Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By BurnIT
    • 2 Post By BurnIT

BTís Openreach to Boost UK Service Quality by Hiring 1,500 New Engineers

This is a discussion on BTís Openreach to Boost UK Service Quality by Hiring 1,500 New Engineers within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; BT's Openreach to Boost UK Service Quality by Hiring 1,500 New Engineers - ISPreview UK Last weekís deal with Ofcom ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,169 Times in 2,044 Posts

BTís Openreach to Boost UK Service Quality by Hiring 1,500 New Engineers

BT's Openreach to Boost UK Service Quality by Hiring 1,500 New Engineers - ISPreview UK
      Last weekís deal with Ofcom to begin the ďlegal separationĒ of BTís network access division (here) has begun a process that will also see Openreach hire an additional 1,500 UK telecoms and broadband engineers in order to help boost their service quality and performance.

The new recruitment drive is expected to take place over the next eight months and follows hot on the heels of several similar announcements from BTís Consumer and Mobile (EE) division (here and here). At present the BT Group as a whole employs aroundt 80,000 people across the United Kingdom and 32,000 of those will soon be transferred to the legally separate Openreach division.

Ofcom
      ís related Strategic Review also promised to introduce even tougher minimum service quality requirements, which are intended to push Openreach into repairing faults and installing new lines more quickly. In addition, Openreachís forthcoming commercial roll-out of G.fast broadband technology and their ramping-up of the FTTP deployment will also benefit from having a few extra hands on-board.

As a result of that Openreachís CEO, Clive Selley, yesterday told staff that he expects most of the new recruits to find jobs within their network maintenance teams and that in turn should bring down their fault rate and improve the service. Weíve seen similar moves like this before and as a result Openreach has tended to stay ahead of Ofcomís performance targets.

The regulator will shortly begin their next Ď2017 Wholesale Local Access Market ReviewĎ which, aside from re-examining the wholesale price of superfast broadband services, will also aim to define the next batch of performance targets for Openreach. The new recruitment drive is thus Openreachís attempt to stay ahead of any expectations that Ofcom might set.

2. Advertisement
      BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: BTís Openreach to Boost UK Service Quality by Hiring 1,500 New Engineers

Curious how that, now they are being split off, there aren't enough staff to service the quality requirements!!
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

It's all in the wording isn't it.

BTO has over the past few years had a similar announcement for new recruits. I can't recall all the figures, but I seem to recall one year being above 2,000. This tells me that either they are limited by their training facilities and can't increase the numbers easily or have a high turnover.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Having worked, in the distant past, at BT's HQ in Martlesham, I can say that the conditions are VERY strict and individual thought or actions were NOT allowed.
      While I was there I spotted a serious error in a computer program that could easily have huge conequences in peoples bills.
      I was told to ignore it and that it was none of my business, even though I was actually tasked to make changes to that program and expected to put my name to it. I refused to touch it.
      jayhab and Scubbie like this.

Thanks

It makes you wonder jst what is still around today hidden in all that code.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms