Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Calling to cancel Sky

This is a discussion on Calling to cancel Sky within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi everyone, long time lurker here looking for some advice. I will try to keep the story short so here ...

cuna84 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Calling to cancel Sky

Hi everyone, long time lurker here looking for some advice. I will try to keep the story short so here goes... Basically my gf and I moved in together and I was allowed to have Sky since I managed to use one of the great 50% off codes for 12 months. So we currently have everything apart from line rental at half price including Entertainment Extra, HD, Sports, Movies, Unlimited Broadband. This comes to around 50-55 a month (can't remember the exact figure). However this month is the last month of the 12 months at half price and so now is the time to call Sky and inform them that we are leaving as there is no way we would keep Sky for the full price (I notice that this is a theme across other threads!). We have recently renewed the tenancy on our flat for another 6 months so perhaps this is worth bearing in mind. As far as I can see, we have a number of options:

1. Call Sky and attempt to haggle some sort of deal (I notice Stereohaven in his thread has stated it is important / a good tactic to be aware of offers from other competitors). I notice a regular offer to lure people to stay is 6 months half price. Now this would fit in perfectly with the tenancy length in the flat however I am unsure as to whether this means we would be tied into another 12 month contract? If so then it is not an ideal solution.

2. Stick with the cancellation option and "leave Sky in a months time", then get my gf to use a 12 month 50% half price code (I notice there are a few about again at the moment).

3. Leave Sky TV completely and perhaps the least favourable option, though we would still require BB (+ Line rental) from a provider.

So to sum up my key questions are: What is a good tactic when calling on the phone to attempt to negotiate a good "staying" deal. I know this can vary from caller to caller but I am sure there are some key themes! If I were offered 6 months half price, would I be tied into another 12 month contract, or would it merely be a rolling monthly contract of which the first 6 would be 50% off (ideal solution with the length of flat tenancy).

Many thanks in advance for all advice, it is gratefully received!
      Last edited by cuna84; 28-08-13 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Punctuation

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Calling to cancel Sky

The chocie is entirely yours, but be prepared to have your bluff called.

Sky does change the available deals on a regular basis. What is available this month can change next week quite easily and often does.

Do some research first. See what is available from TalkTalk, VM and BT Retail. See what price the package would be for you that would offer the channels that you watch and whether it includes multi-room or not and take it from there.

Sometimes the people in 'Cancellations' can match the price or better it, other times someone will say 'thank you, the cancellation will go through on .....'.

Do remember not to cancel the telephone & broadband unless you are actually prepared to have a down period of around 3 weeks without the telephone & broadband, unless you are able to move to VM.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks for that Scubbie, much appreciated. I was just wondering whether you would know that should I be lucky enough to be offered 6 months half price, would I be entering another 12 month contract or it is a 1 month rolling contract situation?

Thanks

99% of the time, when you take a deal with Sky you will also be agreeing to stay with Sky for that product for a further 12 months. In most cases cancelling early will have a penalty.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Ah ok many thanks, so unless we get offered a great deal, it looks like the best option is to cancel and for my girlfriend to sign up with a 50% off for 12 months code?

djsb29 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

you cant sign up at the same address as a new customer for at least 12 months... even if you dont put it in your name..

Thanks

You sure about that djsb29, what happens should my girlfriend and I move out, are you saying any new tenant by no fault of their own couldn't sign up with a new offer, seems strange to me. I know you can't sign up in your own name but we aren't married (yet).

djsb29 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ah,

as as you have different names you might be okay!

Thanks

Quite a few members in the past have reported success from pulling this stunt (i.e. husband cancels, wife joins in her name). A simple claim 'that he has left' tends to work quite well. There would be nothing stopping the husband from moving back later .

The next year, strangely enough, it is the wife who leaves.

Thanks

Those were my thoughts Scubbie, wasn't trying to have a go at you djsb29, just couldn't work out how Sky could enforce that rule without penalising people unwittingly! Thanks again for the heads up, will be ringing Sky relatively soon, lets see what we get

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast