Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

July 2nd announced as launch date for Openreach FTTP

This is a discussion on July 2nd announced as launch date for Openreach FTTP within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; thinkbroadband :: July 2nd announced as launch date for Openreach FTTP Now that a full commercial launch date has been ...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

July 2nd announced as launch date for Openreach FTTP

thinkbroadband :: July 2nd announced as launch date for Openreach FTTP
      Now that a full commercial launch date has been announced for the Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) product from Openreach we will hopefully see more retail providers offering the service. The launch date on 2nd July, follows on from trials of new speed variants.
      Our fibre forum regularly features people who know their area is earmarked for the FTTP service, but the roll-out has not been completed. With luck Openreach will use the full commercial launch to put more resources into rolling out the service to the 10-15% of premises in the UK that FTTP is earmarked for.

While a lot of the coverage is focused on the fastest options that give 330 Mbps downstream, and 30 Mbps upstream, the availability of the slower 80 Mbps should help to ensure people can afford to buy the service

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: July 2nd announced as launch date for Openreach FTTP

I think BTO tend to spread their resources too thinly. Their objective seems to be to be able to boast that they supply a faster service than Virgin. They would serve better using the millions they are devoting to FTTP home in upgrading more exchanges to FTTC. How many are going to be able to afford the full commercial cost of FTTH? In today's financial climate very few I think.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

FTTP will be the way of the future. As is common with most technology things, prices will indeed drop and early adopters will be charged through the roof.

The main issue at the present time, as I see it anyway, isn't so much the cost, but the already over stressed backhauls and servers.

Adding a 330mb service will just push the BTW backhaul even further downhill and upset even more customers.

It does seem that BTO are spending the money on the local units (i.e. cabinets, cable from the exchange to the cabinets) but I would hope that it is also being spent on upgrading the exchanges and the links between the exchanges and the servers.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It does seem that BTO are spending the money on the local units (i.e. cabinets, cable from the exchange to the cabinets) but I would hope that it is also being spent on upgrading the exchanges and the links between the exchanges and the servers.
      Have they announced any details on the logistics of how exactly people will get hooked up?

I mean will it be a matter of individual premises signing up and then having their cables replaced individually from the cabinets? Seems like that approach would lead to an awful lot of unnecessary duplication. Or will the chosen areas already have some kind of kerbside fibre lines in place when the product gets offered?

Thanks

The links provided in the article above don't give any information about how FTTP is to be installed in that level of detail.

On the BTO Site, there is the following in their announcement:

GEA-FTTP full commercial launch
      Please note that where applicable Excess Construction Charges will apply from the launch date.
      Perhaps someone who lives in an FTTP enabled area can shed a little more detail on this?

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

but the question is will this speed this 330 meg be available to customers on fttc or is that not possible

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

but the question is will this speed this 330 meg be available to customers on fttc or is that not possible
      Due to the copper wiring from the house to the fibre cabinet, it is not possible. This would have to be replaced with fibre to get the high speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: VMG1312-B10A & Asus RT-86U with Merlin FW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Due to the copper wiring from the house to the fibre cabinet, it is not possible. This would have to be replaced with fibre to get the high speed.
      very true, although FTTC is meant to be able to provide upto 200Mbps on a 30a profile (currently 17a), but you would need to be very close to the street cab to achieve this and have a very good line and it would be even more susceptible to interference then 17a due to the higher frequency used
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Thanks

It is hard to keep up with all these changes at the moment. Certainly it will be interesting to see when, rather than if, Sky will launch an FTTP based product.

I think they have severally under estimated the demand for SFU and SFUP will most certainly take off as it is rolled out now.

Sadly the time that it takes for FTTP to be installed is quite significant. I don't know if the times have improved, but initially BTO were taking an average of 7 hours per property.

The thing is I don't recall cable ever taking that long, and they are installing cable in new ducts to new properties. Sure there is the damage to various existing ducts, but much of the BTO cabling in draped over Telegraph poles.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

while 330 meg is nice I cant see many opting for it yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast