Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Reversible and slimmer USB plug that will replace ALL other connectors for PCs & smartphones

This is a discussion on Reversible and slimmer USB plug that will replace ALL other connectors for PCs & smartphones within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Reversible USB plug that will replace ALL connectors for PCs and smartphones | Mail Online Revealed: The reversible and slimmer ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Reversible and slimmer USB plug that will replace ALL other connectors for PCs & smartphones

Reversible USB plug that will replace ALL connectors for PCs and smartphones | Mail Online
      Revealed: The reversible and slimmer USB plug that will replace ALL other connectors for PCs and smartphones

• The USB Promoter Group unveiled its slimmer USB Type-C plug
      • Reversible design means days of jabbing at USB ports to make plugs fit will be over as the new design will work both ways
      • Next-generation plug is slimmer to fit smartphones, tablets and ultrabooks
      • As the new design is different to the current versions of USB plugs, users of older computing equipment will need an adapter to use the new plugs
      • Currently there are no plans for Apple to adopt the new standard

The final design of the new type of USB plug that will replace all other USB connectors, has been unveiled.

The USB Type-C plug is reversible so users will no longer have to stab blindly at USB ports in order to connect and charge gadgets, because plugs will fit in sockets in either direction.

The USB Promoter Group said that the next generation design is thinner than its predecessors so it can be used in increasing sleek smartphones, tablets and ultrabooks.

<Picture of connector in different forms>

‘The USB Type-C specification establishes a new cable and connector scheme tailored to fit mobile device product designs, yet robust enough for laptops and tablets,’ the San Francisco-based group said.

Reports of the fabled plug began in December last year and renderings of what it might look like leaked in April.

The USB 2.0 specification was released in 2000 and became the standard by the end of 2001, followed by USB 3.0 in 2008, and 3.1 in July 2013.

Apple uses its own Lightning Connector on newer models of iPhone and iPads, which can be inserted either way up.

The Type-C connector will work in a similar way, while resembling the size of the current Micro USB plug.

According to the group, the Type-C will be ‘the only connector one will need across all devices.’

<Mock up image of Laptop>

Crucially, however, because the new design is different to the current versions of USB plugs, users of older computing equipment will need an adapter to use the new plugs.

‘Interest in the USB Type-C connector has not only been global, but cross-industry as well,’ said Brad Saunders, USB 3.0 Promoter Group Chairman.

‘Representatives from the PC, mobile, automotive and internet of things industries have been knocking down our door anticipating this new standard.'

It is anticipated that everyday devices connected to the internet, from smart light bulbs to smart fridges will become increasingly common in years to come, as more consumers embrace the internet of things.

'This specification is the culmination of an extensive, cooperative effort among industry leaders to standardise the next generation USB connector as a long-lasting, robust solution,’ he added.

The new cable and connector supports USB performance at SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps (gigabits per second) and provide up to 100W of power.

FEATURES OF USB TYPE-C PLUG

The USB Type-C connector is a completely new design.

It has been designed for use with thinner, sleeker devices, such as tablets and ultrabooks.

It claims to be robust enough for laptops and slim enough for smartphones.

It is being built on existing USB 3.1 and USB 2.0 technologies.

The plug is smaller than current laptop connectors, and more closely resembles the size of the current 2.0 Micro USB.

Crucially, it will be reversible meaning it will work whichever way it is plugged in.

This is similar to how Apple's Lightning connector works.

Edit: Picture from somewhere else of the new connector with a couple of existing ones:
      Reversible and slimmer USB plug that will replace ALL other connectors for PCs & smartphones-usb-type-c-first-image.0_standard_640.0.jpg
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reversible and slimmer USB plug that will replace ALL other connectors for PCs & smartphones-usb_type_c_closeup_0.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Reversible and slimmer USB plug that will replace ALL other connectors for PCs & smartphone

I should have posted this on the 3rd of april lol:
      BBC News - Reversible USB cable design shown off for first time

Let's hope usb-c is more secure:
      BBC News - USB 'critically flawed' after bug discovery, researchers say
      Cyber-security experts have dramatically called into question the safety and security of using USB to connect devices to computers.

Berlin-based researchers Karsten Nohl and Jakob Lell demonstrated how any USB device could be used to infect a computer without the user's knowledge.

The duo said there is no practical way to defend against the vulnerability.

Thanks

Re: Reversible and slimmer USB plug that will replace ALL other connectors for PCs & smartphone

lol - I think that a story was posted a little while ago, but the pictures at the time were limited.

It looks now like they have progressed and we'll start seeing the new connectors on devices probably from next year. Like with USB3 though, I expect it'll only be top end devices at first.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

My poor old grey matter started churning at this and I wonder if it is related to the EC Directive that required a common CHARGER for mobile phones: EU: Mobile Phone Manufacturers Will Use Only One Charging Connector | EE Times

Since most phones use the same port for charging and data . . .

Regards,

Felix

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by FelixTCat View Post
      My poor old grey matter started churning at this and I wonder if it is related to the EC Directive that required a common CHARGER for mobile phones: EU: Mobile Phone Manufacturers Will Use Only One Charging Connector | EE Times

Since most phones use the same port for charging and data . . .

Regards,

Felix
      Good point.
      I recall that news from ages ago.

The thing is, in not being a drone, endlessly updating my phone each year from what was it ip4, then 4s then 5, then 5s (which could read your fingerprint - wow!) & now ip6 soon that has - wait for it - rounded edges, i'd naturally assumed the directive was now in place.

edit
      Of course, technology should be embraced & folks who buy the latest iphone obviously aren't necessarily drones.
      Last edited by gymno; 13-08-14 at 08:08 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Crucially, it will be reversible meaning it will work whichever way it is plugged in.

This is similar to how Apple's Lightning connector works.
      Do I smell another opportunity for Apple to sue? I have no doubt they have patented the 'reversible plug' design.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

pmsl - they might do, but then it would get really messy...

Reversible and slimmer USB plug that will replace ALL other connectors for PCs & smartphones-m072092p01wl.jpg

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Well they did sue a company for using 'round corners'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I know. That was kind of crazy.

Reversible and slimmer USB plug that will replace ALL other connectors for PCs & smartphones-double-bend-road-205079.jpg
      gymno likes this.