Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast
    Like Tree31Likes

Sky IPV6 Settings for Non Sky routers

This is a discussion on Sky IPV6 Settings for Non Sky routers within the IPv6 forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by det Is this still happening? Would be interesting to see some pcaps around the 23 - 24hr ...

cpitchford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky IPV6 Settings for Non Sky routers

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
      Is this still happening? Would be interesting to see some pcaps around the 23 - 24hr mark (filtered for just dhcpv4/dhcpv6 of course) if you don't mind sending them to a random on the internet .
      I've disabled my work around so should have some decent results this time tomorrow.

Sky's BNGs require re-authentication of your line every 24 hours.
      Historically, Openreach's VDSL MSANs only insert the Option 82 info used for authentication, in to the DHCPv4 Discover/Renews.
      Although they have recently begun inserting the equivalent DHCPv6 options in on a small footprint (presumably the Huawei MSANs), and the new G.Fast MSANs.

As previously spotted, whilst DHCPv4 includes some entropy in to its renew frequency, the DHCPv6 RFC doesn't, so you will see the renews of the two address families start to skew over a long period of time.
      However, as soon as the DHCPv4 lease is renewed after that 24hr period, DHCPv6 should recover, they're both set to the same lease times, so they could only ever be at max 30mins a part, and this should *just* be quick enough for DHCPv6 to renew/rebind before expirey.
      That's not entirely what I was seeing

My DHCP client, after a restart sends

DISCOVER >>>
      OFFER <<<
      REQUEST >>>
      ACK <<<

Then as you've stated, it sends a renew request periodically

REQUEST >>>
      ACK <<<

After 24 hours, the dhcp client continues to send renews (REQUEST, ACK) but this doesn't unblock the DHCP6 client.

Its only after the DHCP client sends a DISCOVER again that the dhcp6 client starts working. The issue here is that I can't find a reason why the DHCP4 client would ever need to send a DISCOVER if it regularly renews by sending a REQUEST.

For me, restarting the dhcp4 client causes it to send a DISCOVER and in doing so every couple of hours, the dhcp6 client continues to work.

>>> However, as soon as the DHCPv4 lease is renewed after that 24hr period, DHCPv6 should recover,

This doesn't seem to be the case, a renew (REQUEST ACK) doesn''t have an affect on dhcp6, only an DISCOVER OFFER

2. Advertisement
      det
      det is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky FTTH
      Router: Edgerouter ERLite-3
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpitchford View Post
      Its only after the DHCP client sends a DISCOVER again that the dhcp6 client starts working. The issue here is that I can't find a reason why the DHCP4 client would ever need to send a DISCOVER if it regularly renews by sending a REQUEST.
      Indeed.

>>> However, as soon as the DHCPv4 lease is renewed after that 24hr period, DHCPv6 should recover,

This doesn't seem to be the case, a renew (REQUEST ACK) doesn''t have an affect on dhcp6, only an DISCOVER OFFER
      Hrmm. It shouldn't matter, but do you know how far apart the DHCPv4 Requests and DHCPv6 Solicits are?

jkhl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear Nighthawk R7000
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I've disabled my work around so should have some decent results this time tomorrow.

That's not entirely what I was seeing

My DHCP client, after a restart sends

DISCOVER >>>
      OFFER <<<
      REQUEST >>>
      ACK <<<

Then as you've stated, it sends a renew request periodically

REQUEST >>>
      ACK <<<

After 24 hours, the dhcp client continues to send renews (REQUEST, ACK) but this doesn't unblock the DHCP6 client.

For me, restarting the dhcp4 client causes it to send a DISCOVER and in doing so every couple of hours, the dhcp6 client continues to work.

Did you get anywhere with this? This is driving me up the wall on my OpenWRT (Luci) router. I too am on an old Pro static connection.

Any tips to work around? I'm clueless.

Thanks.

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I am still on old static pro and the ipv6 issue still persists but my other connection (at different location) on dynamic is fine and still holds its ipv6 prefix with opnsense. I am thinking of asking sky to switch my static to a non static ip and see if it cures it....
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats

click for Huawei VDSL line stats

det
      Exchange:
      Thanks

So for a bit more detail on the problem, Openreach have recently enabled LDRA for DHCPv6 Option insertion across some of their DSLAMs (and OLTs).
      Prior to this, DHCPv6 Solicits would be authenticated based on the DHCPv4 Option 82.2 Remote-ID.

However now that the Remote-ID is present in the DHCPv6 messaging, they're being authenticated natively, and failing. This requires a slight tweak to the RADIUS authentication logic. This is being worked on.

There's more detail in this blog post: https://ttlexpired.co.uk/2015/07/12/...ps-challenges/
      (Note the comment about the additional 4 bytes being prepended. Openreach *aren't* doing this, which would've actually made things simpler, except now those 4 bytes are being stripped off because of other non-Openreach services.)

SimonBarber is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Edinburgh Waverley
      Router: Draytek Vigor 2860n
      Thanks

Glad to have found this forum as I've recently moved from Sky Broadband Pro to Sky Fibre Pro have been experiencing the same IPv6 issues. Thought I was going mad.

I've got a Draytek Vigor 2860n and it worked perfectly on ADSL2 (PPPoA for IPv4 and PPP for IPv6). Now it's MPoA/ DHCP client for IPv4 and DHCPv6 for IPv6.

IPv4 is rock solid and IPv6 gets an address pretty quick but loses it after ~24 hours. I've tried doing an IPv4 DHCP release and renew followed by an IPv6 release via the CLI but the v6 address never renews. Only issuing a vdsl reboot brings it back (with the corresponding drop in connection whilst it reconnects.)

det
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hopefully the fix will get rolled out in a week or two.

Thankfully it doesn't seem to be impacting Sky Hubs, only some 3rd party routers. I suspect that the random entropy being added to the DHCPv4 renews on the Sky Hubs is less than the 3rd party routers, which means the DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 leases don't skew as much as they do on 3rd party routers. (The DHCPv6 RFC doesn't specify to add entropy, so it's fixed at leasetime/2)

det
      Exchange:
      Thanks

The fix for this should be fully rolled out by the end of Feb. Hopefully you will all see an improvement in your DHCPv6 PD lease stability then.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to det For This Useful Post:

SimonBarber (17-02-20)

SimonBarber is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Edinburgh Waverley
      Router: Draytek Vigor 2860n
      Thanks

Thanks - I've had to disable ipv6 on the Draytek as it's been causing weird issues when the v6 renewal fails (seems to fill up some internal table/ cache and no longer allows inbound traffic but internet access from the flat is fine.) I'll re-enable it every few days to see if it's stabilised.
      det likes this.

det
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SimonBarber View Post
      I've had to disable ipv6 on the Draytek as it's been causing weird issues when the v6 renewal fails
      We spotted an interesting issue with Drayteks when using PPP the other day. They appear to regenerate a random DHCPv6 IAID every time the the PPP session flaps, which means a new DHCPv6 lease and consequently a different IPv6 Prefix Delegation each time.

When using native DHCPv6 on IPoE, you can manually specify the IAID in their web UI, but not when using DHCPv6 over PPP.

Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast