 or DRX895). If you don't manage to pick up a WiFi STB, then your choices are:

• SD201
      • SD501
      • Ethernet
      • HomePlugs/PowerLine adaptors
      • Your own WiFi Extender/Adaptor/Media Bridge

The one linked below used to be popular on the forum, but if only works with up to WiFi g.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-Bridg.../dp/B00GJW6FF2

We used to suggest getting a USB adaptor for it at the same time, but since then the rear USB port on the Sky+ HD STB has been enabled and you can use this to power the adaptor.
      Bazzie likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Bazzie (09-10-14)

3. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi Bazzie,

Thank you for bringing the Multiscreen offer to our attention.

Although the Sky HD box cannot record or pause live TV it will allow you to watch all the HD channels you can watch on your main Sky TV (including Star Plus HD) provided it is connected to an HD capable TV using an HDMI lead.

When installing Sky TV the engineer will fit a quad LNB as standard this provides four outputs which is sufficient to feed two Sky+ HD boxes or a Sky+ HD box and two Sky HD (multiscreen) boxes. For an installation requiring more than four feeds an octo LNB would be required.

To utilise the full facilities of a Sky+ HD box two feeds are required although it can be set to operate using one feed with reduced functionality.

If you were thinking of swapping the supplied box for a second hand Sky+ HD box at a later date it would benefit you if the engineer could install a second feed when installing your multiscreen box. Although he/she is under no obligation to do this it requires very little extra work so it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Swapping the box yourself is easy although it will require re-pairing to your viewing card. This can easily be done online, by calling Sky or it may be possible to do it from the box itself if it is connected to your router. If afterwards you are able to view all the channels you are entitled to but live pause and recording/playback does not work call Sky and ask for a second Sky+ subscription to be added to your Sky account. As you will already have a multiscreen subscription there wouldn't be any additional charge.

For new multiscreen subscribers the T&Cs state that if you have home broadband, your Internet-enabled Sky boxes must be connected to your router if Sky have provided the equipment you need to connect (E.g. an On Demand connector).

Irespective of this to take advantage of Sky on Demand and some of the advanced search facilities would require internet connection either wired or wireless.
      Bazzie likes this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Bazzie (09-10-14)

Bazzie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Hi Again!

Many Thanks to both Scubbie & Seawright again for the great help! I will take on & apply the tips & info you have given!

I just today was able to get a used 7 month old DRX890W-R (for 20!) as the guy is leaving for Australia tomorrow! Apparently it is has "Built In WiFi" (according to the specs anyway!!) so can I assume this is compatible with the DRX890W-C that Sky supplied? I ask as the the "C" version has "3D", "On Demand", "DVB", "Dolby Digital" & WiFi" written on the front & whereas the "R' version I got today has no writing at all - Are these features missing from the "R" version then? I thought I would take a punt at 20!

When the Sky Installers came round, they refused to run the Multiscreen cabling to my room (even though I told them Sky agent said they would as I would be getting Multiscreen soon! I just thought it would be far more efficient requiring only one trip from the engineers & reduced costs for Sky as well as less hassle all round but apparently not!)

They did however leave me with about 15-20 metres of the twin type cable as I explained how I wanted it run & asked if I could simply feed it from my room upstairs into the loft, run it to near where the dish is so that way there would be just a small vertical run of cable emanating from the roof to the dish outside & I would not have to drill into an exterior wall & leave another long ugly trail of cable outside. They said that was fine (one of them did anyway!)

Seawright, you say that they fit a quad LNB as standard & that a bigger one is required if more than four feeds are there - I had a look at the present LNB attached to the dish - it is a quad one - it has three cables connected to it already and the addition of the twin cable to my room would make it 5.

In view of this, will the Sky engineer install a new bigger Octo one to run the twin cable to my room or will he just connect one of the feeds to the present one & disconnect one of the three currently connected cables? I really would like him to fit the Octo one as that way, things are future proofed & no currently attached cables are disconnected - if I ask him, is he likely to have any objections? I assume they carry these things with them in their vans? If he does object, what can I do?

The Engineer who came last time was a bit stand offish & very jobsworthy despite my efforts to be friendly & amenable without hassling them so am just a bit concerned. I asked him to make sure he would not/did not just run the cables in the guttering & to tack them on the wall properly (as we had problems last time with tv cables & water) & he assured me he did but I found out today that it seems he did just run them by leaving them in the gutter - can I insist that the he or next engineer take care of this when they come round to install the multiscreen? Is it not a bad thing just to leave the cables running freely in the guttering like that?

One more thing - should I inform the engineer that I now have a spare Sky+HD STB that I would like hooked up or should I not tell him - I ask as I am not sure how Sky might view this or if he might get funny about things, takes offence or says he cannot fit it since I did not buy from Sky directly at full price!! In any case, I would want to keep the basic Multiscreen one they would supply anyway as a spare in case the Sky+ box packs up for any reason in future - would he let me keep it if I have supplied my own Sky+HD box to use?

Sorry to be a pain in the neck!

Bazzie!

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As it is less than one month since your Sky TV was installed you should call the telephone number the engineer gave you to speak to him if there are any problems with his work. If you are dissatisfied with his response call Sky to arrange a service visit. They may be reluctant to book one for you but explain that you were unhappy with the original engineer and they should relent.

You should also call Sky and ask them to add an engineers note to the multiscreen install visit stating that an octo LNB will be required. The engineer would normally carry a small quantity but it's best to make sure he retains one for you.

Do you know where the third cable currently feeds? If it is to a room where you require TV reception you could let the engineer install the new Sky HD box using the twin cable you have run through the attic. Not forgetting to ask him to terminate it with two plugs each end as you expect to be replacing the supplied box with a Sky+ HD box. Then swap the boxes when he has gone giving you Sky TV in three rooms though I realise one box would not have a viewing card.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Bazzie (10-10-14)

Thanks

I was thinking that if the LNB was already populated with 3 connections, this might be why he refused to fit the twin feed.

A bit of a shame really as it shouldn't have been too difficult. If you are unable to get Sky to fit an Octo-LNB then find a local contractor.

For reference though, the -C or -R means nothing more than where the STBs were built. Just simply refer to them as DRX890W.

-C means it was built in China. I think that -R is Romania.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Bazzie (10-10-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi All,

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      As it is less than one month since your Sky TV was installed you should call the telephone number the engineer gave you to speak to him it there are any problems with his work. If you are dissatisfied with his response call Sky to arrange a service visit. They may be reluctant to book one for you but explain that you were unhappy with the original engineer and they should relent.
      OK - will try & see what he/they say - I have enclosed pics of the cabling where it goes in to the guttering so would welcome your input as to whether I am correct in presuming he has just probably laid it in the guttering & let ir run in there till he got to the from of the house & ran it down the drain pipe with cable ties or am I likely to have misunderstood what he has done?

You should also call Sky and ask them to add an engineers note to the multiscreen install visit stating that an octo LNB will be required. The engineer would normally carry a small quantity but it's best to make sure he retains one for you.
      OK, will give them a call & hopefully they will do so!

Do you know where the third cable currently feeds?
      The third cable was actually a feed to a Freesat Box that was in the living room where the SKY+HD Box now is. It is still there & connected. There was also a Panasonic Satellite Box there & connected to the dish from which we received the Zee TV Package & Subscription. It was a sort of plan to place the Freesat Box (or now, thinking about it) the another SKy-HD Box or even the Multiscreen box in her room as she currently ha nothing there. I like your idea of doing that & putting the Sky+HD box I acquired in her room & get Sky to do the cabling part as it needs to be done anyway & mine is comparatively easier to do.

Just FYI, we have a south facing garden so the dish is placed on the back wall at the rear of the house above a conservatory & most of the feeds go around the property perimeter then down to ground level & into the front room which is North facing - looks ugly as hell.

If it is to a room where you require TV reception you could let the engineer install the new Sky HD box using the twin cable you have run through the attic. Not forgetting to ask him to terminate it with two plugs each end as you expect to be replacing the supplied box with a Sky+ HD box. Then swap the boxes when he has gone giving you Sky TV in three rooms though I realise one box would not have a viewing card.
      This would be really great if he would do so - the cable run from my room to very close to the dish would be effectively done for him - there would be a drop of less than a couple of metres from where the cable emanates from my attic to the dish - it then only requires him to connect it to the dish & possibly drill a small hole if need be - virtually no work at all for him really.

Problem is, my sister's room is built as an extension to the main house above what was once a garage so it is quite narrow & has a Flat Felt Roof with a lower roof line than the main house. I can run some cable in the attic to the from corner of the house closet to her room & it would probably need to be fed outside then for a short distance and then through a wall in her room - I will see if it is possible to drill a hole from near the house attic floor area in to her room. If it works, it would feed through from near the very top of the wall & then the cable could be run down the wall in some slim trunking etc.? The Sky Guy would need to drill the hole though if this is feasible.

If I can pull it off, it would again mean that virtually all of the work would have been done for for the Sky & all he would have to do is terminate the cables as you rightly suggested. Even if the cable cannot be directly fed into the room, then there is just a very short external cable run that he would have to be make from the main house roof line to my sisters room which he really should not have a problem with this should he? Most of the work would be done for him!

I guess it would be a very bad idea to drill directly into the felt roof (relatively new) to feed the cable through to the room in case I cannot feed through from within the attic? Would rather not do this but just looking at worst case scenarios!

I have attached photobucket links to an album of the front of the house to show the difference in roof lines and also of the cabling where in goes in the gutters.

As they left me only one run of cable, If I run that to near my sister's room, then I would have to ask them for some more for the shorter run from my room to the dish & feed it my self whist they get on with other things - I hope they give me some as well as the Octo LNB or my plan will fail!!

Would he have any objections to my supplying sky boxes not bought directly from Sky do you think? The last guy was a bit stand offish!

Will a Octo LNB be OK with the smaller dish they have fitted - I have read that some think that it may cause issues over time?

Many Thanks Again!
      Bazzie!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I was thinking that if the LNB was already populated with 3 connections, this might be why he refused to fit the twin feed.

A bit of a shame really as it shouldn't have been too difficult. If you are unable to get Sky to fit an Octo-LNB then find a local contractor.

For reference though, the -C or -R means nothing more than where the STBs were built. Just simply refer to them as DRX890W.

-C means it was built in China. I think that -R is Romania.
      Hi Scrubbie,

TBH, I cannot remember if it was all four or just three - I know that Panasonic satellite box (really old!) & the Freesat was definitely connected. I did ask the Sky guy to fit an Octo one at the time, explaining that I will be having multi-room in the next week or so but I guess he did not want to for whatever reasons - was a local chap who lives just down the road to me as well - offered him many a cup of tea & snacks etc!

Thanks for clearing up the designation issues - good to know!!

Many Thanks!

Bazzy!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by bazzie
      hi scrubbie
      pmsl.
      bubblegun likes this.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

For any existing Sky customer who is interested in this offer but cannot find it on the Sky website follow this link:

12 months half price Sky Multiscreen | Watch your Sky TV in another room | Upgrade online

It is available to Sky TV customers upgrading to Sky Multiscreen for the first time.
      The Sky+HD box and install is still available for free with a full price Multiscreen subscription for the first Multiscreen too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      pmsl.
      Oh dear....

That's two people who I'll be upset with for the rest of today.

P.S. That's...

Not...

gymno likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast