Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dual Booting XP & Vista

This is a discussion on Dual Booting XP & Vista within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; OK this is a question for any nerds out there, I am currently dual booting XP & Vista and all ...

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dual Booting XP & Vista

OK this is a question for any nerds out there, I am currently dual booting XP & Vista and all is ok but I have a problem. Well it's not really a problem more of a preference!

My setup:

One hard drive with three partitions on it, C, D & E!

C has XP
      D has Vista
      E is for storing files etc... so that I don't loose them when re-installing any OS later on!

When I boot up in XP I have selected to hide Drive D which contains Vista to prevent any problems down the line so if anyone selects 'my computer' only Drives C which has XP and E which is used to store files on are shown. This is great just how I want it!

BUT:

When I boot up in Vista all three partitions are displayed! C which has Vista on (because when you dual boot whichever OS you run will be shown as Drive C.) D which has XP and finally Drive E!

I cannot hide Drive D in vista, it simply will not allow it because the boot loader is on the XP partition! it shows Drive C as system and Drive D as boot!

Anyone know of a fix to this? it ain't a major problem because permissions will only allow administrators to delete any files on the XP partition so as I'm the only admin there is no chance of that but I would if I could like to hide Drive D in vista!

HELPPPPPPPPPPP
      Last edited by acoolwelshbloke; 13-06-07 at 04:24 PM.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Dual Booting XP & Vista

Sorry I don't know, however I am about to dual boot mine, so I will try and replicate and problem solve.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Have you tried removing the drive letter (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management) from the partition? It doesn't hide it entirely but it won't show up in My Computer. (I'm glad to hear Vista's dual boot manager now changes the booted partition to C: - XP's used to keep it as D: !)

I prefer to use a third party Boot Manager (I use Boot Magic, though it's not the best). The advantage of this is all the OS install's are entirely separate from each other. I have 2 copies of XP, a copy of Vista, a copy of Win 2000, and one copy each of Ubuntu and OpenSUSE.

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chug a Bug View Post
      Have you tried removing the drive letter (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management) from the partition? It doesn't hide it entirely but it won't show up in My Computer. (I'm glad to hear Vista's dual boot manager now changes the booted partition to C: - XP's used to keep it as D: !)

I prefer to use a third party Boot Manager (I use Boot Magic, though it's not the best). The advantage of this is all the OS install's are entirely separate from each other. I have 2 copies of XP, a copy of Vista, a copy of Win 2000, and one copy each of Ubuntu and OpenSUSE.
      That is what I did to hide Vista in XP, but it does not work in vista as it will not allow me to do it!

As I pointed out it's because C & D in vista are system disks C being the system disk in vista and D being the boot disk!

It works in XP because C is both the boot disk and system disk!

Thanks for the advice though.