Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Like Tree30Likes

Sky IPV6 Settings for Non Sky routers

This is a discussion on Sky IPV6 Settings for Non Sky routers within the IPv6 forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by davews We really need more information for setting up non-Sky routers and highlighting the problems some are ...

stillmyself is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky bb unlimited pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky IPV6 Settings for Non Sky routers

Quote Originally Posted by davews View Post
      We really need more information for setting up non-Sky routers and highlighting the problems some are encountering. In my case, TP-Link TD-W8968, where it does give me a 2002:c78:... block of addresses but all iPv6 transfers just time out. It seems when it works IPv6 is fine, but getting it going when it doesn't is not for the faint hearted. Simple straightforward instructions for the normal user and how to find the relevant settings when these are buried under not so user friendly modem web interfaces.
      But of course we have absolutely nothing from Sky themselves at the moment...
      That's a 6to4 tunnel address. The 4 hex pairs after the 2002 ought to be your external ipv4 address (ie it ought to start 12.120...).

It won't route outside your network without another (ipv4) end to the tunnel.

I don't expect much from Sky atm, as they're focused on rolling out across their network, which will entail upgrading and checking home router firmware versions. If they 'supported' ipv6, they'd be swamped with support requests. However, documentation to support a self-help group would be good. An expected milestone plan would be useful, too, to set expectations and aid planning.

I've been working with various 'embedded' systems builders over the past few years. From a s/w engineering pov, the approach and quality tends to be weak. It would work well for wholly defined requirements, but even the simple world of CPE is getting increasingly complex, so it breaks down (the requirements for the gui are not well defined and the system is not designed to be testable, so 'working' is defined as 'doing what it does'.) Acceptance criteria tend to be 'it fulfills these usecases with this specific environmental setup'. So any change not only breaks the environment, but means that there's very little tooling to troubleshoot.

Unfortunately from a PR point of view, IPv6 will coincide with increasing in-premises connectivity, so failed / difficult setups will be blamed on IPv6, even if they would be impossible on IPv4 or ill-designed because the complex problem is the first one that the designer encounters.

2. Advertisement
      davews is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Sorry, I mistyped from the scrap of paper I had in front of me. I have a 2a02:c7d:3bab:... address which I thought was in the Sky IPv6 block, together with one starting fd2a:5d5a:4653:0...

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Is there any way to tell for sure if your local exchange is enabled if using a non sky router?

I am scoring 12 /20 with my Billion 7800N but that is with Teredo tunnelling.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry, I mistyped from the scrap of paper I had in front of me. I have a 2a02:c7d:3bab:... address which I thought was in the Sky IPv6 block, together with one starting fd2a:5d5a:4653:0...
      that's a pukka sky address. the fd2a one is unique local address (similar to the rfc 1918 addresses).

how'd you get the tp-link to give you that. I had a 9980 and couldn't get it to work at all.

davews is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stillmyself View Post
      how'd you get the tp-link to give you that. I had a 9980 and couldn't get it to work at all.
      See my two posts #77 and #78 on page 8 of this thread which has a screenshot of the settings.
      I would assume that since I am getting a pukka Sky IPv6 address my exchange has been upgraded.... a month ago my broadband was down for a few hours and when it came back I realised they had upgraded my connection.

Exchange:
      Thanks

See my two posts #77 and #78 on page 8 of this thread which has a screenshot of the settings.
      I would assume that since I am getting a pukka Sky IPv6 address my exchange has been upgraded.... a month ago my broadband was down for a few hours and when it came back I realised they had upgraded my connection.
      ok. UI totally different to the 9980, which has no ipv6 options with pppoa. Doesn't disprove my hypothesis that there's a regression in the 9980 UI.

I don't think that you've got a Teredo tunnel, tho' as those start: 2001:0000::/32 (I know that I can leave out the 0000, but I wanted to emphasise the fixed parts as, for instance, HE/tunnelbroker addresses start 2001:470::/32.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

We really need more information for setting up non-Sky routers and highlighting the problems some are encountering. In my case, TP-Link TD-W8968, where it does give me a 2002:c78:... block of addresses but all iPv6 transfers just time out. It seems when it works IPv6 is fine, but getting it going when it doesn't is not for the faint hearted. Simple straightforward instructions for the normal user and how to find the relevant settings when these are buried under not so user friendly modem web interfaces.
      But of course we have absolutely nothing from Sky themselves at the moment...
      The whole purpose of this thread when I started it was for users who had 'successfully' got IPv6 to work on non-sky routers to post their experiences and pass that info on, it's a learning curve.

We know that certain non-Sky routers are working, albeit in some cases with some tweaks here and there...

If you are going to go down the path of using a router that Sky has not provided then there will be problems along the way, this is part of the 'fun'!
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

coipu is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Mine still works great (rtac68u) on native with googles ipv6 dns set, and passes all the tests on the ipv6 test sites, but have to turn ipv6 off if I enable OpenVPN on router as there are leaking issues I can't fix yet.

Thanks

Yep, we also know that WRT is working and pfSense works with a patch - the next pfSense release will have that in place so no need to patch. So, let's start making a list. I'll show the settings needed for pfSense

Asus RT-AC68u
      OpenWRT
      pfSense -
      WAN Interface IPv6 configuration use DHCP6 - Select only request prefix delegation. Prefix size 56 ( not really needed as you'll get that anyway )
      LAN interface IPv6 configuration - Track WAN IPv6 interface
      . IPv6 Prefix ID 0
      DHCP6 Server and RA - Enable DHCP6 server in LAN interface and in RA set Router Mode - Assisted

People... please add your routers and any notes if you know they are working with Sky IPv6, no tunnels ( 6to4 ) allowed.
      Last edited by marjohn56; 11-07-16 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks

In addition to my previous posting, here are images from my setup to help anyone running pfSense.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dhcp6_services.JPG 
Views:	1310 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	6199

Name:	LAN_Setup_1.JPG 
Views:	1188 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	6201

Name:	WAN_Setup_1.JPG 
Views:	1031 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	6202

Name:	WAN_Setup_2.JPG 
Views:	1072 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	6203

- - - Updated - - -

@dog-man, do you not have access to your sky router, just to prove the point?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky IPV6 Settings for Non Sky routers-dhcp6_services_ra.jpg  
      coipu likes this.

Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast