Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT Openreach Replace Faulty PSU on Some FTTC Broadband Modems

This is a discussion on BT Openreach Replace Faulty PSU on Some FTTC Broadband Modems within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; BT Openreach Replace Faulty PSU on Some FTTC Broadband Modems - ISPreview UK An apparently small number of Openreach’s VDSL ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,204 Times in 2,074 Posts

Exclamation BT Openreach Replace Faulty PSU on Some FTTC Broadband Modems

BT Openreach Replace Faulty PSU on Some FTTC Broadband Modems - ISPreview UK
      An apparently small number of Openreach’s VDSL (FTTC) “fibre broadband” modem users are being sent replacement white power adaptors (HW-120100B12W) after a “manufacturing fault” allegedly meant that a component inside the old black PSU adapter plug (FM120007-UK) might “fail and break the casing“.

One of ISPreview.co.uk’s readers, a BT customer, sent us some information and pictures of the new kit, which came as a replacement for the old black adapter on their existing Huawei EchoLife HG612 VDSL modem. It is not currently known whether those with ECI modems are also impacted.

The new kit was accompanied by instructions and a letter, which headlined in red as an “Important Safety Notice“. The letter said BT had, “been made aware of a manufacturing fault in a handful of power-adaptors for Openreach modems … It’s possible that a component inside the plug might fail and break the casing. It’s a small risk. But to be on the safe side we’re asking all our customers with black power-adaptor plugs to swap them over.” The letter included free postage for returning the old adapter.

The statement suggests that only a “handful of power-adapters” are impacted, although this implies a figure of five or less which seems improbable given the production scale of such hardware. We have already requested a clarification from Openreach, which was sent yesterday evening, but we have yet to receive a reply.

A Copy of BTs Letter

These days many of the larger broadband ISPs prefer to bundle their own VDSL integrated routers, although during the first few years of FTTC’s deployment many consumers received Openreach’s modem instead and continue to use them. It’s worth noting that Openreach intends to reduce support for their VDSL modems after January 2017 (here).

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: BT Openreach Replace Faulty PSU on Some FTTC Broadband Modems

I have one of those psu's but no letter.
      Do I contact BT or Sky, preferably BT as I don't want a combined unit like the newer Sky one.

Thanks

Personally I would call 0800 111 4567 first. This is the number shown in the letter.

If they can't help you, give Sky a friendly call. I'm nit sure how familia the people will be with this issue though.

Please do let us know how you get on.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I would think BT will only be contacting their own customers, not those who bought through another ISP. It will be up to the reseller to replace faulty kit.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I recall that when FTTC was being rolled out originally BTO were responsible for the connection not just to the Master socket, but also to include the faceplate, VDSL lead and Modem.

So whilst they may not know who has the affected BTO Modems, unless they can remotely access them or trace the MAC addresses, a lot of people could be missed out.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms