Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

UK to force telecom firms to spy on British citizens

This is a discussion on UK to force telecom firms to spy on British citizens within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; UK to force telecom firms to spy on British citizens ? RT UK The UK government is set to pass ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

UK to force telecom firms to spy on British citizens

UK to force telecom firms to spy on British citizens ? RT UK
      The UK government is set to pass emergency laws requiring phone companies to hold detailed records of all phone calls, texts and internet usage for up to 12 months. Under the new legislation, companies would be allowed to access more data than ever before, including records of every website their customers visit, as well as the identities of people they contacted by phone.

The new laws, which are expected to be supported by both the opposition Labour party and the Tories' Liberal Democrat coalition partners in government, come following US warnings of a terrorist attack in the West, which has resulted in UK airports drastically tightening up their security.

Conservative Home Secretary Theresa May had proposed a similar bill last year.

The Communications Data bill, colloquially nicknamed the “snooper’s charter,” would have forced companies to store the private information of their customers for up to two years, including private emails and instant messages.

The bill was eventually blocked by Labour and the Liberal Democrats, following months of protest from the public, as well as the world’s biggest technology companies such as Google and Twitter.

The Home Secretary faced further obstacles from the European Court of Justice, who in April this year declared that any form of legislation mandating the retention of personal information would be “invalid”, because it would breach EU laws regarding privacy rights and protecting personal data.

Following the ruling, a spokesperson for the Home Office told the Guardian: "The retention of communications data is absolutely fundamental to ensure law enforcement have the powers they need to investigate crime, protect the public and ensure national security.

"We are carefully considering the European court of justice's judgment on data retention and are currently examining potential next steps.
      "

With the crisis in Iraq and Syria escalating, May has now called for new surveillance powers to counter the "real and deadly threat from Jihadists," who the government fear could return to the UK radicalized.

Speaking in London in June, she said that the UK faced renewed threats from militant groups like Al-Qaeda and ISIS, who were armed with more resources, weapons and technology.

"They are on the doorstep of Europe, just a few hours' flying time from London, and they want to attack us – not just in Syria or Iraq but here in Britain.

‘We are in danger of making the internet an ungoverned, ungovernable space, a haven for terrorism and criminality” she said.
      Comment: If it isn't bad enough that GCHQ and the NSA already monitor everything we do, not the Government wants the ISPs to get in on the act too. Isn't the UK Justice system supposed to be "Innocent until proven guilty"? With this it would be a case of "We suspect you are all doing something bad and we want to know your personal secrets"

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: UK to force telecom firms to spy on British citizens

It's almost as if these new laws are announced in order to nudge people into thinking they're not already doing it anyway...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

fluke (09-07-14)

Thanks

I suspect that both GCHQ and the NSA are facing budgetary cutbacks and have been told to reduce their storage banks. The Government's answer is to place the burden on the ISPs instead.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

I don't actually do much wrong really, but a decent Canadian VPN who shares IP addys and doesn't keep logs is going to have to be a part of my yearly broadband budget at this rate. Until they criminalise VPNs ofc, and I'm sure that day will be here sooner rather than later.

Thanks

I am just not comfortable having anyone spying on me at all.

If I wanted anyone else to know my every movement I'd fork out on a large electronic billboard and post everything I'm doing, done and planning to do on it.

It is just totally wrong that we can't live our lives without the government, who are supposed to serve the people, watching over you.

They may have chosen to live their lives in public. I haven't. I resent the fact that tey wish to capture every keystroke, every discussion, every footstep that I take. I resent the fact that I can't talk to someone of my choosing without them wishing to not only the contents of the discussion, but to know everything about the person whom I'm talking with.

They are assuming that every single conversation being made has the sole purpose of terrorising some group or individual or to bring down the Government.

There is far more in life to do.
      jrfer and gymno like this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

It's like the Leveson enquiry never happened & nothing was learned.
      Or rather now the government are saying "one rule for you, another for us".

Thanks

Quite the contrary.

Many years ago someone was told that they couldn't incarcerate groups of people, because it was against the law. In order to do it the law would have to be changed. In order to change it, he would have to be the leader of the country.

Well his group managed to get in to power and the law was changed to allow him to incarerate those groups of people he disliked. Several years later ad after the death of millions of people in the ensuing holocaust and war, as well as his own suicide, it was changed back.

What was learned? When in power you can change the law to whatever suits your needs irrespective of what the public want and it doesn't even have to be morally acceptable.

Well that's history for you.
      jrfer and gymno like this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I've got an encrypted connection now and its going on my router in a minute or two for everything except my freesat box and dvd player. Plus the VPN back in whilst on public wifi is a good idea too, I can take a hit in speed for continued privacy!
      Scubbie likes this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

VPN is great people but read the terms very closely, a lot of these companies keep logs and hand them over very fast (thus negating the point of vpn). I'm already switching due to poor speeds, it's a bit of a minefield! Check for valid user reviews all the sites and paid for reviews are extremely misleading.

Thanks

TorrentFreak has commented on some of these issues in the past.

How good the answers were at the time is open to debate. Due to the nature of the various VPN sites, it can be hard to prove what is correct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast