Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Two thirds of Android users 'still on old versions'

This is a discussion on Two thirds of Android users 'still on old versions' within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; Two thirds of Android users 'still on old versions' - Telegraph Android users are currently divided between eight different versions ...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,219 Times in 2,088 Posts

Two thirds of Android users 'still on old versions'

Two thirds of Android users 'still on old versions' - Telegraph
      Android users are currently divided between eight different versions of the operating system, but fragmentation has its benefits, according to a new report.

Google Android is by far the most popular mobile operating system in Britain, accounting for 56 percent of the UK smartphone market. But with a new version of Android becoming available every six to nine months, the platform is becoming increasingly fragmented.

According to a new report by wireless network data company OpenSignal, over a third of Android users (34 per cent) are still on the Gingerbread version, which launched in February 2011. 32 per cent are on the original verison of Jelly Bean, launched in July 2012, and 23 per cent are on Ice cream Sandwich, which launched in December 2011.

Interestingly, only 0.1 per cent are on Honeycomb the version that came between Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich, which launched in July 2011. This is probably because most people who bought Honeycomb phones were given the option to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich when it launched, whereas many on Gingerbread were not.

That leaves 6 percent on the most recent version of Jelly Bean (Android 4.2), 3 percent on Froyo, 3 percent on Eclair and 2 per cent on Donut the earliest version still in use, which launched in September 2009.

The report also found that South Korean device manufacturer Samsung dominates the Android market, with a 47.5 per cent share. Sony-Ericsson comes in second with 6.5 percent, followed by Motorola with 4.2 per cent and HTC with 3.9 per cent.

In total, OpenSignal claims to have seen 11,868 distinct Android devices this year, up from 3,997 last year. The numbers are based on downloads of the company's app, which provides maps of wireless hotspots. 682,000 devices were surveyed for this report.

Commenting on the findings, OpenSignal said that fragmentation is both a strength and weakness of the Android ecosystem. While it poses a headache to developers who have to test and optimise on an ever-increasing number of devices, the success of the of the Android ecosystem cannot be separated from its fragmented nature.

This is because it allows consumers to get exactly the phone they want big or small, cheap or expensive, with any number of different feature combinations. Fragmentation is also responsible for a broader, more geographically dispersed Android market, according to OpenSignal.

"Cheaper devices will struggle to run the most recent versions of Android and the fragmented operating system serves as an enabler of an ecosystem that is becoming more globally, and socio-economically, inclusive," the company said in its report.

"Apple are currently working on a lower-end device, increasing the fragmentation of their ecosystem in the process, suggesting that the Android ecosystem is not only doing something right, but doing something to be imitated."
      Note:
      Before attempting to update your phone please ensure that you backup all the contacts, memo data, any other personal files and make a written note of many of the items too.

As much as I would encourage people to upgrade the firmware on their phone, there is a chance that it can go wrong and you could lose all your data. There are various on-line forums where you can see if others have experienced issues with performing the update on your model. Check them out first. Remember too that people generally only post when there is a problem. Most will be just fine.

I have successfully updated my own Samsung Galaxy S2 from Gingerbread to ICS and now Jellybean since I purchased it. Samsung's software (Samsung Kies) has been updated and appears to work a lot better than it used to. You can use this to backup the entire contents of your phone, but you will need to make a note of your email accounts and other pieces like that should you need to reset the phone.

2. Advertisement
      Kona Owner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT HomeHub4
      Thanks

Re: Two thirds of Android users 'still on old versions'

Thing is the manufacturers refuse to supply updates, it isn't the users fault, just look at Sony and HTC with the Xperia S and One S, not even 18 months ago they were top flight phones which are still capable now and they are both out of support (although Sony are attempting to fix their uber crap attempt at Jelly Bean)

As for backing up contacts etc. you don't have to, when you flash or reset an android phone it will just download everything from Google. Personal files such as images, music should not be touched in the process but backing them up is prudent.

If everyone just bought Google Nexus products then everyone else would have to take note.
      John
      View My Flickr

Thanks

Sadly many people do have to wait for the updates from their providers in most cases. Exceptions are out there where people have purchased their phone in another country, for example.

Having reset my phone a few times recently, I can vouch for the fact that backing up everything is invaluable. At the same time, not all my contacts were backed up to Google's service.

Having read some of the issues which some people experienced with updating the S2s from Gingerbread, I would definately recommend that people backup prior to the update.

I can't say what other models are like and since then things have been far less of an issue for the S2.

Having said all this, I find JB a lot more easier to use than Gingerbread. Being able to change the message tones once more to my own tunes, for example, was a definate issue previously.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

"Apple are currently working on a lower-end device, increasing the fragmentation of their ecosystem in the process, suggesting that the Android ecosystem is not only doing something right, but doing something to be imitated."

That statement is complete and utter rubbish as regardless of the handset type, Apple do and will continue to push updates to everyone as soon as it becomes available.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post

That statement is complete and utter rubbish as regardless of the handset type, Apple do and will continue to push updates to everyone as soon as it becomes available.
      So all iPhones and iPads will download and run the very latest OS and everyone is running the most recent version. In that case why buy the latest iPhone when the very oldest iPhone will run the same OS?

Exchange:
      Thanks

That argument can be used for any handset type though. Why upgrade to an Galaxy S4 when you already have the S3?

It's the O/S we are talking about not the handset.

Over 90% of iOS users are using the latest version that's available to them and that's because Apple had the balls to stand up to the mobile networks and not let them anywhere near the O/S (other than them providing a carrier file) so there's no waiting for the network to come up with the update as well as throwing in their bloatware and other junk. Google should have done the same but didn't and just look at the mess it's causing.

Thanks

Depending on what you want from the phone, it may well be worth upgrading to the newest version.

Faster processor, better resolution camera, better ability to hear what is being said, perhaps even a zoom lens.

Larger internal membory is also always a good thing.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post

I could be wrong James, but aren't they taking about cheaper hardware here, to compete against the many Andriod offerings which are far cheaper than any version of the iPhone.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy SII to Android 4 and it broke some of my favourite applications. This outweighed any advantages the upgrade might otherwise have had, so I reflashed the original version. There was no free upgrade path for the apps and I saw no reason to splash out again. I'm still very happy with the phone.

Regards,

Felix

Exchange:
      Thanks

Apple may well be offer a cheaper iPhone shortly, but what difference would that make within the current iOS ecosystem? Take the iPod Touch as an example, that already had cheaper hardware in it but the iPod Touch still follow all the other iOS devices when it comes to the O/S upgrade path. A cheaper iPhone will be no different than any other iOS device.

The whole iOS ecosystem, where Apple control the hardware they use in devices will always remain much less fragmented than the Android ecosystem simply because there's only one manufacturer supplying both the hardware and the software, which makes life easier for developers and end users.

The whole Android Sky Go app debacle is a prime example of what this O/S + hardware fragmentation leads to.