Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ignore Virgin Media’s UK Cable Network Expansion Letters at Your Peril

This is a discussion on Ignore Virgin Media’s UK Cable Network Expansion Letters at Your Peril within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Ignore Virgin Media's UK Cable Network Expansion Letters at Your Peril - ISPreview UK Most of us have become so ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Ignore Virgin Media’s UK Cable Network Expansion Letters at Your Peril

Ignore Virgin Media's UK Cable Network Expansion Letters at Your Peril - ISPreview UK
      Most of us have become so familiar with the postman delivering marketing letters from the big ISPs that we now bin them without a second thought. One problem with this is that sometimes those letters carry important information, such when Virgin Media intend to dig up your pavement.

At present Virgin Media are conducting a huge £3bn network expansion (Project Lightning) to reach an additional 4 million properties by 2019, which means that around 60-65% of homes and businesses across the United Kingdom should soon be able to take their 300Mbps capable broadband and TV services.

As part of that the operator typically writes letters to local residents in order to inform them of their plans for the area and what work will need to be done, such as digging up local roads and pavements. At this point anybody with a concern can raise the issue, but a few people are being caught out because they overlook the letters (i.e. assuming them to be the same old junk as usual).

For example, some residents of Balloch and Craigmarloch in Scotland have recently been complaining after they returned home to find a lot of disruption around their property and a poor quality of remedial work (here).

Barry McCulloch, Cumbernauld North Councillor, said:

“I am urging everyone to ensure that if they get a letter from Virgin, they open it and read it. It might just be advertising, but it could be to tell you that cables are due to be installed in your street.

I know of some residents who have contacted Virgin to tell them not to dig on their property, but other people have been surprised to find their driveways being dug up.
      A Virgin Media Spokesperson said:

“While we continue to expand our fibre broadband network to more homes across the country, we endeavour to minimise disruption for the local communities.

In this case we have received one defect notice and we apologise to North Lanarkshire Council and the local residents affected by the streetworks carried out by contract partners on behalf of Virgin Media.

We are working with our contractors to ensure that all work is carried out with professionalism and at the highest standard, and to safeguard against such mistakes in the future.”
      Such disruption is generally a small price to pay if it means gaining access to much better broadband connectivity, although naturally the work must be completed properly. However ISPs should take some of the blame for situations like the one above as if they didn’t put out so much junk then people might be more inclined to actually open the letters.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Ignore Virgin Media’s UK Cable Network Expansion Letters at Your Peril

Interesting. VM are about to 'cable my street'. To get to my neighbours property they have to dig up my drive. Today I got a letter with a comtract to sign authorising them to do it and have constant access. The letter is clear that if I don't sign the contract then the cables won't be laid.

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Hello All
      Many years ago when VM operated under another Name which I have forgotten : A work crew turned up
      in our close to start digging up the pathway & cable all the dwelliing's , this meant digging up all
      of the Front Gardens. I happened (lucky) to be at Home & watched in Horror as they dug at 45 Degrees
      across My neighbour's lawn.I did manage to avoid the same fate but the action caused months of problems
      for the homeowners at the time. So Beware of Men with Shovels.....!!!!!!

Although I have a VM Box on the outside wall this has Never been Used............err

Just a Thought............have a Good Weekend

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

It was Telewest where I used to live. There were a few providers that Virgin swallowed up.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------