Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By indefatigable

Olivia Garfield claims that 24 Meg is all a family needs

This is a discussion on Olivia Garfield claims that 24 Meg is all a family needs within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; thinkbroadband :: Olivia Garfield claims that 24 Meg is all a family needs The section of the speech by the ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Olivia Garfield claims that 24 Meg is all a family needs

thinkbroadband :: Olivia Garfield claims that 24 Meg is all a family needs
      The section of the speech by the Openreach Chief Executive Olivia Garfield to those attending the NextGen 12 event on Monday 8th October may be seen as shocking, perhaps even a Gerald Ratner moment.

"At the moment we can't see any reason why any individual family can use more than 24 Megs, we tried it in our labs and we recreate every typical house across the UK with HD streaming, with facebook uploads, you tube downloads whatever it is, we can't create a situation where more than 24 Mega bits is used. It doesn't mean we should build the infrastructure for what we see today, we absolutely shouldn't, we should build it for the future."

Transcript from Speech at NextGen 12
      The idea that 24 Mbps is more than any family can use and that even in lab tests they were unable to create a situation using more than 24 Mbps seems almost laughable. Immediately we all think of parents watching a video stream, while their son is playing a computer game and the daughter is talking to friends on twitter or facebook, while their teenage sons mobile phones photo stream is transferring onto their laptop they left switched on in their room.

So lets do some sums, if each parent is watching a HD video stream, that accounts for 5 Mbps each if good HD. The computer game is almost insignificant at 0.1 to 0.2 Mbps (Quality of Service is important, so QoS on the broadband router will help keep latency down), twitter and facebook use very little and are generally bursty so lets allow 2 Mbps. The photo stream will be perhaps 3 MB every minute or two, so averages out at 0.5 Mbps. A total of 12.7 Mbps. So not as daft as a suggestion it first seems, of course things change if all five in the household are at home and watching HD at the same time, this pushes you right to the very edge of 24 Mbps and perhaps fractionally past it. The question is whether a typical household has 2 parents and 3 children all watching their own HD streams at the same time? Is that a typical household at all in the UK? We believe that only 30% of households have children at all.

Of course our needs in the future will change, HD streams will probably get larger as the quality of picture and price to watch increases (some stores offer 10 Mbps streams). Patches and updates to games will increase in frequency, particularly as digital purchase increases, as things stand DLC map pack updates can weigh in a 2GB already. That is why Olivia Garfield said we should build for tomorrow, and here in lies the crux of the criticism of BT and Openreach, as they see the stepped and accountant type approach of Openreach where fibre is pushed in stages towards homes as too slow and lacking vision.

The positive side is that if Openreach is deploying too slowly to areas where others can make not for profit or proper commercial solutions deliver there is nothing stopping them deploying. The weekly news of more fibre deployments suggest that rather than stymying innovation, the low targets of the BDUK and Government vision might just be acting as a stimulus for others to get on and do their own thing, the end result being that in ten years time there should be a infrastructure competition deep into the rural heartlands of the UK.

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Olivia Garfield claims that 24 Meg is all a family needs

I agree with this. A single person needs no more than 8meg to get by. 8meg is more than enough for a single person do do everything they want, because chances are they'll only be doing one thing at a time. 24meg sounds about right for a family. Fibre is just a novelty, there is no legitimate reason for an 80meg connection for a residential customer other than to extend their e-peen. Faster Uploads however are a different matter. If they could give 8d/5u packs and 24d/10u packs then that would be perfect for residential customers. Anything more should really be left for businesses.
      dholdi likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I would most certainly agree with a friendly request to increase the upload speeds. 1mb is just too slow to do anything useful in terms of streaming your own video, for example, when away from home.

The packages and tools exist to do this already, but I find it impossible to do on an ADSL connection.

As for download speeds, things are improving all the time. More computers and TVs are capable of streaming HD video up to 1080p and more websites are capable of showing the material. Get just a couple of these on a single connection and 24mb connections just won't cope.

Of course as connection speeds improve & computers get faster, demand increases and more people are getting on-line.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

therealdj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton
      Router: Sky SR101 Hub
      Thanks

Completely agree, no one needs more than 24 meg, but I want more more more :-).
      I understand the examples but the faster the speed the faster the steam games, xbox games and "Linux iso's" ;-) come down!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      other than to extend their e-peen.
      rofl

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Saying that 24Mb is more than enough for any household is all very well, but! How many households can get 24 Mb on ADSL? Dammed few! I think the average connection for UK is now around 8Mb and this is inflated because of the fibre connections. Restricting it to ADSL only will reduce this by quite a bit. That's why Fibre is needed by the 'multi person' household.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by therealdj View Post
      Completely agree, no one needs more than 24 meg, but I want more more more :-).
      I understand the examples but the faster the speed the faster the steam games, xbox games and "Linux iso's" ;-) come down!

Some of those games on steam are getting ridiculously large!

My Steam folders equate to 35GB and I only have 3 - 4 games installed at the moment! (depends if you count Supreme commander / forged alliance as 1 game or 2)

therealdj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton
      Router: Sky SR101 Hub
      Thanks

Mmm playstation plus is a killer as well, downloaded well over 100GB in free games from that, most xbox demos are coming in at around 2GB and things are only going to get bigger!

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Olivia Garfield claims that 24 Meg is all a family needs-picard-facepalm.jpg

There is no hope for UK broadband with idiots like this running the show.