Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the digital TV switchover?

This is a discussion on What is the digital TV switchover? within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Starting soon and ending in 2012, TV services in the UK will go completely digital, TV region by TV region. ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

What is the digital TV switchover?

Starting soon and ending in 2012, TV services in the UK will go completely digital, TV region by TV region. This process is called digital switchover.

After switchover, all television in the UK will be digital. The UK’s old television broadcast signal (known as “analogue”) is being switched off and replaced with a “digital” signal. Any TV set or video recorder that’s not converted to digital when the switchover takes place will no longer receive TV programmes.
      What are the benefits of digital TV?

Compared to traditional TV, it brings many new ways to enjoy your TV:

* Extra TV channels as standard
      * Subscription channels
      * Improved quality
      * New features
      * Access services

How does it work?

With digital TV, sound and pictures from the broadcaster are converted into ‘bits’ of information and sent through an aerial, satellite, telephone line or cable. This digital signal is then turned back into pictures and sound by a digital box or a digital TV set.

What equipment will I need to get digital television?

You do not need to replace your existing television sets to receive digital services. You will need to get some additional equipment that will connect to your existing television.

* Digital Terrestrial TV: viewers will need a digital set top box or a new television with built in digital adapter (known as an integrated digital TV, or IDTV). Some viewers may also need to replace their aerial.
      * Digital Satellite TV: viewers will need a satellite receiver and dish, provided by the satellite broadcaster.
      * Digital Cable TV: a connection to a cable system and indoor decoder box is provided by the cable company.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      murdock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: What is the digital TV switchover?

If you do not want to pay a subscription and do
      not want to sell your soul to Rupert the (picnic) bear,
      check out the Freesat sub forum on this site
      especially this
      BBC/ITV Freesat

BBC and ITV must launch a Freesat service as 25% of the country
      cannot get Freeview. Both are digital services.

My Max. Faster, Cheaper, Better

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

It doesn't appear that much thought has been given to the elderly as the switch-over looms.

Remote controls seem to be getting more complex, and smaller which are just not suitable for those with limited dexterity.
      My elderly mum just wants to be able to turn on the TV and select channels simply without going through a menu system.
      Maybe a huge remote with 20 odd individual programme buttons.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

We live in Stevenage and when the town was being built in the 1950's it was decided that there would be no roof arials and there would be a communal arial delivered by cable TV and so no TV transmitters were built to cover the town.

When NTL took over the local cable TV company the 1st thing to happen was that the communal arial was turned off so the town's terrestial TV signal was wiped out. So now we have no Freeview signal and a choice of Sky or Virgin for our TV and no plans to launch freeview over here, not bad for a town of 70,000+ people and expansion will take it over 100,000.

Both Sky and Virgin must be rubbing their hands with that 25% of the country that can't get freeview.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

But surely before the annologue switch off somebody must provide a freeview service ??

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

The Freesat service by Sky or the ITV/BBC one would surely fit the needs of this town. Freesat by Sky can't cost that much more than a digital aerial install!
      Last edited by mikey4020; 03-09-07 at 08:31 PM.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This whole area of sat dishes and roof aerials is an odd one. Given the Stevenage example (and really how offensive are TV aerials?) it's hard to believe that recent legislation has actually eased the restriction on the number of dishes per building. As Sky gained in popularity dishes sprouted but fortunately most are now mini-dish which it is hard to take exception to.

However, I live in an area of homes in multiple occupation with a wide mix of ethnic groups, many of whom seem to prefer to watch programs from their own country. So in addition to the Sky mini dishes you see property after property festooned with full sized ones. Not to mention the mobile phone masts now on so many taller buildings

One dish erected recently partially blocks the view from my window and twice now I've caught erectors trying to put neighbour's dishes on our building. They feigned innocent surprised when I pointed out that they were committing trespass and criminal damage.

It's clear to me that to stop our urban areas becoming the the mess they are in countries where power and phone lines are still above ground, satellite's days are numbered and, in cities at least, cable/internet will be the way to go.

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I agree a mini dish is fairly unobtrusive, even the slightly larger size they use up here in Scotland and parts of N. England, and can often (depending on the type of house) be erected in a way that isn't too obtrusive. On the side of a chimney stack or even fairly low down the house for example. These full size dishes though are horrible and ugly and should IMO be subject to planning permission. I don't think cable is the only way to go though, I think in terms of TV satellite has better bandwidth advantages.

kiwiwannabe1982 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

compared to shiny white plastic windows, a black/grey/mesh sat dish is wholly inoffensive IMHO.
      Especially after living in North America where 4 dishes stuck on various parts of a house isnt unusual (different providers and some diff sats from same provider)
      so the rules about needing permission to erect a dish / wind turbine etc are a load of cobblers to me, especially when cities like Glasgow, Manchester etc insist on maintaining ugly 60s tower blocks and putting up hordes of new concrete and glass monstrosities.
      frankly a ban on buildings above 3 stories would be a vast improvement on Britain's landscape in conjunction with the removal of existing concrete monsters!!

Spongebob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01538
      Broadband ISP: Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I dont live in a city and dont see buildings like you guys state, but I must admit if someone tried to put someone elses dish in front of my window...it wouldnt last very long.

Planning permission for a dish? its right that some dishes are damned ugly and huge, especially the motorised ones and they do look terrible.

Not far from me they stopped a pub putting up a St Georges Flag outside during the world cup (it was big to be fair but we do live in England) as it was obtrusive. also they were threatened with closure due to the noise.
      But not long afer a building was erected accross the road with a bright fluorescent green dome on top of it with a loudspeaker blaring out god knows what several times a day.

PC gone mad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast