Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Friends Reunited website to close after 15 years

This is a discussion on Friends Reunited website to close after 15 years within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Friends Reunited website to close after 15 years | Technology | The Guardian Though it has been around since Mark ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Friends Reunited website to close after 15 years

Friends Reunited website to close after 15 years | Technology | The Guardian
      Though it has been around since Mark Zuckerberg was just 15 years old, one of the original social networking websites is to close

Friends Reunited
      was a pioneer of social networking when it launched in 2000, but on Monday founder Steve Pankhurst announced its closure.

In an emailed entitled “the sunset of an era”, Pankhurst wrote that “the world is now a very different place” and that Friends Reunited is no longer able to compete with Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

The site, Pankhurst writes, still has a “handful” of users but that its continuation would not be viable.

“It is clear that the site is no longer really used for the purpose it was built for … therefore, it is with a heavy heart, that we have decided to close the service down.”

Pankhurst, who co-founded the service with business partner Jason Porter, was approached by Friends Reunited’s current owner, comic producer DC Thompson, to buy the site back. A trial takeover period did not prove successful.

In 2005, Friends Reunited was bought by the broadcaster ITV for £175m ($250m) but was later sold to DC Thompson for just £25m in 2009.

The site will remain live for another month to allow users to download photographs they may have stored on the service. Whether anybody will be able to remember their passwords is another matter.

People have reacted to the news of Friends Reunited’s demise with a mixture of nostalgia and snark on Twitter (welcome to the internet):

<Tweets>

Pankhurst’s new venture is a network called Liife, which will allow users to plot key life events on a chart. Although in a post on Medium, he admitted the idea was “not unique”. However, he hoped the greater element of privacy specific to the service would prove popular.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Friends Reunited website to close after 15 years

Going by the reaction here no one seems that bothered, but I think it's a bit of a shame. I have caught up with old friends on there that I have never managed to find on the likes of Facebook etc, people don't seem to put the same amount of detail on FB about there past like old workplaces schools etc etc which makes it more difficult to find people sometimes, and some just don't like all the dross on FB so don't go on there. Friends Reunited is a proper reuniting site as its name suggests I guess.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I think that Friends Reunited was very good when it was first launched.

As you say, there is a lot of rubbish on FB. It is also very invasive.

Sadly Friends Reunited dropped from the headlines. I don't recall seeing it mentioned for a few years now. With that comes a slow decline as only existing users stay and new ones don't find it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

They should never have sold out to ITV. At that point it was no longer run by an enthusiast and lost its way.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Must admit I was one of those that registered many moons ago when it first started.
      Think I created a profile and then never used again.
      Not sure they ever encouraged me by ever sending any emails about the service.

As for facebook, no thanks!