Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Banned from sky!

This is a discussion on Banned from sky! within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; It's fair to say that sky are only interested in getting new customers and get you with lovely deals half ...

Jay Jay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01759
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Banned from sky!

It's fair to say that sky are only interested in getting new customers and get you with lovely deals half price internet vouchers etc, then remove some of the services you signed up for (some on demand services where taken away from us) they get away with it because it's in the terms an conditions.

As an existing customer once your deals are over you pay an overly expensive fee. So today I called them to cancel. Got offered a 14 reduction which some might say is fair, however this is still not as good as new customer deals. New customers are also being offer a 125 prepayment card or tesco/m and s vouchers. So I also asked for the voucher and was told no. I explained that as a new customer I could get a better deal and was told my address is now blocked from having sky services for a year, as I'm not allowed to cancel and set up as a new customer or have anyone else at the address set up as a new customer in their name. Before I could challenge what was said I was put on hold, sent a cancellation email and hung up on.

Has anyone else ever been banned from sky?

2. Advertisement
      fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Banned from sky!

No but they refused to give me a good deal when my 12 months was up.

12 months HD contract as at that point I had been with them for 13 years.

So I cancelled and they have not kin stopped spamming me with the offers they refused me when I cancelled.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

robwlv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I think it must be hit and miss who you get on the phone when you go to cancel/haggle for a better deal when your 12 months is up. The last two years on the trott, I've managed to get a good deal. The first year I had additional Sky+HD box installed in other rooms, multi-room free for 12 months. The second year, I got my broadband half price for 6 months, a Wireless adapter for one of my SkyHD+ boxes and 5 discount off my overall bill for 6 months. It didn't half hit my once my 6 month offers were up though!

Each time though, I never called Sky. I emailed the disconnections team and after 2 or 3 days, they called me. To be fair, the one guy even said, "Let's cut to the chase, what can we offer you that would get you to renew for 12 months". Obviously I said some crazy things I knew I wouldn't get, knowing we might be able to meet in the middle.

So whether the email team is better, or I was just lucky with who I got on the phone, I don't know.

I know Virgin can be just as uninterested in keeping your custom. My Mom has been with them for 21 years (when they were Cable Midlands, Telewest and then Virgin) and they won't even offer her a new TiVo box when she's had a V+ crappy box for years.

Maybe I won't be so lucky this year with Sky.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

I can't see them banning you just because you want to cancel and didn't accept their lower price.

However I am sure that anyone who doesn't pay their Sky bills would have a problem returning to Sky at a later date.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I don't think that it is the luck of the draw as to who you speak to though I concede that some agents are more likely to treat you as a real person than others who just follow a script.
      The bottom line is that all retention teams have the same offers available to them though there may be different offers available to individual customers dependent on package, any offers currently applied and length of service.

Where luck applies may in reality be timing as just like sales staff retention teams will also have targets to achieve. If quarterly performance figures are likely to be poor retentions will have better offers available in a similar fashion to the offers available for new customers. I'm not sure of the dates when performance periods end or when figures are released however the subject has been discussed previously. I suspect the best time to cancel would be during an aggressive marketing campaign or when the best new customer offers appear online.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

From what I have learnt the offers vary, often over short periods of time.

One offer might be available for a few weeks, whilst another might only be available for a couple of days.

There are different teams across the UK. From memory there was one offer which was only available from a specific team at one time, but none of us customers would know that this was available from them at that moment or that it may no longer be available to anyone, so it is very much luck of the draw all the time.

Yes retentions do have targets, for which they are monitored. However if the right offers aren't available, it makes their work difficult.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Retentions standard offers are currently 10% off tv for 12 months, 12 months half price multiscreen (existing or new customer), 12 months 9.99 telephone line rental, Free tv home move installation (now 25 for existing customers), 15 service call (instead of 65).
      All carry a 12 month re-contract period.
      They can only apply ONE of these offers (with exception of the home move offer[currently]). If they apply TWO or more of the above they are risking their jobs.

Selected accounts can get higher offers but this isn't for the advisor to decide and is usually dependent on the previous discount you were on, ie if you were on 12 months half price you will get offered 6/12 months 25% off (unless it was a new customer offer in which case it will just be standard offers).

Standard [current] offers like half price broadband or the 7.50 Fibre can be given along with these as long as you don't have these products already.

Retman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: N/A
      Broadband ISP: N/A
      Router: N/A
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
      Has anyone else ever been banned from sky?
      You haven't been banned from Sky as such... There is an OFCOM regulation that won't allow us to start up a new contract at the same address within 12 months of one ending. This is due to fraud, and abuse of the new customer offers. We can re start a contract, but not start over from scratch.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retman View Post
      You haven't been banned from Sky as such... There is an OFCOM regulation that won't allow us to start up a new contract at the same address within 12 months of one ending. This is due to fraud, and abuse of the new customer offers. We can re start a contract, but not start over from scratch.
      That must be very new as there are several instances here of subscribers cancelling then resubscribing in a partners name to get the benefits of a new customer. There must be an exception where the contact is taken out under a new name, even if it is at the same address.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I don't see why Ofcom should get involved with this. I thought they were only involved with telephone and broadband. What happens if a customer leaves Sky for BT then returns to Sky within a year. Would Sky refuse to reconnect their telephone line on the grounds that they were an existing customer? I realise that in this situation the customer would also have to pay an early cancellation charge to BT.
      Last edited by seawright; 22-06-14 at 05:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast