Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Leaving Sky For Download Service?

This is a discussion on Leaving Sky For Download Service? within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I'm after a bit of advice. I'm in Kent and both my broadband and television are with Sky at ...

Kyuuketsuki is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01795
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Leaving Sky For Download Service?

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice.

I'm in Kent and both my broadband and television are with Sky at present, the broadband is not by choice as I moved from Sky to BE a couple of years back but they've now been bought by Sky. I'm also not convinced that Sky is good value for money ... we don't have the movie channels or sports but do have some of the additional packs as we have children (now grown up). Up until now I have "filled in the gaps" of films/programs I miss by buying the DVD or blu-rays ... I'm a bit of a collector so this works for me but it's expensive and I'm beginning to run out of room. I imagine that will get worse if I leave Sky.

My limited research indicates that I could drop off sky to FreeSat but I'm unsure what that gets you ... channels seem OK but I've seen some things that hint I would no longer be able record programs. If that makes sense do I simply ask Sky for a FreeSat card (two actually since I have two Sky boxes) or what?

That will mean I lose a whole shed-load of programs I like and, not being particularly keen on illegal downloads, I was thinking of supplementing that with something like Netflix or Lovefilm but I honestly don't know what the advantages are with each of these services. I realise that this will deprive me of seeing series as they first hit TV but I'm not sure how long it is until these programs typically become available to download or stream.

It's a bit archaic I know (I'm old AKA dinosaur) but are there any download services that allow you to record to a box of some kind like the Sky box does so I can record (or download) a whole series and watch it later at my leisure?

Thx for any advice

Keke

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Re: Leaving Sky For Download Service?

If you cancel your Sky TV subscription there is a notice period of 31 days after which your Sky boxes will no longer be able to record or playback any previous recordings. At this point you will be able to receive the same selection of channels that a Freesat from Sky customer receives as listed at FREESAT from Sky - What can I watch?. There is no requirement to purchase any new viewing cards.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Just to add to seawright's response, Freesat from Sky doesn't allow you to record unless you pay the monthly fee. I believe this is 15 per month but could be 10 per month.

Alternatively you could purchase a Freesat+ STB and enjoy full access to the Freesat content.

If you do stick with Freesat from Sky (i.e. use the Sky STB) you will not be able to view any of the recordings on the STB. Even if you pay the monthly fee, any recordings you have from the encrypted channels will also not play back. This includes ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD, ITV4 HD, Film 4 and a few more. FTA channels and FTV channels can be seen.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Just to add to seawright's response, Freesat from Sky doesn't allow you to record unless you pay the monthly fee. I believe this is 15 per month but could be 10 per month.
      It's 10.00 per month per box to record without the tv package.

The rest of Scubbie's post is correct.

Unfortunately the Sky box does give the best and most integrated selection of options through a single box.

Freesat+Freetime boxes are the next best option for a one-off cost but do not currently support all the terrestrial catch-up services.
      Youview boxes do have all terrestrial catch-up services but they are limited to the channels available through your aerial unless you pay for an additional package.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegun For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (04-10-13)

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Is itv and 4od available thru the sky box without a a sub? The reason I ask is that the tv adds suggest that only bbc I player is available without a sub.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Is itv and 4od available thru the sky box without a a sub? The reason I ask is that the tv adds suggest that only bbc I player is available without a sub.
      yes or no, only iplayer is available without tv subscription, ie with freesat and sky+ subscription.

as an edit to the above post I believe the freesat+free time boxes now have the main terrestrial catchup services (at least according to this review) along with a youtube player app. If netflix and lovefilm instant and the new Wauki.tv apps are added then it would prove the next best option which even if all three subs were taken would, I think, still be cheaper than Sky's Entertainment extra plus package in terms of monthly cost.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

There are a number of alternative methods of getting all the terrestrial CUTV players on a TV now. I'm not sure which services Xbox and PS3 have available, but there is also Boxee which isn't too expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-Boxee.../dp/B0043EV3MS

Do double check what is available first though as Boxee were taken over by Samsung earlier this year and a few things may have changed or may change in the future. Otherwise it looks a nice piece of kit.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Kyuuketsuki is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01795
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

Thanks for all the replies guys ... something to think about certainly.

Just curious ... do you think it is "short-sighted" to leave Sky TV? By that I mean will it be harder or near impossible to get the programmes we want (mainly US SF, fantasy & dramas ... the sort of thing "Atlantic", "Fox", "Sky" & "Living" often carry).

I do think Sky is good for showing programs but I pretty much hate their on demand service (never seem to be able to get what I want) and I resent adverts when I'm paying for the "privilege" of watching them.

Keke

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

I don't think there is one single service that really does what you want.

Both Netflix and LOVEFiLM offer streaming services but not all of the programmes you watch will be available for quite some time on either. Blinkbox will let you rent most things (such as Game of Thrones), much sooner but the cost will soon start mounting up.

Personally I think your best bet is to look at Freesat to replace your Sky service for FTA TV and main broadcaster catch up services (i.e. iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5), then add in LOVEFiLM's Instant + By Post service which starts at 7.99 a month.

That way some of the content you want will be available to stream but also everything that is on Sky eventually gets released as a DVD or Blu-Ray, which you can watch to your hearts content.

Expect a lag of 6 - 12 months before programmes on Sky are available on disc.

In my opinion, LOVEFiLM Instant + By Post for 9.99 (2 discs at a time) and Netflix for 6 is a bargain compared to pay TV. Sure you have to wait a bit longer for some programmes but 15.99 for an absolute shed load of content is peanuts compared to even a basic Sky package, plus you can watch almost all of it in HD.
      Last edited by stereohaven; 04-10-13 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
      I don't think there is one single service that really does what you want.

Both Netflix and LOVEFiLM offer streaming services but not all of the programmes you watch will be available for quite some time on either. Blinkbox will let you rent most things (such as Game of Thrones), much sooner but the cost will soon start mounting up.

Personally I think your best bet is to look at Freesat to replace your Sky service for FTA TV and main broadcaster catch up services (i.e. iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5), then add in LOVEFiLM's Instant + By Post service which starts at 7.99 a month.

That way some of the content you want will be available to stream but also everything that is on Sky eventually gets released as a DVD or Blu-Ray, which you can watch to your hearts content.

Expect a lag of 6 - 12 months before programmes on Sky are available on disc.

In my opinion, LOVEFiLM Instant + By Post for 9.99 (2 discs at a time) and Netflix for 6 is a bargain compared to pay TV. Sure you have to wait a bit longer for some programmes but 15.99 for an absolute shed load of content is peanuts compared to even a basic Sky package, plus you can watch almost all of it in HD.
      But didn't you call to cancel recently and got a deal that persuaded you that you would be better-off staying at least for another year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast