Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT Openreach Launch UK Street Cabinet Level FTTC Broadband Check

This is a discussion on BT Openreach Launch UK Street Cabinet Level FTTC Broadband Check within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; I'm surprised this wasn't posted already: Consumers wanting to know whether or not they are covered by and can receive ...

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I'm surprised this wasn't posted already:

Consumers wanting to know whether or not they are covered by and can receive a superfast broadband connection using BTOpenreach’s ‘up to’ 80Mbps Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) technology will, from today, now be given a more useful result after the national UK telecoms operator updates their availability test to include Street Cabinet status.

At present, if a postcode is entered into Openreach’s Checker, all the results come back at an exchange level. As a result of this an entire exchange area is listed as ‘Accepting Orders’ once the first cabinet served by the hybrid-fibre providing exchange is enabled to take fibre orders.

However this system, which worked fine for older ADSL based broadband lines that ran from the exchange, can be potentially misleading for those seeking to find out whether or not FTTC is available. This is because FTTC lines reflect actual coverage from the local Street Cabinet and not BT’s Telephone Exchange (e.g. it might claim you can get FTTC but if only 1 out of say 50 cabinets have been upgraded then you probably can’t).

But, effective from later today, Openreach will update their “fibre availability map” on the superfast website to show cabinet level results where an exchange area is enabled. This will give users a more accurate view of the current status of the cabinet which serves their property.
      BT Openreach Launch UK Street Cabinet Level FTTC Broadband Check - ISPreview UK

So My cabinet now shows as:

Under review
      We’re in your area but we’re still assessing whether or not we can upgrade your cabinet. This means you can’t order Superfast Fibre.

You still need to click on your exchange on the map to see the details for your cabinet.
      A bit more information than was available before but it's really just confirmation of why you cannot get it, not really any new info on when you can.
      Last edited by bubblegun; 07-08-14 at 04:25 AM. Reason: grammar and punctuation

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegun For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (07-08-14)

3. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: BT Openreach Launch UK Street Cabinet Level FTTC Broadband Check

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun
      I'm surprised this wasn't posted already:
      It's easy to miss those stickies.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,206 Times in 2,075 Posts

Re: BT Openreach Launch UK Street Cabinet Level FTTC Broadband Check

Sorry, I confused you there bubblegun.

I placed the article in the Fire section as I felt it would be better placed there as a sticky. Hopefully people will find it in the months to come too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms