Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

High Latency

This is a discussion on High Latency within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Sky keep stating that their policy is not to put people on fast. I'm arguing that there are plenty out ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: High Latency

Sky keep stating that their policy is not to put people on fast. I'm arguing that there are plenty out there that are on fast and as my line stats are pretty good my line should be acceptable on fast. however at the moment I'm on connect which is leased off bt and so sky would have to pay bt to do this, which is the real reason why they wont do it for me. My exchange has been unbundled so when I go to max I will try again. in your case I could not comment as you have not posted full line stats but your noise margin is very low which could be caused by internal wiring faults which will increase line errors, skys use of inter will reduce line errors so until you can reduce any that your wiring is creating then I suspect sky will not entertain moving you
      cheers
      dave

2. Advertisement
      gaxze is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

im in discussion with there "level 3 support team" that has the ability ti change me onto fast path, i have to wait 3-5 days until i get a response tho. ticket is logged.

im told that for me to get a better ping id have to sacrifice download speeds to 2.5-3mb which personally i wouldnt care..

HiPing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SELBY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Post Re: High Latency

Im on SKY MAX and I too have been having probs with high latency: ping to bbc-76ms, jolt-84ms and google.co.uk-87ms. I am a fair bit away fm the exchange 59db atten, which gives me a sync of 2720Mb up 778Kb down, interleaved.

Being an online gamer (mainly JO, AA), when logging in to any of the servers my ping would be over 100ms, which personally I found unacceptable, especially after being told when I originally ordered the product, the saleswoman told me "games would run absoloutely fine".

After "many" phone calls to support they finally seem to have got it sorted. My connection is still the same speed but my ping has gone down to the low to mid 30s interleaved (via wireless). So I think if you pester them enough, they will try and get it sorted.
      NOTE: Have been told by customer support that tier 3 callbacks are now on average 10 days, up fm the 3-5, which is even more unacceptable.

gaxze is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HiPing View Post
      Im on SKY MAX and I too have been having probs with high latency: ping to bbc-76ms, jolt-84ms and google.co.uk-87ms. I am a fair bit away fm the exchange 59db atten, which gives me a sync of 2720Mb up 778Kb down, interleaved.

Being an online gamer (mainly JO, AA), when logging in to any of the servers my ping would be over 100ms, which personally I found unacceptable, especially after being told when I originally ordered the product, the saleswoman told me "games would run absoloutely fine".

After "many" phone calls to support they finally seem to have got it sorted. My connection is still the same speed but my ping has gone down to the low to mid 30s interleaved (via wireless). So I think if you pester them enough, they will try and get it sorted.
      NOTE: Have been told by customer support that tier 3 callbacks are now on average 10 days, up fm the 3-5, which is even more unacceptable.
      seems exact problem as me, what did u say to get ur ping down and stay on interleaved? is wireless the answer? coz i could try that.

dq1
      dq1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littleborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gaxze View Post
      seems exact problem as me, what did u say to get ur ping down and stay on interleaved? is wireless the answer? coz i could try that.
      Wireless would make a ping worse.

Thanks

GAXZE wrote:
      seems exact problem as me, what did u say to get ur ping down and stay on interleaved? is wireless the answer? coz i could try that
      dq1 wrote:
      Wireless would make a ping worse
      dq1 is correct is saying wireless does increase your ping, I was just highlighting the fact that my ping dropped to the mid 30s even though I was on wireless, so if I went back to wired it would probably drop further.

Gaxze,
      I wasnt informed what they did to correct the latency prob, but after much badgering fm me in respect of it being useless for gaming, lo and behold a few days later the latency plummetted. This is what appears to be one of the main probs with tier 3, they rummage around altering the connection, but give no feedback on what they did.
      My last ISP (ZEN) went step by step over what they did when any probs did arise (not often) and even gave a curtesy callback to ask if everything was fine,(mind you it did cost me

P.S I think I will need to change my name to MedPing.
      Last edited by HiPing; 13-04-07 at 12:41 AM.

m.barnes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hiping, what do you ping jolt at now sorry?

i get 56 which is not great and sky have refused to switch anyone to fastpath.

anyone know a good isp ping wise?

dq1
      dq1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littleborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m.barnes View Post

Zen are very good, but expensive and capped low.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m.barnes View Post

I ping jolt at 38ms-interleaved (quite addequate), which is half of what I was getting previously. I could probably shave a few more ms off that, if I was connected via wired ethernet, (but thats just getting picky).
      Dq1, is correct about Zen. When I was with ZEN, I could ping Jolt at 16ms, Google 18ms and BBC 18ms, which was probably too quick for my slow brain, but at 25 quid for a 20gig cap, it was too much for me, but the support was excellent.

isa484 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hah!! My advice? Change providers!!!! Now!!!

At home I have a 2MB connection, average ping ~50ms. More than adequate for my needs (world of warcraft is the only online game I play). However, my parents have "sky max" and were told that their connection was 16Mbps.

1. It connects at 13836Kbps, which unless I just can't count, isn't 16Mbps

2. Ping times are typically 160ms+ here. That's not good for gaming.....

3. These are my 60 yr old PARENTS. They use the internet to check their email if that, and yet they automatically got fastpath. No begging..... unless it comes automatically with the paid package?

I could rant and rant about the problems we've had with sky.... and their wonderful support staff and their fantastic box ("have you tried rebooting the router?" "Router? Is that the heating element in the corner of the room?").

Finally, as a new poster, I'd like to say thanks to you all -- there's loads of useful stuff here (for a start, the great guide on how to get the impossible-to-find username/password off the box) and it's nice to find a group of peeps who're making the best of a truly dreaful service. Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)