Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By pete.i
    • 1 Post By wizard200

Warning about Scam calls

This is a discussion on Warning about Scam calls within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; This is seriously worrying ! Last week my sister in law phoned SKY regarding her internet connection. The next day ...

odds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Q Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Warning about Scam calls

This is seriously worrying !

Last week my sister in law phoned SKY regarding her internet connection. The next day she had a phone call from someone saying they were from "Sky Technicians"
      Now, my relation isn't techie but luckily her daughter was there. They convinced them to install Teamviewer, and then activated the camera on the laptop, so her daughter covered it up immediately.
      They then insisted she remove the cover off the camera, and then downloaded a form for her bank details to pay 400 for their services. When she refused to do any shy was called a F***ing Bitch and the call ended.
      When she asked me to look at her Laptop to make sure she was safe to use it again, it showed that she had installed Teamviewer and there was no other dodgy installations and thankfully the laptop is not used for any financial transactions at all.

So my worries are, a day after speaking to Sky someone phoned her back claiming to be Sky Technicians and they knew why they had phoned, so where did this scammer get her number from ?
      Is this such a coincidence ?

Sky have denied any knowledge of this return call from them, so I have advised her to inform Sky that her personal data has been breached by a member of their staff.

The number she was called from was 01276438824 and it was a nice Asian sounding guy

Just be warned !!

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: Warning about Scam calls

This is a long standing scam with the scammers saying they are from Microsoft, sky, BT, Talk Talk and all others in between. Whether they have monitored the call or whether an insider has cloned your number or whether it is just an opportunist call I do not know. What I do know is that after setting up Sky Talk Shield my scam calls have stopped 100%. Sky Talk Shield can be a slight pain to set up as you do have put all your "wanted" numbers into the system but it is well worth it and it is free, well free in as much that it doesn't cost any more than the normal Sky subscriptions.

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics...need-help-with
      wizard200 likes this.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

These scams are so frequent now they are right pain in the butt! My mate a few months ago had a genuine call with Microsoft in connection with a password reset, so when he received a call back from ‘Microsoft’ a day or so later he thought the call was genuine and connected with his previous call, but it wasn’t Microsoft and he ended up getting scammed! And only yesterday my elderly mother received a call from Barclays fraud dept asking her to go through security details, but because I have drummed it into her never to give any details over the phone she told them to bug off and hung up on them. Problem was that when she told me and I decided to ring Barclays to check, the call actually was from Barclays fraud dept, because they had blocked the purchase of a TV in Curry’s using her cloned card details! Ffhbghghgh!!!

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I had a similar text message from the fraud department at my bank asking me to telephone a mobile number that I did not recognise. I complied but queried the call when I was asked for card details including long card number and expiry date which I refused to give. The call handler was polite and understood my concerns so asked me to call back on a number that I recognised and ask to be put through to the fraud department. It turned out to be a genuine call. They had already put a temporary stop on my card after someone in a London store had attempted to purchase over 300 pounds worth of fishing tackle using a cloned card. You can never be too careful, though I still don't know how the thief had obtained my card details as I had not been to London and would never buy fishing tackle.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NowTV Fab Fibre 38
      Router: HG612 & Asus RT-86U with Merlin FW
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If I ever receive a call from my bank or credit card company I always tell them I will call them back. Had the same happen, had a call from 'the fraud' department, said I will call them back and it actually was them calling for a genuine reason.

Not worth taking any chances with received phone calls.

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Hello All
      I must agree with Pete. i the number of calls we were getting each day was a real pain
      most of them happened while we were at work but quite a few left a message on the machine
      in fact, it got so bad that I switched off the answerphone altogether but when Sky added Talk shield
      it worked great & We now get No Scam Calls whatsoever So Result..............

I agree it takes a while to add all the numbers you need but worth the effort believe Me
      plus the bonus is No Extra Cost I was going to buy the bt special phone that doe's the same thing
      from Amazon & the Cost at that Time was around 65.00 quid.

Just a Thought..............

Warning about Scam calls-38573679-today.jpg .............. Via Wifi
      Last edited by wizard200; 10-09-18 at 08:03 PM. Reason: X eyed
      seawright likes this.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wizard200 View Post
      Hello All
      I must agree with Pete. i the number of calls we were getting each day was a real pain
      most of them happened while we were at work but quite a few left a message on the machine
      in fact, it got so bad that I switched off the answerphone altogether but when Sky added Talk shield
      it worked great & since We now get No Scam Calls whatsoever So Result..............

I agree it takes a while to add all the numbers you need but worth the effort believe Me
      plus the bonus is No Extra Cost I was going to buy the bt special phone that doe's the same thing
      from Amazon & the Cost at that Time was around 65.00 quid.

Just a Thought..............

I did buy that phone before sky talk shield was launched. It did work okay but Sky Talk Shield is way way better.