Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

High disconnects on Xbox Live

This is a discussion on High disconnects on Xbox Live within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone, I've got an original Xbox connected directly to my router. what I find is that I am disconnected ...

Boso is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Slough Langley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

High disconnects on Xbox Live

Hi everyone,

I've got an original Xbox connected directly to my router. what I find is that I am disconnected several times while playing games online, and it is becoming a serious problem. It happens more during 'peak' periods, and I'm not sure why. I had some problems with my previous ISP, but if I shut down all the PCs in the house, or at least shut down the P2P apps, I had no problem.

with Sky, I can't solve the problem, and it's effectively meant I'm playing less online.

Anyone experience anything similar? Or do you have any ideas what the problem could be?

2. Advertisement
      Bendz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: High disconnects on Xbox Live

Quote Originally Posted by Boso View Post
      Hi everyone,

I've got an original Xbox connected directly to my router. what I find is that I am disconnected several times while playing games online, and it is becoming a serious problem. It happens more during 'peak' periods, and I'm not sure why. I had some problems with my previous ISP, but if I shut down all the PCs in the house, or at least shut down the P2P apps, I had no problem.

with Sky, I can't solve the problem, and it's effectively meant I'm playing less online.

Anyone experience anything similar? Or do you have any ideas what the problem could be?

I had a similar problem with my Xbox 360. Oddly enough when I had my PC connected through an ethernet cable it was fine. The disconnects only happened when I was using my PC wirelessly (if that's a word?!). I'm afraid I ended up installing a fresh copy of XP on my PC to solve the problems. Sorry I can't be more help!

Everton1878 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: High disconnects on Xbox Live

I've had my 360 since Xmas but only just started getting into online gaming
      Got Sky broadband not long after - first couple of weeks of the year

Last week I had a weeks holiday and decided to catch up on my gaming plus the Halo3 multiplayer beta was out
      Decided to have a bash at COD3 multiplayer too

Some days would be better than others but some days it was almost impossible to play online due to Xbox Live disconnects
      However, these disconnections don't always coincide with loosing internet connectivity as my laptop doesn't loose connection and neither doe the router

Initialy I opened the ports on the router to go from moderate NAT to Open but still getting disconnects
      I also swapped to a static IP for the 360 and put in the OpenDNS IP's as sometimes I've experienced DNS problems on my laptop
      Next I tried putting my Xbox in the DMZ but no improvements

So far nothing has really improved and now I'm back at work I'm not spending as long on it
      Recently got Lego Star Wars and have been playing that - after a while I'll get the notification that messenger has disconnected and then shortly after Live will disconnect
      Not really bothered signing in again as it's not critical for that game but it does reconnect when I go back to the dashboard

Last week with COD3 I would have to do the connection test to get it to reconnect to Live as it wouldn't connect without doing the test
      That was one of the other things that made me wonder if it could be a DNS problem
      Was hard to tell were the problem was with COD3 as sometimes their servers seem to pack in as I'd see other disconnect before me, othertimes I'd be disconnected so not know if others were and on occassion others would be kicked out but I'd stay in

Last night I took the port forwarding rules off the router as the 360 is in the DMZ. Need to see if that makes any difference

Earlier this week I installed a new NTE5a master socket with an XTE filtered front
      I only have the one phone socket in the house and the 360 is connected via an ethernet cable to the router via a small Belkin switch

Can't say that I'd noticed problems before when signed into live and playing single player games (I was with Nildram last year) also wondering if the spring update could be a factor

Hard to say if it was possibly worse last week with it being half term but I've been plagued for weeks with slow internet or disconnects in the evening when the SNR drops - usually 20:30 - 22:00 if it occurs

Found Sky tech support to be useless in the past when emailling practically have to threaten or embarrase them into a response
      If this keeps up I'll be counting the days till my 1 year subscription ends and I can get something reliable!
      As an IT admin I like to be able to connect in the evenings and sometimes its the only time I can do certain things and I can't be doing with the unreliability especially if I ever get moved up to cover out of hours support

Everton1878 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bendz View Post
      The disconnects only happened when I was using my PC wirelessly
      Might have to have a look at that
      I'm using wireless on my laptop - Vista installed
      Might try using a wired connection to see if that makes a difference

TRIaXOR™ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSDRU
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

it was doing that with me about a week ago too but seems to have resolved itself (think it was an M$ problem) how is it running for you now?