Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

HD Video Playback - Stuttering - CPU or Graphics Card

This is a discussion on HD Video Playback - Stuttering - CPU or Graphics Card within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Hi. When playing back HD video full screen, I am experiencing stuttering/dropped frames (NOT buffering or playback pausing) particularly on ...

adwoot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01407
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: 1TB
      Thanks

HD Video Playback - Stuttering - CPU or Graphics Card

Hi. When playing back HD video full screen, I am experiencing stuttering/dropped frames (NOT buffering or playback pausing) particularly on 1080p content. Youtube is iffy, Vevo is poor, BBC iPlayer HD is tolerable. 720i is about the most I can get with a good consistent playback. ADSL runs at about 17MBps (or is it Mbps?!) and in any case is still the same on downloaded content, even WMVs. I've checked CPU load when playing back and there is nothing untoward to report, not running at 100% anyway.

System is of 2005 vintage Win XP, Intel Pentium D dual core 3.00GHz, 3.5GB RAM, and a NVideo GeForce 6800 graphics card. Also similar performance on a vanilla Windows 8 RC install so unlikely to be software or applications causing a problem. Latest drivers running.

Basically wondering if this is a CPU limitation, or whether a juicy new graphics card would do the trick? System is otherwise great so I won't completely upgrade for the sake of watching HD video.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: HD Video Playback - Stuttering - CPU or Graphics Card

Of the computers I have, only one can play 1080p video without any major problems. This has a dual core 1.86 Intel CPU with Win XP Pro. The others give me pixelated images.

Based upon this, your PC should be able to cope with the video.

Admittedly i don't use the PC to watch much in the way of YouTube, but it does have VLC to play the video.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

MttJocy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNWEL - Wellington, Shropshire
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: No TV
      Thanks

The GPU there sounds like the issue, video content is usually decoded with hardware assist from the graphics cards, as I recall the earliest series of nvidia cards which were designed for full HD support would be the 9xxx series the 9600 and 9800 I'm pretty sure had it, not sure about the low end 9xxx's, all the 2xx handle it, the 6800 is a pretty old unit now before HD was really available anyway. A further issue here could be that the 6800 does not have a hardware decoder for the video codec in use, H.264 for example didn't have the same popularity then, now it is the codec used for pretty much all HD content, either that or sometimes the latest WMV codec which is again I think newer than that card whether or not it could still perform some assist on the new one I am not sure it could be it's algorithms are not compatible.

To decode HD entirely in software takes some serious power I have accidently had the wrong vo driver set on my linux machine (Using unaccelerated x11 instead of xv) and even my intel core i7 quad running at a 2.93Ghz struggles with that ~90% usage on average with some stuttering during very rapid sequences. Thing to remember with HD is compared to say an old 640x480 or similar you have a little less than 4 times the pixel count even though the image is a little less than twice the size it's squared so any increase requires exponentially more power.

You can pick up some fairly reasonable HD cards now quite cheaply I'd advise going for around a 260/280 or higher if it's within budget, possibly 450 the 460 is a nice card. I've heard of 260's going for as low as 50 recently in the 50-70 range anyway 460's are more starting around 80-120 depending on source after a quick google.

Hope that helps

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: vodafone supafast 2
      Router: vodafone isp router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

its funny you mention this cause i also have issues when playing 1080p videos on youtube my graphics card is a 7800gtx

adwoot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01407
      Sky TV: 1TB
      Thanks

Thanks everyone - I've since upgraded to Windows 8 on the same machine (very nice too), and although it is early days HD video seems to be running much better. The acid test will be when I upgrade my monitor to something a bit more appropriate (19" 4:3 to a 24" or 26" 16:9 ideally) and finish reinstalling all my main software.

Kona Owner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT HomeHub4
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

A 6800 should be able to display HD video with ease. It might struggle playing games at 1080p but that's a different kettle of fish.

Look at the PS3 that's now 5 or 6 years old and the gpu is only a low spec GeForce 7 design but when I stream Netflix once the stream has settled to X High HD it's pretty much Bluray quality.
      John
      View My Flickr

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Any recent AMD/Nvidia card has HD video decoding support.

I have a little AMD fusion E350 based machine under my TV (Has a ATI 6310 on the CPU), basically AMD's version of the Atom + Ion combo

When I first set it up I'd forgotten to configure my Media player to use the GPU acceleration for H264, 1080p was like a slideslow, turn it on and sit's at 25% cpu usage and plays smoothly, it really makes a difference having GPU offload and these-days it's even on the low end cards :-)

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: vodafone supafast 2
      Router: vodafone isp router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

could go for a 660 nvidia card seems pretty powerful buy the specs and its affordable to under 200 quid but if your wanting a top spec card then be prepaired to pay more

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Unless you are a gamer you are wasting your money paying a lot for a graphics card. As Dragon says, any recent card will give you suitable HD performance, even the 20-30 quid ones.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adwoot View Post
      Hi. When playing back HD video full screen, I am experiencing stuttering/dropped frames (NOT buffering or playback pausing) particularly on 1080p content. Youtube is iffy, Vevo is poor, BBC iPlayer HD is tolerable. 720i is about the most I can get with a good consistent playback. ADSL runs at about 17MBps (or is it Mbps?!) and in any case is still the same on downloaded content, even WMVs. I've checked CPU load when playing back and there is nothing untoward to report, not running at 100% anyway.

System is of 2005 vintage Win XP, Intel Pentium D dual core 3.00GHz, 3.5GB RAM, and a NVideo GeForce 6800 graphics card. Also similar performance on a vanilla Windows 8 RC install so unlikely to be software or applications causing a problem. Latest drivers running.

Basically wondering if this is a CPU limitation, or whether a juicy new graphics card would do the trick? System is otherwise great so I won't completely upgrade for the sake of watching HD video.

Thanks in advance.
      That processor is getting on a bit... if you have a graphics card that supports DXVA (or CUVID with nVidia) then try MPC-HC with LAV filters, theres an option to use hardware decoding in there. It's filters are much better than FFdshow.

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      its funny you mention this cause i also have issues when playing 1080p videos on youtube my graphics card is a 7800gtx
      Wow, thats ancient.