Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Possible Problem with Sky Broadband and XBox 360 Wireless

This is a discussion on Possible Problem with Sky Broadband and XBox 360 Wireless within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I just wanted to post about my experience of Sky Broadband with XBox 360 over a wireless connection. ...

wwarby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chingford
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Possible Problem with Sky Broadband and XBox 360 Wireless

Hi all,

I just wanted to post about my experience of Sky Broadband with XBox 360 over a wireless connection.

My previous set up was using a Linksys WAG54GS router on PlusNet, connected wirelessly to the official XBox 360. Everything was fine (apart from PlusNet support which was awful).

About 2 months ago I switched to Sky Broadband Max. I get 9.5MB of the potential 16, which isn't bad. I hadn't really done much with XBox Live until a couple of weeks ago so it's difficult to say whether something else happened in the meantime, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed something wasn't right.

I started playing PGR3 online with a friend, and I kept getting dropped out of multiplayer games. It happened every other game and it (wrongly) reported that everyone else had quit, although if I was in a private chat at the time, this would remain active. My connection never really dropped, I think it was just too slow to keep up.

Then I realised that downloads from XBox Live Arcade were failing. I had it on auto-download and I just assumed Microsoft weren't putting out any new releases but that wasn't the case - the games just weren't downloading properly. I tried restarting the downloads and downloading other videos, trials and gamerpic packs. I discovered that they download, but so slowly that I didn't realise at first. After an hour I had 5MB of a 50MB video. That's just under 2kb/s. 2kb/s! That's half the speed of a dial-up modem.

After speaking to Sky and Microsoft, I tried moving my router into the living room and connecting with an ethernet cable. Immediately download speeds were up to normal. I haven't played online yet because my friends are at work, but I'm willing to bet that tonight I will find online gaming is as reliable as it once was.

As I see it, all the possibilities are as follows:

1. My XBox 360 wireless adapter is faulty. I find this unlikely as the problem seemed to start around the time when I switched to Sky (5 XBLA games had failed to download which is about 2 months worth). I will be testing this theory by lending my wireless adapter to a friend who currently connects wirelessly without problems.

2. My XBox 360 console is faulty. I suppose this is possible, although it seems a little far fetched. At some point I might be able to test this by getting somebody else's XBox 360 to my house and connecting my wireless adapter to my network.

3. There is a generic compatibility issue between the Sky supplied router and the XBox 360 wireless adapter. This also seems unlikely because more people would be writing about it online.

4. Wireless interference. There are 5 wireless networks in my vicinity. I suppose it's possible one of them could be getting in the way. But I can't see why that wouldn't affect my Nintendo Wii or any of my three computers.

5. There is a configuration problem on either my router or my XBox 360. This seems the most likely scenario to me. I have no idea what the problem could be though - I haven't exactly messed around with the settings on either.

My experience of 802.11x wireless technologies in general has been that they are flaky and unreliable. I've owned 4 wireless routers and for all of them I've had to repair the connection from my PCs on a very regular basis (almost every day). Most of my friends and colleagues have experienced similar problems. My strategy from now is going to be to position the router where most of the devices are, and cable connect them - particularly the 360. I just thought I'd share this experience and see if anybody else has had similar problems.

-William

2. Advertisement
      FGZ
      FGZ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cannock
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Possible Problem with Sky Broadband and XBox 360 Wireless

Hi,

I have been using wireless connection for three months and very few problems with my 360 , I do have the occasional freeze when playing Rainbow Vegas but mostly I'm fine.

p.s my connection as improved since I re ticked the unpp on my router.

bones` is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bamber Bridge, Preston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Possible Problem with Sky Broadband and XBox 360 Wireless

I am seriously considering switching to Sky BB max now that my exchange has been unbundled. My son has a 360 and is online most nights so this feature has to work. I currently use the same Netgear router that sky provide and it works fine (unless it actually dies which is another story, I'm on my 3rd in 12 months) with xbox live so would expect the Sky branded Netgear to work also. It is a question I will ask when I ring Sky to sign up.