Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By lettice

Virgin Media customers are about to get some VERY bad news about their bills

This is a discussion on Virgin Media customers are about to get some VERY bad news about their bills within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Virgin Media users are about to get some VERY bad news about their bills | Tech | Life & Style ...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Virgin Media customers are about to get some VERY bad news about their bills

Virgin Media users are about to get some VERY bad news about their bills | Tech | Life & Style | Daily Express
      CUSTOMERS of Virgin Media are about to suffer even more price rises for their internet and phone bills, and many are not pleased.

Virgin Media customers have reacted angrily after the company announced a major price hike.

The rise, affecting users of its TV and broadband services, will come into effect in November, and will see some customers see their prices increase by over 40 a year.

In a letter sent our to customers by Virgin Media, the company wrote, "We know when prices go up it's never welcome news. That's why we've been making your Virgin Media experience bigger and better than ever before."

Among the supposed new perks are a new iOS app to provide access to thousands of Wi-Fi hotspots across the nation thanks to a partnership with The Cloud and Arqiva, and new security protection included for the first 12 months.

However, the decision to put up prices has not gone down well with many of its loyal customers.

Virgin Media users angered by the hike took to Twitter to vent their anger, with one customer saying: "@virginmedia think it's now time to depart going up another 3.95 totally disgusting second price rise this year."

Another frustrated customer tweeted: "@virginmedia 70Mbit delivering under 3Mbit each evening lately. At least price rise means I can swap ISP mid-contract."

Virgin Media has responded to the tweets by saying: "We understand the price rise is never welcome. However, we aim to keep bringing you more and more value for your money."

The company added that customers can change their package at any time, or even cancel their deal before October 31st without needing to pay any cancellation charges.

The news comes after Virgin Media revealed it would be launching a major new software update for all its TiVo boxes.

The upgrade will allow users to help search, find and save content on the service.

This will mean fewer clicks to access the programs you like the most, and many menus replaced more clearer images.

The company is also expected to unveil a new TiVo box in the coming weeks which will bring features including 4K Ultra HD to the service.

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Virgin Media customers are about to get some VERY bad news about their bills

Was speaking with a long term Virgin media customer today affected by this price hike.
      They mentioned the virgin media community forums and loads of disgruntled customers re the price hikes and many complaining that new customers get much better deals and big discounts.
      Sound familiar.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Re: Virgin Media customers are about to get some VERY bad news about their bills

Hmmm....

Nope, can't think of anyone.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I wonder if I can take Sky to court for telling my I can have superfast FTC for an extra 12 per month when it has a maximum potential of 17mb that is bits download which is not really much better than my current 7mb on a good day.

I can have FTP if I pay for the whole street and all the road works, yet the houses that back onto my garden have it.

Thanks

I doubt that you would have much joy there BurnIT. Since they always quote you the connection speed before signing you up, they'd know what you might get before allowing the order to go through.

As for 17mb being better than 7mb, well it is more than double the speed .

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

But nowhere near the 49mb they keep trying to sell me, and not worth the extra cost. They should charge by the speed you can actually get, not the UP TO speed. I would happily pay the little extra, but NOT for a service I can never receive.
      If they know I cannot receive it why do they keep trying to persuade me to upgrade??

Thanks

I doubt that their marketing systems are properly linked up to the estimated speeds.

Thanks

And they prefer to pester customers rather than be bothered to check.

When I worked in a marketing department I made it a point to only send relevant letters to people if you want them to be read.
      It annoyed the manager intensely because HE was on a bonus linked to the number of letters NOT to the uptake.

One example was when he wanted me to mail every member of the family on the electoral roll at an address even if they had opted out of mailing lists, and I changed it to one per address only if they hadn't opted out.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Which is presumably why you refer to working in marketing in the past tense

Thanks

I actually got on very well with him because of it.
      I was employed by the computer department and looked after the Marketing Systems amongst others.
      I had started working there as a contractor and was living in a rented house. Having converted to a permanent member of staff and worked there for 4 years, my wife and I were in the process of buying a house in a nice location.
      We were due to sign contracts when the company announced that they were going to announce a reduction of staff and considerable redundancies.
      I was due to sign that evening and the company said they were making the announcements the following day.
      I explained my position that if I was on the list to go, there was little point in buying the house as I would be immediately looking for other work. The response I got from the personnel manager was:

"You wouldn't find it difficult to find another job in this area anyway"

So I thought with that attitude I don't want to work for you any more and took redundancy anyway.
      Two week later I was earning twice as much at a company in Ipswich with a completely different attitude towards looking after staff - my "interview" consisted of a darts match in the country pub on a Friday lunchtime with my wife and kids there and food laid on.