Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
    Like Tree30Likes

Sky IPV6 Settings for Non Sky routers

This is a discussion on Sky IPV6 Settings for Non Sky routers within the IPv6 forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by chrcol Looks like sky changed something within the past few months, me and a friend both have ...

cpitchford is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky IPV6 Settings for Non Sky routers

Quote Originally Posted by chrcol View Post
      Looks like sky changed something within the past few months, me and a friend both have observed on a manual reconnect the ipv6 will initially work, but then after a random amount of time sky's dhcp6 server's stop responding to renew requests.

Since martin is no longer a sky customer I guess this wont get resolved.
      Now this is interesting! I have my netgear DM200 modem plugged into a switch, and my router plugged in using 802.1q I've noticed that 23h30mins after bringing the connection up, the DHCP6 server at sky stops responding.

Yesterday I replaced my switch as I thought it might be down to MLD or some multicast fun and games. The new switch definitely does more IGMP/MLD stuff but the problem persists and my connection dropped this afternoon.

I'm using a Trunk port from my router. This means it has two networks using the same cable. One for the connection to the modem (we'll call this internet) and another for my internal network (internal)

If I drop the internet interface and bring it back up (ifconfig internet down; ifconfig internet up) then restart the dhcp6 client, I re-gain my IP address.

The question is, what does bringing the interface down and back up do to the network in order to change things and get the modem working again?

I've used TCPdump to capture traffic. Normally, with a regular network interface, you can't run tcpdump before the interface is up... so you need to bring it up and then start a capture.

With my network, because I'm using a trunk port, I can leave the trunk up (eth0) and restart the vlan interface (internet).

This let me capture all the traffic that went out of eth0 as the network was restarted.

There's a bunch of multicast subscription stuff, some neighbour solicitation/adverts (for the link-local ipv6 address) but nothing that looks or feels out of the ordinary.

I've even tried "tcpreplay" to send the captured packets back out onto the network to see if they restart anything but no such luck

I've re-arranged my network today into a dedicated vlan trunk with a cable into the modem (i.e taken the switch away)

Tomorrow I'll have a go at capturing the traffic when the link fails AND then when I restart the interface and it comes back up.

I'm confident it must be something my machine sends out onto the network that gets the link working again. Its not a link down trigger either since the trunk port stays live. Maybe its a dynamic 1q thing?

Dunno.. Its really irritating though.. I'd love to get to the bottom of it, and I'm relieved I'm not the only person having ipv6 drop outs.

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrcol View Post
      Looks like sky changed something within the past few months, me and a friend both have observed on a manual reconnect the ipv6 will initially work, but then after a random amount of time sky's dhcp6 server's stop responding to renew requests.

Since martin is no longer a sky customer I guess this wont get resolved.
      I rarely scan these pages now but a new post popped up in my inbox. I've looked at SkyECI's logs and it appears that Sky's dhcp6 server just ignores the renew request that the clients routers send out. However as you say, not being a Sky BB customer it's not easy to track down what's happening, especially when his mum's system is fine...

Static addresses are a wonderful thing.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes all very odd. 2 services from sky both on opnsense qotoms in different locations. Mums being on dynamic ipv4 is fine with no loss of ipv6. Mine on old fibre pro with static ipv4 breaks ipv6 at around 12 hours. I was thinking I might as well ask for my static to be scrapped and revert it back to dynamic and see if it cures it...
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      I rarely scan these pages now but a new post popped up in my inbox. I've looked at SkyECI's logs and it appears that Sky's dhcp6 server just ignores the renew request that the clients routers send out. However as you say, not being a Sky BB customer it's not easy to track down what's happening, especially when his mum's system is fine...

Static addresses are a wonderful thing.

This is very strange!

I'm now using a single ethernet cable plugged into my modem.
      I'm using TCPdump to capture all the traffic (which means untagged traffic that is between the modem and my router) and the tagged traffic on vlan id 101 (which is between my router and sky.

I saw this evening, again 23h30m after starting the connection, it failed again.

I gave it a good poking about to see if I could get it working again, but it stayed unresponsive. It was not responding to router solicitations, or DHCP6 requests, or even neighbour discovery.

On my linux router i did:

Code:
      vconfig rem ethX.101 # unconfigure the vlan interface, internet connection drops
      vconfig add ethX 101 # reconfigure vlan interface
      dhclient -1 -4 ..... # start up the dhcp client to get the v4 address, it succeeds.
      dhclient -1 -6 ....  # start up the 2nd dhcp client to get the v6 address, it also succeeds
      Now, this is without taking the link down.

