Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender

This is a discussion on Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; This might not strictly be a Sky issue but I've tried to eliminate all other possibilities first before bothering everyone ...

Chrisoco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Willowcroft
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender

This might not strictly be a Sky issue but I've tried to eliminate all other possibilities first before bothering everyone here!

Now bear with me on this as I'm no IT genius...

I have a wireless connection from my PC to my Sky router whilst my Xbox is connected via an ethernet cable. So far, internet access via PC fine whilst Xbox live running OK.

I am following the Media Center Extender manager to set up the connection between PC and Xbox with no joy currently, getting as far as entering the 8 digit set up code where I am then advised to check my firewall to allow internet access for 6 programs. I have granted access for those programs but still no joy connecting to my xbox.

I have spoken to Mcafee to see if its an issue with their software, also spoken with xbox support and they were unable to help. Sky tech support didn't have a clue what I was talking about so this site is my only chance!

Basically, what do I need to do (that I haven't already) to set up my xbox as a media center extender? Is my set up even going to allow that? Is there likely to be an issue with my router?

2. Advertisement
      SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      have you tried disabling McAfee?
      "To help would be a great adventure"

sirsilver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: chorlton
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      Have you tried running this click on setup and follow the media centre link.
      Thas how i got my 360 to stream, if you are going to be streaming video its advisable to have your 360, router and pc on a wired connection rather than wireless.
      If you have tried the above then simply disabling your firewall should enable your 360 to stream.
      I was using Zonealarm and i had problems with that so i got rid and i just use the windows firewall.

Eddy UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question I've been meaning to ask the same question

I'm having almost the same problem over my network.

Its all wired
      I also use Mcafee
      WMC

What i dont get is asked to allow 6 programs (that sounds like your firewall)

I've also tried to allow sharing via Windows Media Player 11

Nothing seems to work - i'm considering uninstalling Mcafee trying it all again.

Anyone got any help?

Eddy

Chrisoco: sorry for the hijack but hopefully my Q's will also help you.

Eddy UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sirsilver View Post
      Have you tried running this click on setup and follow the media centre link.
      Thas how i got my 360 to stream, if you are going to be streaming video its advisable to have your 360, router and pc on a wired connection rather than wireless.
      If you have tried the above then simply disabling your firewall should enable your 360 to stream.
      I was using Zonealarm and i had problems with that so i got rid and i just use the windows firewall.
      Its very good to know that someone on Skybb has managed to get this working - it means i can rule out the bband route.

Sirsilver do you use media centre?

Just to make sure you dont have any special (any rules etc) settings in your router do you?

Eddy

Chrisoco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Willowcroft
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I get the feelin its all to do with how my network is set up.

xbox to router = wired
      pc to router = wireless

disabled mcafee but will not recognise xbox for love nor money. Any ideas?

PS Hijack away, the more info i get out of this the better!
      PPS followed various links on various websites but nothing seems to be cracking my dilemma!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Seems as Father Christmas is bringing me one, if you don't get your answer before 25th I can have a go and let you know?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

gott_sei_dank is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMHY High Wycombe
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It can be a bit of an effot

Ok tbh honest I can't really remember how I got it to work, I did resort at one point to reinstalling Media Center but that was an act of frustation .

The key is over coming you firewall. If you use Media Center it takes over the entire screen so you need to alt-tab to you firewall if it is one that pops up allow connection so and so.

The other thing is getting a new eight digit key from the xbox. If after failing to connect for what ever reason, you turn off the xbox and stll get the same key there is an option in the system blade somewhere to disconnect form computer.

I think I did this, then disabled the firewall, set up the media center, exited from the Xbox side, reenabled the firewall and then connected the xbox, firewall asks for permission etc and Bobs' your Uncle, Sallys' your aunt, Media Center extended.

It really helps if UPnP is enabled in your router, it does save a lot of hassle, but maybe you got security concerns, but I am thinking while typing and I also used the Lan IP setup options to give the PC and Xbox fixed IP address, which should make it easier.

Time for bed me thinks.

gott_sei_dank is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMHY High Wycombe
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Transcode is Good

Forgot to mention when you do get it going use transcode360 to view video other than wmv

sirsilver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: chorlton
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Eddy UK View Post
      Its very good to know that someone on Skybb has managed to get this working - it means i can rule out the bband route.

Sirsilver do you use media centre?

Just to make sure you dont have any special (any rules etc) settings in your router do you?

Eddy
      I use media Centre yes, i just downloaded the media centre software and as far as the sky router is concerned i have`nt touched any settings at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast