Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ask openreach engineer to install new phones lines next to each sky+ hd boxes?

This is a discussion on Ask openreach engineer to install new phones lines next to each sky+ hd boxes? within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; My phone/broadband install is in few days. When the openreach engineer comes to my house on the installation date. Shall ...

Jazz78 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Ask openreach engineer to install new phones lines next to each sky+ hd boxes?

My phone/broadband install is in few days.

When the openreach engineer comes to my house on the installation date. Shall I Ask can you install phone lines next to each sky+ hd box ?

I remember when I had sky tv installed the guy said when the openreach engineer comes. Ask him to install phone lines next to each sky+ hd box.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Ask openreach engineer to install new phones lines next to each sky+ hd boxes?

If there is already a telephone master socket in the property then the Openreach engineer will connect your telephone line to that. If there isn't he will normally install it near to the point where the phone line enters your property. He is allowed a little flexibillity but not much so certainly tell him where you would like it and he'll let you know whether he can put it there. I assume you have Sky multiroom. In which case there is a requirement for all your boxes to be connected to a working phone line. The Openreach engineer will not do this. If you require assistance to connect your Sky boxes call the engineer who installed your boxes, if it is less than a month ago, or call Sky and they will make arrangements for a Sky engineer to visit you.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Ask openreach engineer to install new phones lines next to each sky+ hd boxes?

You are responsible for any wiring after the Master Socket. You can engage the services of a local contractor or you can install the extensions yourself.

If it is too complicated to install an extension near to one of the STBs then you may wish to consider one of these:

DECT Wireless Phone Line Extender : Extension Cables & Kits : Maplin Electronics

Other members have used this product. Just ensure that you switch it to "Modem" mode.

I would also suggest that you look to connect up both STBs to your home network. If you end up getting a telephone line put in, get some Cat 5e Ethernet cable put in at the same time.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms