Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

loft installation? new build pre wired...

This is a discussion on loft installation? new build pre wired... within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, We're moving into a new build which is sky ready in that it's pre wired for sateillite feeds in ...

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

loft installation? new build pre wired...

Hi,

We're moving into a new build which is sky ready in that it's pre wired for sateillite feeds in the living room. The main distribution points are supposely in the loft. So cabling from the dish needs to get routed up to the loft and connected up there.

It's a standard new build loft, not boarded but there's lighting. So question is what's the chances of us getting the sky install done in this way?
      Do I mention it's an attic type installation required and do sky cater for this by subcontracting this out to another provider to perform on their behalf?

I'm not diy type of person, never even beem up a loft! so would not be confident in doing this myself.
      Any advice on how I could get this progressed with sky?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: loft installation? new build pre wired...

Few installers will go into a non floored loft, especially Sky empployees, you might need a private contractor to do the connection. It would be better if you spoke to Sky about it and explain what you want.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I wanted the cables routed through my loft because I didn't want cables run all the way round the outside the house, no way would the engineer go up there! But luckily he was quite helpful and agreed that if I went in the loft he would pass the cable through the eves to me so I could pull the cables through. I'm not sure all engineers would be quite so obliging!

Kev.

hyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi,

I've contacted sky on two different occasions (sales n home move ) and both give a vague answer on the subject as if its depending on the engineer on the given day. All my builder (site manager) had advised is to specific that's going to be an attic install as some folk in the development were caught out on this, at the time I never thought much but now assume those installs did not progress for these reasons?

As with many new builds these days, this scenario of prewired cabling much be commonly located in the loft. So I assume loads of folk will be in this situation when moving into a newly build house. Therefore one would think Sky would cater for these?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Its a 'Health and Safety' thing. The regulations in today's nanny state forbid an action which may result in death or injury. Going into an unfloored loft is considered dangerous. The solution really is to terminate the feed wires in a position that is considered 'safe' outside the loft. You might suggest that to your site manager, he may be able to get the aerial contractors to bring the feed wires into an easily accessible position.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hyeung View Post
      Hi,

We're moving into a new build which is sky ready in that it's pre wired for sateillite feeds in the living room. The main distribution points are supposely in the loft. So cabling from the dish needs to get routed up to the loft and connected up there.

It's a standard new build loft, not boarded but there's lighting. So question is what's the chances of us getting the sky install done in this way?
      Do I mention it's an attic type installation required and do sky cater for this by subcontracting this out to another provider to perform on their behalf?

I'm not diy type of person, never even beem up a loft! so would not be confident in doing this myself.
      Any advice on how I could get this progressed with sky?
      My parents got Sky installed to a new build of a similar type to what you are describing.
      My advise to you would be the same as I gave to them.
      Make sure there is someone on-site at the time of the Sky install to do the loft work or (as they did) make sure the connection cables are run already so that the cable is poking out ready for the dish to be connected at one end and then the box connected to the other.
      Then all the installer needs to do is put up the dish and screw on the connectors to the lnb and then go inside to connect the other end to the box.