Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

windows defender/avg free8

This is a discussion on windows defender/avg free8 within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Originally Posted by andykate took your advice and downloaded the 3 you suggest.now i need to know the best way ...

KissMyFace is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ryhope-Sunderland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: windows defender/avg free8

Quote Originally Posted by andykate View Post
      took your advice and downloaded the 3 you suggest.now i need to know the best way to utilise them.will they come on when i turn the pc on?how often should i run scans??
      told you im just learning...!!
      Ad-Aware

Ad-Aware will run at startup when you first turn your pc on, you will notice the little tray icon in the bottom right corner.

Run Ad-Aware every 1-2 weeks to get rid of little traces like tracking cookies etc, you can run 2 different types of scan Smart and Full, Smart is quick, only takes around 5 mins but only scans the essential parts of your system whereas Full will scan all of your system but will take anywhere from 20 mins - 1hr depending how many files you have on your pc.

Everytime before you run a scan, update the definitions using the Web Update Icon.

Spybot Search and Destroy

Spybot is similar to Ad-Aware but it also includes an Immunization Tool which will help prevent malicious programs being installed on your pc.

To Update Spybot, Select Update in the left pane and you will be guided through the process of downloading each definition file. Once the updates have been downloaded, click the Immunize Icon to load the definitions, make sure your browser (IE or Firefox) is closed and click Immunize.

Run Scans every few weeks.

Spyware Blaster

All you need to do with Spyware Blaster is Update and Immunize.

To Update, Select Updates, Download the definitions and Click Enable All Protection.

Hope you find this useful mate, let me know if you encounter any problems and ill see what i can do! As for your xbox, i know how you feel, sent mine off to Germany a while back and i was without it for a week, but it killed me!

2. Advertisement
      andykate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: crossgates,leeds
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

VERY,VERY useful m8.some things to do with pc's can be quite daunting if you dont have half a clue to start with.im one of those whose not happy to just let things run,i NEED to know how it all works.im slowly getting there.had some good advice on here.learned more in 2 weeks on here than in 6 months on other sites.
      as for xbox!i got two now,ups have just been.
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

KissMyFace is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ryhope-Sunderland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andykate View Post
      VERY,VERY useful m8.some things to do with pc's can be quite daunting if you dont have half a clue to start with.im one of those whose not happy to just let things run,i NEED to know how it all works.im slowly getting there.had some good advice on here.learned more in 2 weeks on here than in 6 months on other sites.
      as for xbox!i got two now,ups have just been.
      No problem. Well lucky you, maybe you can play both at the same time lol!

andykate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: crossgates,leeds
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I think my girls are trying to come up with some kind of blag to hijack my spare one!!!lol
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123