Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

My BT Experience

This is a discussion on My BT Experience within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; I feel i should share this with the people here at sky user, it infuriates me this and I enjoy ...

Christopher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sacriston
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My BT Experience

I feel i should share this with the people here at sky user, it infuriates me this and I enjoy telling it to others so other people dont make the same mistake I did and go with BT.

About 8 months ago we were on BT Broadband (cant remember which option) I know the service was 2Mb with a 30Gb cap, it wasn't their top package but it was close, the next one down I think?

We decided that we would get BT Broadband with BT Broadband Talk (VoIP) but we discovered that doing this would mean that we would have cancel our current broadband subscription and sign up again, so we did, to the better 2Mb, 40Gb cap service which costed more, we got the talk router everything installed, talk worked great, but our broadband speed had been reduced to 1Mb!!!

I thought "ah this will be temp problem it will get back up to 2Mb in a few days", and it never, infact it never did, so we rang BT, we explained how we had UPGRADED!! our package when we switched to broadband talk and that our speed had been cut in half, they told us it was a BT wholesale issue and they couldn't solve it, we got tossed around from place to place never getting an answer, eventually they said this was the reason (like hell is it!)

They said the line was oversold (oversold?)

They said that there were too many people subscribed to broadband on the exchange and that the reason we were getting 1Mb was to conserve bandwidth for other users, but wait, I was getting 2.2Mb previously so where had the extra 1.1Mb I was getting previously gone? this is when they changed their story to "you must be too far away from the exchange sir it is only an UPTO 2Mb service".

I continued to explain how I had previously had 2Mb yet they failed to listen, so we just accepted it, I was frustrated with it myself and eventually encouraged my dad to switch to skyBB connect, which we are now waiting on, hopefully the speed will be a lot better than the crap BT were selling.

I just felt I had to share that with people, my advice would be to stay away from BT, they are slowly getting worse and worse, what haoppened to them being the best out there?
      Last edited by Christopher; 08-10-06 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Personnally I think BT have become complacent.

I know an engineer ex BT who now makes more money subcontracted to them. Apparantly they have very few people nowadays who are fully skilled, to do simple jobs.

My friend is fully qualified and gets silly amounts of money per job, and if he gets 3 or more done in a day he making a killing.

He gets jobs to go down manholes etc, as very few BT people are trained to do the same work. I just think that BT thought they were unbeatable and it has all come back to haunt them.

However on the other side of the coin, i have heard very few complaints off people on BT bb as it just works.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Christopher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sacriston
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your right about it just working, their routers seem good too in terms of being online for long periods of time, my BT voyager 2500v hasnt been turned off for any length of time since i got it. The problem is alot of the people on BT are probably the type of people who aren't bothered about shopping around and finding a good deal (this proven by the price/service BT offer)

I am yet to talk to anyone in my area who has had 8 Mb with BT, I also read advertised somewhere that the telecoms market was being opened up by a regulatory body? ofcom/oftel, dont know which but you know who I mean in your mind right?

Anyhow, I think this will see the demise of BT's monopoly over the telecoms market in this country, I think the fact that BT are charged with keeping everything working is a mis guided concept, It should be kept working by the government and line rental should be paid to the government, the only reason it isn't is because BT own it all, it is a sorry state of affairs BT can do what in gods name they like when it comes to housekeeping of telephone exchanges, i.e. if there is a fault on a line then BT decide when it gets fixed, really hope that BT loose their grip, they dont have good technical support....

the tech at BT think linux is a software package within windows???

I wont go on but in my opinion BT are the worst offenders, alot of the problems on this site have been with BT and getting the line changed over from previous ISPs, thats BTs job and they're failing.