Lessons so far:

• restarting the dhcp6 client does not bring the link back, at all.. it timesout/gives up
      • restarting the interface (bringing it down and back up) fixes the dhcp6 client and the IP comes back straight away

Thinks I've not tried, but will try tomorrow.

• When the link fails, stop and re-start the dhcp4 client, then restart the dhcp6 client.
      • I suspect the dhcp6 connection does not renew until after the dhcp4 has renewed.

I'm wondering if its an out of sync issue.

DHCP4 is renewing every X minutes, DHCP6 is renewing ever Y minutes... and they're gradually going out of sync so (just before the link fails) the gap between v4 and v6 renews is too large; the DHCPv4 renew opens a window for a DHCPv6 renew to happen.. and unless that renew happens within this short window, it can't be renewed again?!

Dunno.. Really weird and extremely frustrating.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

renew really doesn't care. You can send the renew any time you like up and until the lease expires. The issue that I've seen is that the server does not respond to the renew 'request'. I've put 'request' in quotes as to start the while process off you send a REQUEST 'request'

The lease time on Sky IIRC, unless they have changed it, is 3600, so renews should be being sent starting at 1800 ( 30 minutes )... however if you want to send the renew at 5 minutes it should still respond.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      renew really doesn't care. You can send the renew any time you like up and until the lease expires. The issue that I've seen is that the server does not respond to the renew 'request'. I've put 'request' in quotes as to start the while process off you send a REQUEST 'request'

The lease time on Sky IIRC, unless they have changed it, is 3600, so renews should be being sent starting at 1800 ( 30 minutes )... however if you want to send the renew at 5 minutes it should still respond.

I've done yet more digging.

I can see my DHCP4 client renewing regularly, but again 23h30mins after first gaining an IPv6 lease, Sky stop responding to my DHCP6 client.

Broken traffic:

Code:
      ME -> SKY DHCP4 Request
      SKY -> ME DHCP4 ACK
      ME -> SKY DHCP6 SOLICIT unanswered
      Restarting the DHCP6 client:
      Code:
      ME -> SKY DHCP6 REBIND unanswered
      However, if I restart my dhcp4 client
      Code:
      ME -> SKY DHCP4 REQUEST
      SKY -> ME DHCP4 ACK
      If I release my IPv4 address and renew

Code:
      ME -> SKY DHCP RELEASE
      ME -> SKY DHCP DISCOVER
      SKY -> ME DHCP4 OFFER
      ME -> SKY DHCP REQUEST
      SKY -> ME DHCP4 ACK
      ME -> SKY DHCP6 REBIND
      SKY -> ME DHCP6 REPLY
      Sky ignores my DHCP6 right up until I issue a DHCP4 RELEASE, DISCOVER, then REQUEST

I'm not sure which unsticks the process

Restarting my dhcp4 client just re-sends a REQUEST, but instructing the client to release means it goes through the whole process of re-requesting the same IP address again in a new lease

This seems unblock sky and it responds to DHCP6 requests again.

I don't know what's significant about 24 hours, there's nothing coming back in the DHCP offers to suggest something needs to happen 24 hours later.

I think asking the dhcp4 client to release + renew every 2 hours would be enough to fix this. but I don't know what effect this would have on a subscriber without static IP. I'm guessing it is equally bad!

Lastly, if I can find an easy way, I'll try port mirroring on my switch to monitor the traffic between my unused sky q router and my modem. See if I can spot something unexpected or abnormal the router sends to the modem/dhcp servers.

For the moment I'm convinced this is to do with releasing / renewing IPv4 addresses in order to force the dhcp6 server into working again

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Weird thing is my 2nd line not on static ipv4 with sky has no issue at all in keeping the ipv6 prefix for weeks/days.. My static ipv4 just doesnt work with ipv6 properly anymore
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I changed my DHCPv4 client end of last week. I've set it up to go through a restart process every 5 hours.

The client is stopped (without sending a release and without de-configuring the network interface)
      The current lease is marked as expired (updating the times in the lease file to the current time)
      The client is restarted.

The DHCPv4 client immediately sends a DISCOVERY request and Sky responds with an OFFER. The client then continues with a REQUEST and receives an ACK as it would when renewing a current lease.

After the DISCOVERY/OFFER, it seems the DHCPv6 server starts responding again.

Summary: The DHCPv6 server goes deaf 23.5 hours after the last DISCOVER request was sent by the DHCPv4 client. Force the client to send a DISCOVERY again fixes the DHCPv6 server for another 23.5 hours.

Still to do: I'm going to attach my Sky Q router to my modem and capture the DHCP traffic sent between the two. This might show if the DHCPv6 client sends unusual traffic (like these unnecessary DISCOVER request or maybe uses different DHCPv6 options like the DHCPv4 client needs to)

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243