Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

looking to extend front panel motherboard cables

This is a discussion on looking to extend front panel motherboard cables within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; hi iam looking to extend front panel motherboard cables so i can have a remote switch 10ft from my pc ...

paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

looking to extend front panel motherboard cables

hi iam looking to extend front panel motherboard cables so i can have a remote switch 10ft from my pc .

i have ordered one of these 4044951007776 - Sharkoon PC Jump Start Silver External Remote PC Power Switch - TOP Product - Scan.co.uk

but it is only 2.5mtrs long so i was going to extend the two cables i need which are the pwr switch and reset switch, i need them extending to 10ft. please could somebody help.

info needed

1 gauge of wire needed
      2 were to buy it from (UK ONLY)
      3 were to get the pin connector and how to fit them

item all ready purchased

1 sharkoon jump start switch
      2 heat shrink sleeving 15ft

ps all attempts at getting complete unit are fruitless both esisting devices perfect for me were both DISCONTINUED in the early 2000s

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: looking to extend front panel motherboard cables

Depending on where it is going to be placed, in theory you should be able to cobble something together quite easily. The on/off switch simply makes a temporary short between two pins on the connector. The voltage & amps are small.

All you would need is a simple push switch and a 3m length of thin two-core cable.

If required you could fit a small housing or you could fit the switch to your furniture.

I would start by looking at stripping down an old PC case, but on most instances the switches won't be suitable for a DIY job such as this. My next port of call would be Maplin then RS Components.

push button : Maplin Electronics (search the 'Components')

Do test the switch first as they normally come with 2 circuits. One circuit is closed, except when you push the button, the other is open. You need a button the returns to it's normal state when you let go, much like the on/off button on the case. The alternative would be one that needs you to press it twice, which is not suitable.

As for the cable, I am sure that some thin speaker cable would be more than sufficient. Most twin core cable would be sufficient but could be too thin and prone to being broken easily.

The connector for the MOBO is simple enough to put together. If you are wanting to use both this and the on/off switch on the front of your case, then you could use a pair of Cable clips (see link below) to join to the existing wires.

SnapLock Automotive Cable Connectors : Crimp Terminals : Maplin

The alternative would be to make your own from the components used an old MOBO or CD ROM Drive connector.

A knowledge of soldering will be needed to make the best of this. Find a friend to assist if you have ad little practise. Please do not use lots of electrical tape to connect everything. I've seen people do things like this and it makes a lovely mess.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms