Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Piston

UK ISP TalkTalk Reports Rapid Uptake of FREE Privacy Calling Features

This is a discussion on UK ISP TalkTalk Reports Rapid Uptake of FREE Privacy Calling Features within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; UK ISP TalkTalk Reports Rapid Uptake of FREE Privacy Calling Features - ISPreview UK Budget broadband and calls provider TalkTalk ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

UK ISP TalkTalk Reports Rapid Uptake of FREE Privacy Calling Features

UK ISP TalkTalk Reports Rapid Uptake of FREE Privacy Calling Features - ISPreview UK
      Budget broadband and calls provider TalkTalk reports that its recent move to become “the first and only ISP” to make all of their fixed phone line privacy calling features (e.g. Last Caller Barring and Anonymous Caller Reject) completely free has boosted the number of customers using the service almost four-fold.

The change meant that TalkTalk’s customers could now use features including Last Caller Barring, Anonymous Caller Reject, Caller Display, 1571 Voicemail and Withhold Your Number, all without needing to pay extra. Some other ISPs typically charge additional fees worth several pounds per month (£1 – £4.50) per service but TalkTalk probably sees more value in this as a customer retention tool.

As a result the ISP states that “a large number of TalkTalk homes” have taken advantage of their free service, although the provider didn’t confirm an actual figure. According to TalkTalk, the strong uptake demonstrates that “people don’t believe they should have to pay to protect their privacy“, which is true but then anything useful offered for free is perhaps likely to be deemed equally attractive.

But nuisance calls are a very real problem and it’s refreshing to see this approach being taken. At the same time consumers need to be cautious about hiding their number from everybody, after all using the ‘Withhold Number’ service might trigger ‘Anonymous Caller Reject’ at your friend’s house. Spammers do often withhold their number but so can real people and as more use the service then an increasing number of legitimate calls risk being blocked.

2. Advertisement
      Piston is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk Fibre Large
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: UK ISP TalkTalk Reports Rapid Uptake of FREE Privacy Calling Features

I signed up straight away for this to block withheld numbers and to block most of the mortgage protection miss-selling callers. Strangely enough also for TalkTalk themselves. I was getting more unwanted calls from TalkTalk trying to sell me mobiles or extras than anyone else. They were ringing my phone more than my mother was.

Thanks

Any firm from which you purchase a service, Sky included, will wish to try and sell you more.

In Sky's case you can visit their website and change your marketing options within the 'My Sky' section.

I would expect TalkTalk to offer a similar service but not being a TalkTalk customer I don't know where this would be.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Piston is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk Fibre Large
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Oh I know Scubbie but it gets annoying when I get phoned on a Friday night at 8.45pm trying to sign me up for a mobile and I said I wasn't interested and then to be called the Monday morning straight after at 10am asking the same.

TalkTalk do have an option online to prevent them calling but because when I joined them I done it by phone that "master" account with the options couldn't be accessed. Something went wrong during that set up that means I had to use a different account and I did tick the box to say no marketing calls but because it wasn't set right in the "master" account it had no effect.

I got it sorted in the end though after my 2nd call to their call centre and having it dealt with by a manager. The call blocking features are excellent though & on one of their calls I ended up getting their TV service for free if I extended my contract for 2 years and I'm very happy with them now.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Good to know that it is sorted now.

I received one of those PPI text messages the other evening. Whilst reporting it I found out that there is a new text number to report such messages to your mobile provider.

So I simply forwarded the text, received a response askig for the number, and sent that too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms