Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

BT to increase line rental

This is a discussion on BT to increase line rental within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; BBC News - BT warns it will increase phone bills by 6.5% BT has warned millions of customers it is ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

BT to increase line rental

BBC News - BT warns it will increase phone bills by 6.5%

BT has warned millions of customers it is increasing its prices by up to 6.5% from December this year.

It will increase the line rental for direct debit customers by 6.25% to 16.99, and the rate for calling UK landlines by 6.44%.

The set-up fee for landline calls, residential calls, to the speaking clock and call return charges will also increase for some or all customers.

But BT said it had added "extra money-saving options" for poorer customers.

'Taken care'
      The majority of its customers were on inclusive call packages and would not pay set-up fees or pence per minute charges on calls, said BT.

BT's option for low-income customers, BT Basic, will stay the same at 5.10 a month with a call allowance.

John Petter, chief executive at BT Consumer, said: "We have taken care to make sure that low-income customers avoid price increases."

He added: "We have added extra money-saving options for low-income customers and for customers who only want a phone line for calls."

Broadband prices are going up by as much as 6.49%, although BT said its current "high profile" press and TV broadband offers would stay at the same price.

It added that call bills had fallen 14% in the past five years.

Sky, BT's rival, is set to increase some of its tariffs from September.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: BT to increase line rental

I had no idea they had a package for low income households.

I'd probably qualify for the 5.10 line rental but would i move to bt?
      Nope.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

My dad gets pension credit (not sure what the 'guaranteed' criteria means yet) so he might qualify.

It's actually very tempting to start making enquiries about this because 10GB/month ADSL2+ broadband is only 4.85/month too so that's 9.95 for phone & bb, whereas now he's at 15.40 (+ 5 for anytime uk) for just phone.

Being blind he won't use the web, but for some youtube fun when family visit + on demand etc, we were looking at sky's free 2GB/month broadband a while ago.

One stumbling block though was that sky still have no way of actioning a master socket relocation.
      Wifi at his is bound to be bad, so there's either the price & possible awkwardness of homeplugs, or the price of dongles to add to the 60+ set-up.
      And 2GB won't get you a single HD film per month.

I'll also bet bt will get the socket moved quite quickly too if signing up hinged on it...

edit
      I really need to read things more carefully.

He gets ESA so will definitely qualify but with just 4.50 of calls thrown in per quarter there's no way it'll work out.
      Oh well.
      Last edited by gymno; 23-08-14 at 04:39 PM.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: vodafone supafast 2
      Router: vodafone isp router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

when bt increase the line rental all the other isps have to do the same no wonder bts a joke.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Line rental is a joke, it's as pointless a term as "National Insurance".

If you have to have a line to get broadband then it's time to roll the cost into one so the overall price is clear.
      gymno likes this.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Yeah, it's a bit strange that i've never had a bb price increase despite all the upgrades & maintenance, yet line rentall with no upgrades & less maintenance goes up every year.
      stereohaven likes this.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
      Line rental is a joke, it's as pointless a term as "National Insurance".

If you have to have a line to get broadband then it's time to roll the cost into one so the overall price is clear.
      Would you prefer the way that Virgin Media operates where broadband costs more if their telephone service is not taken?

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Would you prefer the way that Virgin Media operates where broadband costs more if their telephone service is not taken?
      But that's not what I was talking about?

I was just saying that it would be simpler if they just got rid of the term "line rental" and rolled it into the price of the broadband product. For example, if the line rental was 15.99 a month (and you have to have it whether or not you use the phone to make a call), then the broadband is 7.50 a month on top, what's the point in splitting the cost?

The true cost of the broadband is simply 22.49 a month, so why not just call it what it is?

If someone is stupid enough to take broadband from VM without line rental and pay extra for the privilege then that's their prerogative.
      Last edited by stereohaven; 24-08-14 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Tidy up.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
      But that's not what I was talking about?

I was just saying that it would be simpler if they just got rid of the term "line rental" and rolled it into the price of the broadband product. For example, if the line rental was 15.99 a month (and you have to have it whether or not you use the phone to make a call), then the broadband is 7.50 a month on top, what's the point in splitting the cost?
      The question is, where a standing charge (the line rental) is shared between two utilities (telephone and broadband) should the full standing charge be incorporated into the total cost of one or the other? In the case of VM the monthly broadband cost increases by 11 which compares favourably with 15.99 line rental for customers who don't require a telephone service.

I know it's like trying to compare apples with oranges but energy suppliers used to provide nil standing charge tariffs until Ofgem stepped in and forbade this practice.
      I suspect Ofcom would act in a similar fashion if ISPs were to sell broadband in the way you suggest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast