Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By speedyrite

BT and FON to Supply FREE UK Public WiFi for All From 22nd June 2016

This is a discussion on BT and FON to Supply FREE UK Public WiFi for All From 22nd June 2016 within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; BT and FON to Supply FREE UK Public WiFi for All From 22nd June 2016 - ISPreview UK Getting online ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

BT and FON to Supply FREE UK Public WiFi for All From 22nd June 2016

BT and FON to Supply FREE UK Public WiFi for All From 22nd June 2016 - ISPreview UK
      Getting online between 22nd June and 22nd July 2016 could briefly become easier in the United Kingdom after FON confirmed that it had teamed up with BT to provide free public WiFi hotspot access, which is in honour of the Wireless Broadband Allianceís (WBA) first World WiFi Day. But thereís a catch.

BT has been implementing related FON technology into their HomeHub routers for years, which allows other BT broadband subscribers to get online anywhere they can find one of the operatorís WiFi hotspots (either professional ones or those being distributed by residential customers); this is why BT can claim to operate several million free hotspots in the UK.

However the UK isnít the only country where FON technology is used and it has also agreed a similar free WiFi access promotion for Greece, the Netherlands, Belgium, Romania and Australia; this is in partnership with related telecoms providers including COSMOTE, KPN, Proximus, Telekom Romania and Telstra.

Alex Puregger, Fonís CEO, said:

ďWorld WiFi Day is an important initiative for Fon because we are all about connecting communities and giving access to people via WiFi. We really believe in and support closing the digital divide. To celebrate, we are working together with our partners to open up access on as many networks as we can around the world. We are looking forward to it and hope people enjoy having free WiFi!Ē
      At this point we should add that World WiFi Day is actually set for 20th June 2016, although ISPreview.co.uk understands that BTís WiFi hotspots will only go free between 22nd June and 22nd July. On top of that the BT offer will only give you 1 hour of free usage and youíll have to register to get a promo code first (here).

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: BT and FON to Supply FREE UK Public WiFi for All From 22nd June 2016

Strange that you claim to be living in the UK yet you're posting from the USA.

Perhaps if BT & FON's WiFi did cover where you are it would be very insecure.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

For the very reasons of privacy & security concerns about using public wifi, I created a VPN server running on a Raspberry Pi (which is connected to my home broadband). When using public wifi, I now use a VPN client running on my wireless devices to securely access the internet via my VPN server.
      Scubbie likes this.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Does this mean they are going to be using the WIFI on private routers and private phone lines? Is that what the reserved capacity is going to be used for??
      I rather hope not because I don't want to be arrested for illegal activity using public access through my phone line.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BurnIT View Post
      Does this mean they are going to be using the WIFI on private routers and private phone lines? Is that what the reserved capacity is going to be used for??
      I rather hope not because I don't want to be arrested for illegal activity using public access through my phone line.
      BT has offered their free WiFi through their HomeHubs for a few years now. When you log in you are given a different public IP Address to the one which the home user would have. Since a user has to log into their account in order to use it, any traffic is also logged towards their ID, not yours.

Personally I was hoping that Sky might have introduced something similar with the Q Hub, but alas they did not.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Oh dear that world wifi day passed me by then a few days ago.
      Saw nothing anywhere about it.

Use wifi out and about a lot, never really have trouble finding some sort of recognised free hotspot. Being careful obviously, vpn the way to go.
      Sky wifi hotspots (aka the cloud) I have found is always reliable, when I've used it, not being a bt customer never used bt wifi.