Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High Latency

This is a discussion on High Latency within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, i've been with Sky BB for just over a month now and i have to say i'm highly disappointed. ...

Drackard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

High Latency

Hi, i've been with Sky BB for just over a month now and i have to say i'm highly disappointed. I've been reading through and noticed that quite a few people have latency problems with regards to online gaming, the problem is i spend most of my free time gaming online, especially on cs and bf2. My ping though seems to be anywhere from 70 - 90 on all UK servers .. whereas when i was with BT on a slower connection i had a ping of 20ms average on most servers .. just wondering if there is any particular reason why Sky are trying to make me commit public suicide .. or is this a recent common problem that is being resolved ? I tried emailing their tech support and still have not heard back, anyone have any idea's as to if there is a way to sort this ? Maybe i've missed some settings or something ?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scrubbless is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Benfleet, Essex
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: High Latency

I had a latency problem, im not sure your setup with BT, but I suspect you used a USB modem and not a router?

It could be your network card thats lagging things up so try this optermiser and see if it helps. My ping is around about 60-70 wireless, last time I tried it wired it was about 40.

Optimising your Broadband Connection

gaxze is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

quite a few of us have this problem, its down to bad routing by sky. ive got exactly same problem

Weston67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Halesowen
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gaxze View Post
      quite a few of us have this problem, its down to bad routing by sky. ive got exactly same problem
      Is there any fresh information on this issue being resolved or is it a problem they're washing their hands of? I don't see it as being acceptable that we get ping of 80+ when pinging UK based DNS Servers etc.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Weston67 View Post
      Is there any fresh information on this issue being resolved or is it a problem they're washing their hands of? I don't see it as being acceptable that we get ping of 80+ when pinging UK based DNS Servers etc.
      im gonna call 2moz, ive only just had sky and was told to wait over weekend, 2moz i call up n moan until its sorted, will post my results here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

its fruastrating coz i had to call twice to get something done.. im now going to get "the more advanced support" ring me in next couple of days, i have a ticket apparently and u cant call them direct so they have to call me.. bet a million they dont

Weston67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Halesowen
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I've had an email from them to say that it is because their service is an interleaving service rather than fast path (sound familiar?).

Your High Ping/Latency is due to the method that Sky provides your broadband. We use an interleaving service which, even though it provides high speeds on a stable connection, can cause the latency to increase. Other ISPs often provide what is called a fast path service. This fast path service will lower your ping/latency, at the cost of your speed and stability. Sky does not implement fast path, and it is policy that all customers must be set to Interleave. At this time, there is nothing that we can do to lower your latency, and there are no current plans to introduce Fast path onto the Sky service in the near, or distant future.
      I'll be interested to see how you get on. Out of interest, what is your line attenuation and noise margin?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5440 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.0 db 21.0 db
      Noise Margin 5.1 db 13.0 db

well if fast path is not made then why are many other users having a better ping than myself, can somebody tell me something that i may of missed in setup or connect just something!

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi use this utility it will tell you near the top of the extracted stats whether you are on fast or interleaved.
      Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4
      I am currently in "discussions" with sky as I have been moved from fast to inter and from reading through this forum there are plenty of people out there with sky who are on fast

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

how do you go about gettin them to switch coz i badly need this to happen! and im annoyed enough as it is
      Last edited by gaxze; 10-04-07 at 10:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)