Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Windows 10 Upgrades/Updates

This is a discussion on Windows 10 Upgrades/Updates within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; One of the main moans about Win 10 is the continual nagging to Upgrade and the way it handles Updates. ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Windows 10 Upgrades/Updates

One of the main moans about Win 10 is the continual nagging to Upgrade and the way it handles Updates. One way to get round all this is to use a little program called GXW Control Panel. It will allow you to stop the nags and even do the updates when you choose. Enjoy.

Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Windows 10 Upgrades/Updates

M$ are not on my popularity list at the moment.

When I upgraded this laptop to Win 10 just over a month ago, having reinstalled Win 8, then upgraded to Win 8.1, I got a message to activate windows.

I still have this message and there are some things which I can't do.

I called them yesterday and their attitude was abysmal. In the end I hung up on them.

Customer satisfaction: 0%.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      M$ are not on my popularity list at the moment.

When I upgraded this laptop to Win 10 just over a month ago, having reinstalled Win 8, then upgraded to Win 8.1, I got a message to activate windows.

I still have this message and there are some things which I can't do.

I called them yesterday and their attitude was abysmal. In the end I hung up on them.

Customer satisfaction: 0%.
      Couldn't you just upgrade from win 8 to 10?

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

Thanks

No, Win 10 upgrades are only available from Win 7 or Win 8.1.

The upgrade to Win 8.1 is a simple process that isn't too painful. It does mess up any recovery section that you might have on you drive, but is otherwise Ok.

I did manage to sort out a friend's laptop last weekend. He'd upgraded accidentally to Win 10 last year, hated it so we put it back to 8.1.

Since it had some nasties, I installed Win 10 on a spare drive to check out to see if it would work, which it did. I then backed up everything and wiped his original drive and installed Win 10 from fresh. I've been testing the laptop and it's behaving very well and Win 10 is activated.

I may have to do this option for my own, but I have a lot of software which I've purchased and can only install so many times before having to contact the suppliers to get another so-many installs. It gets annoying having to rebuild everything all over, but at least I know what I'm doing.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

sdd
      Thanks

No, Win 10 upgrades are only available from Win 7 or Win 8.1.

The upgrade to Win 8.1 is a simple process that isn't too painful. It does mess up any recovery section that you might have on you drive, but is otherwise Ok.

I did manage to sort out a friend's laptop last weekend. He'd upgraded accidentally to Win 10 last year, hated it so we put it back to 8.1.

Since it had some nasties, I installed Win 10 on a spare drive to check out to see if it would work, which it did. I then backed up everything and wiped his original drive and installed Win 10 from fresh. I've been testing the laptop and it's behaving very well and Win 10 is activated.

I may have to do this option for my own, but I have a lot of software which I've purchased and can only install so many times before having to contact the suppliers to get another so-many installs. It gets annoying having to rebuild everything all over, but at least I know what I'm doing.
      I just seen its 7/8.1 to upgrade and i do see were you are coming from with the software i'm not to bad for that i only have about 10-15 programs on my machines and they are easy to reinstall with no problems.

I upgraded my old machine i put it on new like put 8.1 on first and then upgraded to the 10 so was just like a fresh install and it worked fine apart from the nvidia drivers kept crashing the machine there have been 3 update nvidia drivers and still does the same thing...uninstalled them and just have the Microsoft drivers on and all works fine no crashes.

Last week went and bought a new pc and its got win 10 on it already and works really good no problems twice as fast as my old pc.

I am now trying to put win 10 onto ssd card and run it on usb because i don't want to open the new pc i have got linx mint running on the usb memory stick and its running really well its just like its on the machine its self.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

I upgraded all my pc's using hacked win7 versions to genuine win 10 then wiping and reinstalling clean genuine win 10 (as did every other pirate probably(well played Microsoft well played)). Some machines did force me to call automated verification line though which was annoying. Unfortunately we are still at the stage where Linux doesn't even install easily on a basic machine without major tinkering, then there's the gaming thing. I would love an open source solution to come along and kick Microsoft's butt.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Flattened my main PC yesterday and did a clean install of W10 as I was having issues with a piece of software I use for work that would not play, although the same program was working fine on my laptop. As the PC was installing W10 I was on my laptop browsing as you do, and came across a new thread that had just started with others complaining of the same issue. Turns out that there had been an update to flash that had made it to my PC but not my laptop, and it was that which was causing all the problems.

Anyway, nice clean install now and everything appears happy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      I upgraded all my pc's using hacked win7 versions to genuine win 10 then wiping and reinstalling clean genuine win 10 (as did every other pirate probably(well played Microsoft well played)).
      I thought I'd go legit for the first time and bought a few cheapo DELL licences, only cost me 50 Euros.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

I went legit with 3 lics for win 8. Just wasn't prepared to go through ridiculous update chain, was quicker to activate 7 and generate the ID for 10. Stupid Microsoft.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdd View Post
      I am now trying to put win 10 onto ssd card and run it on usb because i don't want to open the new pc i have got linx mint running on the usb memory stick and its running really well its just like its on the machine its self.
      I was chatting with someone last night and they have Win 10 on a USB stick. They do have a problem when it comes to updates though. Apparently they don't seem to install on the USB stick.

Just before I rebuilt this laptop I also spent some money on it and now have a 1TB SSD. The 2nd drive is now 2TB and the RAM at its max of 16GB. Not so good for battery life, but far better for processing photos and videos.

I also spent much of today finishing off my friend's laptop. After a lot of naughty words I finally got Populous Undiscovered Worlds working properly on it. I hadn't been able to do that one previously as he hadn't left me the disc. Windows 8 or Windows 7 compatibility was required in the end, but the original didn't need that.

sdd
      Thanks

I was chatting with someone last night and they have Win 10 on a USB stick. They do have a problem when it comes to updates though. Apparently they don't seem to install on the USB stick.

Just before I rebuilt this laptop I also spent some money on it and now have a 1TB SSD. The 2nd drive is now 2TB and the RAM at its max of 16GB. Not so good for battery life, but far better for processing photos and videos.

I also spent much of today finishing off my friend's laptop. After a lot of naughty words I finally got Populous Undiscovered Worlds working properly on it. I hadn't been able to do that one previously as he hadn't left me the disc. Windows 8 or Windows 7 compatibility was required in the end, but the original didn't need that.
      Ha Ha naughty words i know them and wanting to throw things i learnt over the years to stop throwing thing because it became to expensive so now i hold my breath then throw it No only joking i did stop.

That's going to be a bum if win 10 doesn't update i was thinking about that having enough trouble getting it to boot of the USB but i know the drive boots because i put linx on it to make sure.( will keep working on it)

I just bought a new full win 10 64bit software off of eBay i do have a upgrade one but that's 32bit i also have a 64bit on my new PC
      so really hoping i can get the win 10 to boot or i have wasted my money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast