Theyíre all about separating you from your money. So what should you do? How do you avoid this problem? Well, for one thing, searching for something like Hotmail support, or Outlook support or Windows support is not particularly productive. Youíre not going to find out something that you donít already know. And what is it you already know? If you want support for Windows, you go to Microsoft.com. If you want support for Outlook.com, you go to Outlook.com. If you want support for Yahoo Mail, you go to Yahoo.com.
Itís very simple; no search is required. Now, if you find that you do feel the need to search for help, please understand that there are ads on the search results page and understand how to distinguish those ads from the real search results. The real search results are where you should be paying your attention. The ads especially in situations like this can be particularly distracting and particularly misleading making promises that simply canít be met.
Regardless how the engagement happens, be it with an unsolicited phone call to you, be it with a pop-up that requests you call a specific number or be it via an advertisement shown in the search results, donít engage. Just donít engage these people; donít call them; donít engage them on the phone; hang up on them if they call you. Itís really that simple. If you need help, if you find yourself in a situation where you truly have issues with your computer, ask someone you already trust. Even if they then give you a recommendation for someone to call or someone to trust in their stead, thatís fantastic; thatís information; thatís data from a trusted source.
But when you reach out to people that youíve never heard of before or worse, when people youíve never heard of before reach out to you, thatís a bad sign. Thatís a scenario where youíre very likely to get taken and to have your money taken from you. So, what if itís too late? What if one of these scenarios or something like it happened to you?
What if you answered the phone; you followed their instructions; you saw all these bogus error messages on your computer; you let them have remote access; you gave them a credit card number. What do you do? Well, itís actually fairly simple. Step 1, call your credit card company. Make sure that they understand exactly whatís happened. You wonít be the first because this is happening to a lot of people; they will know what to do.
Second, scan your machine for malware. Thereís no way to know what they did while they were connected remotely. There isnít. They could have done quite literally anything. Scan your machine for malware. Make sure youíve got recent backups always, but at this point, after the fact, what you really want to do is make sure that you are performing extra, complete, full scans on your machine to make sure that they didnít leave something behind that they werenít supposed to.
And of course, if your uncertain, shut down your computer, and get help from a trusted source be it a friend, a neighbor, the local techie, a computer usersí group, a seniorsí group, a library, there are lots of different resources out there that can help you understand whether or not you really are at risk for whateverís happened to your machine or if thereís nothing to by worried about at all.
Finally, if you discover that you have been scammed or even that someone made the attempt to scam you, I do recommend that you report it to your local authorities, to the appropriate authorities. In the United States, the FBI has resources specifically for this particular scenario; the so-called ďTech Support ScamĒ is very high on their radar. They are using these reports to actually go out and shut down a lot of the people and groups that are doing this. Just this week, before Iím recording this, thereís a report that the FBI along with their counterparts in India actually stopped a similar scam that was actually calling people, cold-calling people much like the Tech Support Scam, and threatening with government tax related issues.
It was all a scam but because of reports, because of the work they were able to do, they were able to actually locate these people and put a stop to this particular network of scammers. That same thing is possible but it does require that we who have been scammed, report the scams; donít be embarrassed by it.
Like I said, many, many people are falling for this scam, and itís not something to be embarrassed about. What it is something to do is get educated; understand how this scam happens; learn to identify it and then if you are scammed, or if you know of someone has been scammed, take the extra time, the extra steps to report the scam to the appropriate authorities, so that we stand a better chance of putting these scammers back in their place.
I normally hesitate to ask people to share my videos because I figure the videos themselves will either be share worthy or not, itís really up to you. In this case, this issue is so incredibly important I am going to take that extra step of asking you to share this video or the page on which this video is hosted with people that you know who, letís just say, might be vulnerable to this kind of issue or people who have been scammed or groups that may be interested in learning more about this issue. Itís an important one. Millions of dollars are being lost just because people are not aware of this particular scam and how this particular scam happens.
As always, Iíd love to hear what you think. Let me know what you think about the approaches, about the solutions, if youíve had an experience with a tech support scam, leave a comment down below on askleo.com. Hereís the link to see this article on askleo.com. This is where all the comments are moderated and all the comments are read. Iíd love to hear what you think. I hope that you havenít been scammed. I hope that this prevents you from falling for a scammer in the future but in the meantime, as always, have fun, stay safe and donít forget to back up. Iíll see you again soon.

The original article can be found here - https://askleo.com/23889