Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

Now e-cigarettes can give you malware

This is a discussion on Now e-cigarettes can give you malware within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Now e-cigarettes can give you malware | Technology | The Guardian Better for your lungs, worse for your hard drives, ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Now e-cigarettes can give you malware

Now e-cigarettes can give you malware | Technology | The Guardian
      Better for your lungs, worse for your hard drives, e-cigarettes can potentially infect a computer if plugged in to charge

E-cigarettes
      may be better for your health than normal ones, but spare a thought for your poor computer – electronic cigarettes have become the latest vector for malicious software, according to online reports.

Many e-cigarettes can be charged over USB, either with a special cable, or by plugging the cigarette itself directly into a USB port. That might be a USB port plugged into a wall socket or the port on a computer – but, if so, that means that a cheap e-cigarette from an untrustworthy supplier gains physical access to a device.

A report on social news site Reddit suggests that at least one “vaper” has suffered the downside of trusting their cigarette manufacturer. “One particular executive had a malware infection on his computer from which the source could not be determined,” the user writes. “After all traditional means of infection were covered, IT started looking into other possibilities.

“The made in China e-cigarette had malware hardcoded into the charger, and when plugged into a computer’s USB port the malware phoned home and infected the system.”

Rik Ferguson, a security consultant for Trend Micro, says the story is entirely plausible. “Production line malware has been around for a few years, infecting photo frames, MP3 players and more,” he says. In 2008, for instance, a photo frame produced by Samsung shipped with malware on the product’s install disc.

Even more concerning is a recent proof-of-concept attack called “BadUSB”, which involves reprogramming USB devices at the hardware level. “Very widely spread USB controller chips, including those in thumb drives, have no protection from such reprogramming,” says Berlin-based firm SRLabs, which released the code.

Combine the two, says Ferguson, “and a very strong case can be made for enterprises disabling USB ports, or at least using device management to allow only authorised devices.

“For consumers it’s a case of running up-to-date anti-malware for the production line stuff and only using trusted devices to counter the threat.”

Dave Goss, of London’s Vape Emporium, says that vapers can remain safe by buying from respected manufacturers such as Aspire, KangerTech and Innokin, and by checking for “scratch checkers” on the box, which mark out authentic goods from counterfeits.

“Any electrical device that uses a USB charger could be targeted in this way, and just about every one of these electrical devices will come from China,” he adds.

In early November, figures obtained by the Press Association revealed that e-cigarettes and related equipment, such as chargers, were involved in more than 100 fires in less than two years.

2. Advertisement
      sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Thanks

Re: Now e-cigarettes can give you malware

Easy way round that is Don't charge it through your computer get yourself a usb plug that goes in the wall socket

I really think this is just scaremongering its all you here now this virus is attacking your computer that malware is doing this we know it happened but not on the scale they are saying

Like yesterday we had the paid android app are being infected by malware

Its a joke if you put much more protection on your computer and phone they will grind to a halt

There 3 people in my house all using the internet at the same sametime for about 12hrs a day ( don't watch a lot of tv ) and in all the years we have had computers we have not had one bad virus we had a small one once but the virus protector got rid of it so like i say scaremongering.

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

Thanks

Safety on the Internet is important.

You wouldn't leave the windows of your car down, the doors unlocked and the key in the ignition whilst you park it up on central London as you'd be pretty sure that it won't be there when you return. At the same time you wouldn't knowingly walk around with money falling out of your pockets whilst you are in any town centre on a Saturday morning.

People need to be careful and take suitable precautions when using the Internet. Many are unaware or unwilling to take responsibility and ensure that they are safe.

This article goes to show that it isn't just what we download from the Internet which we need to consider, but also other devices which might otherwise appear to be safe.

Now that many products, not just mobile phones, can easily be charged up via a USB port. Any of these could be connected to a laptop whilst you are away and any one of them could contain something untoward. This laptop I am using has 4 USB ports so I could charge my phone, a camera, headphones and battery pack.

Of course I wouldn't expect a reputable firm to distribute something nasty, but there are always fakes to be wary off.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Best of all use a USB charge only cable, No data - No problem.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Yes I agree it would be better. After all there are various items you can purchase which can be taken with you that have multiple USB ports, but some people don't have the time to plan ahead for items like that.

I'm sure that we could all list a number of excuses that people will make.

The potential danger is that someone will plug a dodgy e-Cigarette into their work computer or laptop to be charged up. Too late!

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Disable autostart. This solves the problem every time.
      FTTP Service: (speed upgrade to 75/75 as of 23/7/2014)

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

As the above post says auto-start should be disabled.

Work computers should have this disabled already if the IT dept has a clue what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Yes I agree it would be better. After all there are various items you can purchase which can be taken with you that have multiple USB ports, but some people don't have the time to plan ahead for items like that.

I'm sure that we could all list a number of excuses that people will make.

The potential danger is that someone will plug a dodgy e-Cigarette into their work computer or laptop to be charged up. Too late!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Saw a bit on the cybercrime program BBC are running at the moment. A firm dropped a number of infected USB sticks around some car parks. They discovered that 90% of them were picked up and plugged into Government PCs. USA of course.

Its an interesting series if you haven't caught it yet - BBC - BBC World News commissions major new Cybercrime series - Media centre
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Mine just gives me Nicotine and tasty flavours, mmmmm butterscotch is so nice.