Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Is your bank account under threat?

This is a discussion on Is your bank account under threat? within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Bank accounts under threat from one of the most advanced Trojans ever | Mail Online Is your bank account under ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Bank accounts under threat from one of the most advanced Trojans ever | Mail Online
      Is your bank account under threat? Cybercriminals create one of the most advanced computer viruses ever - and even software won't protect you

• Neverquest Trojan is a malicious program that can empty bank accounts
      • Its makers claim it can attack ‘any bank in any country’
      • The Trojan has already targeted 28 sites including Fidelity Investments
      • Neverquest can also use information in accounts to play the stock market
      • It hides on malicious sites and infects computers to steal login details

A team of Russian cybercriminals have created a computer virus so sophisticated it can steal the money from any bank account in any country.

Called the Neverquest Trojan, it lies hidden on malicious websites or infected computers and can steal the usernames and passwords for people’s online banking accounts.

Once it has access to these accounts it can empty them completely and is so advanced, security experts are warning that traditional antivirus software isn't enough to keep users protected.

This is because the Trojan has been designed to contain ‘just about every possible trick’ known to hackers to avoid being caught and disabled.

According to security firm Kaspersky Lab, Neverquest has already made ‘several thousand attempts’ to infect computers and is targeting some of the world’s biggest banks and investment companies.

A total of 28 major websites are under threat and Fidelity Investments is the main target.

Kaspersky Lab won't detail which other sites in particular have been affected for 'privacy reasons', but said the list includes sites in Germany, Italy, Turkey and India, as well as payment systems.

It is believed the Trojan is focusing its attention on Fidelity’s customers because their online accounts also have information about stocks and shares.

‘This gives malicious users the chance to not only transfer cash funds to their own accounts but also to play the stock market, using the accounts and the money of Neverquest victims’, said Kaspersky Lab.

Neverquest sits on malicious websites and can infect computers when users click on links to these dangerous sites.

Special scripts have been created for the Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers and these give the cybercriminals remote access to the user’s computer.

Once a computer is infected, Neverquest can record the usernames and passwords to online bank accounts and this information is then sent to anonymous hackers who can then use these to details to gain access to the accounts.

After gaining access to a user’s account, cybercriminals make transactions and transfer money from the user to their own accounts or - to keep the trail from leading directly to them - to the accounts of other victims.

Sergey Golovanov, Principal Security Researcher, Kaspersky Lab, said: ‘After wrapping up several criminal cases associated with the creation and proliferation of malware used to steal bank website data, a few ‘holes’ appeared on the black market.

'New malicious users are trying to fill these with new technologies and ideas. Neverquest is just one of the threats aiming to take over the leading positions.’

Kaspersky Lab also said that protection against threats such as Neverquest requires more than ‘just standard antivirus’ and advises customers to be extra vigilant to make sure they only access official sites and don’t store passwords in cookies, or on their computers. Browsers should be kept up to date, too.

Note: I don't normally like to post notices about nasties that circulate the Internet as there are many any you need to take suitable precautions all the time. This one sounds particularly bad and difficult to get rid of. I would therefore HIGHLY recommend that you backup all your data ASAP and ensure that you learn about avoiding sites which could host nasties. In this instance it would appear that the usual collection of tools to guard against such nasties is not going to help you, so please take extra care when browsing the Internet.
      Hedgehog1979 likes this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

BurnIT (24-10-17)

3. Advertisement
      Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

With my bank login details I have to enter my username and password as normal. It then asks me to enter 3 characters from another security password.

Do you think it would be clever enough to monitor what characters I select with the 2nd level of security over a period of time until it collects them all meaning that this second level of security could be bypassed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks

Re: Is your bank account under threat?

The implications from the report above is that this could well be the case.

I suspect that the banks will also only be too well of this report as well and that someone will be working hard to close the door on it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

My bank requires me to enter 3 digits of my security number then 3 digits of my password. The numbers requested are always different, ie 2nd 4th and 1st or 8th 4th 3rd etc. All my passwords are held on my Lastpass vault, none are kept as passwords on my PC. I also use Trusteer endpoint protection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

If it's the same bank as I use, the second layer of security uses drops down lists so that prevents key-logging. Each drop down has 36 characters (26 letters and 10 digits) to select from, so (if my maths is correct) that offers at least 46,656 (36 x 36 x 36) different combinations to get the 10 character passcode correct with only 2 log-in attempts before it locks you out permanently.

Thanks

Just had a quick look at trusteer endpoint Isitme and must admit I am going to look at this a little closer. Looks like a good preventative for this sort of attack.

Thanks

Sounds like the same bank as mine james_mitchell and you are right it does use drop downs, I had not thought about that so must admit it gives me a little more peace of mind.

Thanks

Some banks even allow you to use a PIN machine that you place your card in.

However if this software is sophisticated enough then I would suggest that it will go beyond capturing keystrokes and mouse movements. Since the implication from the article is that it is hiding from your AV software and Anti-Malware software, then I would suggest it can just sit there collecting the data over a long period of time.

For me one answer would be to reverse engineer the nasty and identify where it is attempting to send the data. I suspect that there will be more than one address that it will send it to and that it may also periodically check to see if there is an update. Once this information has been identified, I would hope that measures are taken to permanently block those addresses.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Always hated Barclays convoluted login with pinsentry, kinda glad now though, every login is different.

davews is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

I would not usually treat the Daily Mail as a source of reliable computer security information, but it is significant from a web search that the only original source of this seems to be from a Kaspersky blog who conveniently have a product Safe Money to protect against it and clearly have a financial interest. As others have pointed out, the One Time Key dongles and similar will largely kill these types of things, and of course if you are reasonably security aware and don't go clicking links in spam mails at random you are unlikely to get infected in the first place. Just another virus...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast