Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible Scam against Sky customers?

This is a discussion on Possible Scam against Sky customers? within the General chat forums, part of the Community channel category; I have just e-mailed sky via "contact us" and posted this info. I will update with any reply I get ...

oxter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01224 - Aberdeen West Thorngrove
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Possible Scam against Sky customers?

I have just e-mailed sky via "contact us" and posted this info.

I will update with any reply I get but this is for info meantime.

Hello

SECURITY
      I received a call 1530 on 22.1.09 from a guy who sounded "foreign" asking me to approve continuation of the warranty on my Sky "equipment". I said I would not pay for anything (equipment still under warranty) and he immediately hung up without another word. I get the gut feeling it was an attempted scam (phishing for card details?) Can you please investigate and if appropriate warn others?

UNQUOTE

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Possible Scam against Sky customers?

Been going on years.

Thanks

Thank you - just found the other links. Beware of bogus Sky TV warranty letters/telephone calls. Was trying to warn others but obviously a well known scam. Calller i/d was witheld.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

yeah, there are several out there. I had a call from a woman in glasgow about my warranty being nearly finished and asking whether I wanted to extend my warranty. I rejected the offer seeing as I didn't have Sky TV, or any Sky equipment at the time. Funny how she was sure I did at the start of the call. All she had to say when I told her was 'You could have said that at the start of the call'

I love pwning people

philip41 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

just had a call from Becky at "Satellite and homecare Services" formerly "Satcare" the caller said that she could save us 1.25 on our box cover, 8.25 to 7.00 a month.
      As we set this up ages ago, we had forgotten the name of the actual company we insure with(to many little policies you no how it is), i said yeh that sounds fine, she then wants us to give her our bank details so that the direct debit can be set up (alarm bells started ringing) she also wanted our debit or credit card details and the 3 digit number on the back.
      Of course re refused, we asked for a name and number to call them back on 0871 641 9910, we rang back a few mins later, this all sounded very Dodge y to us.

My wife works for a bank and all you need to set up a DD a name, account No and sort code.

She could not even give a reasonable answer as to why she needed the debit card number.

Lucky escape.

Thanks

Sky haven't even had the decency to reply to my e-mail warning!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oxter View Post
      Sky haven't even had the decency to reply to my e-mail warning!!
      I take it all back - better late than never. But doesn't tell me anything really.

Dear Mr *********

Account Number:**********

Thank you for your email regarding the telephone call for warranty on your Sky equipment.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the delay in replying you and any inconvenience caused.

Having looked through your account I can confirm that there has been no action on your account on the 22 January 2009 for around this date.

Thank you for your notice of this and certainly I will flag this our security department.

Should you require any further assistance please email me at the above address.

Yours sincerely

Tammany Agrella

Customer Relations

pattypat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 4380969
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

please can you advise me on this ,last auguest i found out i had been paying for the last couple of years to 3 differant groups,for insurance for my sky box i phoned them and asked if i could stop it and they all said no as the cooling of period for that year had lapsed i did not know or remember ,i remember them phoning me but i thought it was just for 12 months now i have a final notice from Got u covered for 117.47 when i phoned they was very abrupt and told me i had to pay this years as i did not phone on time to stop it,i did not even know i was still with them, also i have got one fromSatellite&Home care they wan t35 cancelation fee and they are saying they are taking me to a small claims cour and the third i stayed with calledsky repaire sevice which by the time i phoned them up i just gave into them i have never not paid a bill in my life i am on disability and the medication i am on i dont know what day it is somtimesw please could you advise this has made me ill

Thanks

pattypat, get all your paperwork out and document when etc you phoned and what was response, then get yourself along to Citizens' Advice and ask for their help to cancel if you don't feel you can do it yourself. Might be better to pay a cancellation fee if that is actually necessary? than let it run on and on. You could always ask your local newspaper to make a story out of it and enlist their help to have it all cancelled in view of your situation? They'd have enough clout to make things happen and the threat of bad publicity might get things moving. If you've never had a claim, you might even get a goodwill refund!!

pattypat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 4380969
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

many thanks for your quick reply only paper work i have is the final demands,i have never been in this situation before and iam so annoyed,cant go to the papers we are a very private about our affairs.so do you think they would take us to court ,i have just noticed the got u covered one it was not the same name i signed up for why should i pay for somthing i did not not know i had and never used i had no paper work from any of them before they started asking for money,i just dont know i cant afford to pay anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast