Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree3Likes

BT to increase line rental

This is a discussion on BT to increase line rental within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; That BT basic offer is really easy to find going in straight via the normal bt .com website *****NOT***** how ...

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: BT to increase line rental

That BT basic offer is really easy to find going in straight via the normal bt.com website
      *****NOT***** how the heck do company's get away with hiding offers like this away out of site like they do! :-( This would be perfect for my Mum.
      gymno likes this.

2. Advertisement
      stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      The question is, where a standing charge (the line rental) is shared between two utilities (telephone and broadband) should the full standing charge be incorporated into the total cost of one or the other? In the case of VM the monthly broadband cost increases by 11 which compares favourably with 15.99 line rental for customers who don't require a telephone service.

I know it's like trying to compare apples with oranges but energy suppliers used to provide nil standing charge tariffs until Ofgem stepped in and forbade this practice.
      I suspect Ofcom would act in a similar fashion if ISPs were to sell broadband in the way you suggest.
      OK, I see what you mean now.

NickStone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

energy suppliers used to provide nil standing charge tariffs until Ofgem stepped in and forbade this practice.
      I suspect Ofcom would act in a similar fashion if ISPs were to sell broadband in the way you suggest.
      Actually ofgem didn't force energy companies to get rif of the standing charge tariff. I know of one energy company that does not offer a standing charge. Ebico.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NickStone View Post
      Actually ofgem didn't force energy companies to get rif of the standing charge tariff. I know of one energy company that does not offer a standing charge. Ebico.
      That's interesting. SSE used to have nil standing charge tariffs for both gas and electricity but they removed them when Ofgem ruled that supplier must simplify their charging structure. I don't know how independent Ebico is but I note that both their gas and electricity is supplied by SSE.

NickStone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

That's interesting. SSE used to have nil standing charge tariffs for both gas and electricity but they removed them when Ofgem ruled that supplier must simplify their charging structure. I don't know how independent Ebico is but I note that both their gas and electricity is supplied by SSE.
      Ebico are a small not for profit energy company that partner up with SSE (for England) to produce bills and supply energy. They partner another company in Scotlamd and another in Wales.
      The good thing about Ebico (for me) is that they don't have shareholders, there is only one tariff for everyone and no standing charge. Ideal for those like me who are low energy users.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Due to there being a pre-pay meter in place when i first moved to where i am now, i found ebico to be the best value until i could get the meter changed to a normal one.

Unlike every single other company at the time, they didn't charge extra for having this type of meter.
      (A practice which i found ridiculous considering they're generally only installed for low income or perhaps social housing properties).

It was SSE who supplied the electricity & sent the bills, which bizarrely were less than would have been had i gone direct to SSE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12