Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

First 330Mbps BT G.fast Broadband Pilot Customer Goes Live in Kent UK

This is a discussion on First 330Mbps BT G.fast Broadband Pilot Customer Goes Live in Kent UK within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; First 330Mbps BT G.fast Broadband Pilot Customer Goes Live in Kent UK - ISPreview UK Openreach ( BT ) has ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

First 330Mbps BT G.fast Broadband Pilot Customer Goes Live in Kent UK

First 330Mbps BT G.fast Broadband Pilot Customer Goes Live in Kent UK - ISPreview UK
      Openreach (BT) has today announced that the first customer on their new pilot of ‘up to’ 330Mbps capable hybrid fibre G.fast (ITU G.9700/9701) broadband technology has gone live in Gillingham (Kent). The pilot aims to reach 138,000 premises in 17 UK locations by the end of March 2017.

The PR blurb claims that the family run business of Temiz book-keeping Ltd has now become the “first” to benefit from their planned roll-out to reach 10 million homes and businesses across the United Kingdom by 2020 and then “most of the UK” by 2025 (this includes their FTTP/H commitment), although strictly speaking the operator has actually had a limited trial of G.fast running in Gillingham since last Spring.

The technology itself works by running a fibre optic cable to your local PCP Street Cabinet, which is then extended in size via the additional of a new extension “pod” that houses the G.fast line cards. Properties that exist less than 300 metres from this cabinet (copper line distance) should be able to receive download speeds of up to 330Mbps (50Mbps upload). NOTE: A 160Mbps (30Mbps upload) product option is also available.

We published a lot more detail about how the G.fast pilot works and the way it will be installed back in January 2017 (here). Today’s announcement also appears to state that every one of the planned 12 million premises by 2020 (10m G.fast + 2m FTTP) will be able to receive “ultrafast speeds of more than 100Mbps” (i.e. some will get less than the top 330Mbps speed due to G.fast signal degradation over longer copper lines than 300m).

Mehmet Uzum, Owner of Temiz book-keeping, said:

“All our client data is stored in the Cloud. Having ultrafast speeds means we can download and upload that data instantly – however many client accounts we are working on at the same time.

Uploading heavy data files could take a couple of hours with the speeds we had before but now we can achieve the same in a matter of minutes – it is a big time saver.”
      Clive Selley, CEO of Openreach, said:

“Making ultrafast speeds available to up to 12 million homes and businesses by the end of 2020 will be another boost to the UK’s thriving digital economy. We want to improve the personal and professional lives of people up and down the country, and delivering high speed G.fast services at scale and pace means we can reach more of them.

It’s great to see our the first customers being switched on and already reaping the benefits, and we’re looking forward to delivering ultrafast speeds to the largest number of people in the fastest possible time over the coming months and years.”
      At present the G.fast pilot is being run alongside a special discount price (pricing details) and as such we don’t yet know how much the final commercial product, which is due to start rolling out towards the end of 2017, will actually cost. The ISPs known to be offering a G.fast product under this pilot are BT and TalkTalk.

The pilot itself is set to run until this Summer 2017, although we note that some of the planned 17 locations won’t all be upgraded at the same time and we understand that premises in Swindon might not benefit until June. Meanwhile the commercial roll-out of G.fast isn’t expected to begin until later in H2 2017.

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: First 330Mbps BT G.fast Broadband Pilot Customer Goes Live in Kent UK

Does this mean any ex-EO line users like myself that was lucky enough to get a fibre cab installed outside their exchange, won't get G.fast as those lines don't have a separate PCP cab do they as the voice line runs straight into the exchange?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

The answer to your question very much depends on how this is deployed. At the moment it's being tested in a pilot scheme.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      Does this mean any ex-EO line users like myself that was lucky enough to get a fibre cab installed outside their exchange, won't get G.fast as those lines don't have a separate PCP cab do they as the voice line runs straight into the exchange?
      Have you checked BTs broadband availability address checker recently? You may find that your line is no longer EO and that a PCP cabinet number is listed.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Strangely enough, FTTP has just appeared on my BT checker. I doubt I could get it, even if I could afford it, as I am about a kilometre from the cabinet.

First 330Mbps BT G.fast Broadband Pilot Customer Goes Live in Kent UK-capture.jpg

Their ADSL estimate is way out as I get 10-11Mb at he moment. The Fibre looks about right as I got 26Mb during my short foray into the fibre fields.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Have you checked BTs broadband availability address checker recently? You may find that your line is no longer EO and that a PCP cabinet number is listed.
      It shows I'm connected to cab 10, but isn't that the fibre cab number, the one that was installed outside the exchange?

The G.FAST pod is connected to the telephone PCP cab and not the fibre cab, therefore, as I'm on an EO line, whilst I do now have a fibre cab; I don't think I have a telephone PCP cab and so wont get G.FAST will I?

There is only the Huawei fibre cab in front of my exchange and nothing else.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I would be interested depending on cost as I am within the 300 mtr distance from the cabinet.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I have seen PCP cabinets as well as DSLAM cabinets installed directly outside telephone exchanges though whether this solution has been applied in all cases I do not know. In the event that your DSLAM cabinet is fed directly from the exchange's distribution frame all may not be lost as shown by this extract from this article in ISP Review.

BT Updates on UK G.fast, SoGEA and "Slow Speed" Broadband Plans - ISPreview UK

Network Rearrangements (Tackling EOLs)
      BT expect to conducted a lot more Network Rearrangements in the near future, which is what Openreach often does when they want to install a new FTTC street cabinet on long copper lines, Exchange Only Lines (EOL) or in busy areas in order to improve broadband speeds / cater for rising demand.
      Apparently 2,800 street cabinets could be provided as part of this latest effort, which would be installed between February 2016 and finish in 2020/21. No doubt some of those will be funded by the Broadband Delivery UK programme as already happens.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I know there are/where a lot of EO lines in my town, hence why we were lucky enough to get a fibre cab installed outside the exchange; albeit a few months after all the other fibre cabs in my local town went live via BDUK.