Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

BT or Sky Line Rental?

This is a discussion on BT or Sky Line Rental? within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello, I am with Sky for TV, Network and Phone (Evening/Weekend) but not line rental; still paying that to BT ...

IAmBob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prestwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

BT or Sky Line Rental?

Hello,

I am with Sky for TV, Network and Phone (Evening/Weekend) but not line rental; still paying that to BT - currently working out at 14.60 a month after deductions but that is due to go up I believe.

I had a letter through from Sky 'suggesting' I switch my line rental to them and get 50% off for the first year, then 14.40 thereafter (until the next price rise ofc...)
      This is about a 100 saving compared to staying with BT for the first year and probably about 15-20 each subsequent year.

My question is, is there any benefit to having the line with BT?
      Be it easier to get OpenReach out to action fault resolution or avoiding a costly reconnection should I switch provider or anything else I haven't thought of?

Thanks
      -Robert

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: BT or Sky Line Rental?

The calls package you are currently on (Evening/Weekend) is no longer available to new customers. If changing line rental supplier unless upgrading your calls package at the same time I would ensure that you are able to keep your current calls package. It appears that BT Retail sometimes have shorter wait times for BTOR engineer call outs but this should not happen and steps are being taken to prevent this. Dependent on who your new provider is there may be a reconnection charge or a longer contract involved when switching from Sky line rental compared to BT.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Sky still charge for 0870/0844/0845 numbers which I don't think BT do on most packages do they?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      Sky still charge for 0870/0844/0845 numbers which I don't think BT do on most packages do they?
      Sky do not charge for 0870 numbers but that is not relevant as the OP is asking about line rental not calls package.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

There are advantages on both sides.

If you do have a problem with the Internet it could be either the line (BT's responsibility) or a problem with the actual Internet side of things.

Although we hear less of this on the forum now, as most firms insists that new customers have both broadband and line rental with them and Sky adopted the same policy from September 2011, it can still happen. This results in each provider arguing over who will book BTO if the other is aware of each other's problems.

You can also save a little extra cash by paying for the whole year's line rental in advance. I don't have the revised figures, but it will shave off the equivalent of a few pounds a month if you are able to pay 12 months worth of line rental to either BT or Sky.
      IAmBob likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You can also save a little extra cash by paying for the whole year's line rental in advance. I don't have the revised figures, but it will shave off the equivalent of a few pounds a month if you are able to pay 12 months worth of line rental to either BT or Sky.
      As the calls package is with Sky if you purchase BT's Line Rental Saver BT will add a 2 per month penalty charge to your bill unless at least two chargeable calls per month are made through BT. Line Rental Saver | Help | BT.com Help
      Last edited by seawright; 13-01-13 at 09:39 PM.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

From this page (under the first 'show offers' tab)
      Sky Broadband - Get the best Broadband deals when you join Sky

Upfront line rental offer: Available to new and existing customers taking Sky Broadband, Talk and line rental. Line rental is charged as an upfront cost of 119.40 for the entire 12 months. Equivalent to 9.95 per month - a saving of 54.60 over 12 months. Standard monthly price 14.50. After the 12 months has ended, you will automatically be moved on to the standard monthly price, unless you specify otherwise. Offer ends 29 June 2013.
      Last edited by gymno; 18-01-13 at 03:51 PM. Reason: posted correct link this time
      Scubbie likes this.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

How are call charges not relevant? With line rental comes call changes which are different from both BT and Sky. I'll keep my gob shut in future shall I????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      How are call charges not relevant? With line rental comes call changes which are different from both BT and Sky. I'll keep my gob shut in future shall I????
      Sorry if I came over a little abrupt it's just that the OP already has their calls with Sky. The discussion is purely about whether to change their line rental from BT to Sky. Your contributions are always welcome.

IAmBob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prestwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thank you for the responses.
      I am of the impression there is no real benefit either way and any reconnection fees I get later will be absorbed by the saving made in the first 1.5-2years going forward.
      I am reasonably fortunate to be close enough to the exchange to get 'near' headline throughput, subsequently fibre would need to come down in price or be faster still to warrant an upgrade given my needs at this time...and ofc Sky's price will likely be competitive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      As the calls package is with Sky if you purchase BT's Line Rental Saver BT will add a 2 per month penalty charge to your bill unless at least two chargeable calls per month are made through BT. Line Rental Saver | Help | BT.com Help
      Unfortunately Seawright, this isn't an option for me. I tried this 2 years ago or so when I moved some services to Sky and was refused on the basis that you need to have your calls package with BT to sign up. The small print on the website still confirms this today .

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast