Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

pings on sky broadband, high or low

This is a discussion on pings on sky broadband, high or low within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; packet loss is a good theory as well. but either way, high pings or packet loss i think we can ...

zub
      zub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Upton Park
      Broadband ISP: Getting better, could do with fastpath though :(
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: pings on sky broadband, high or low

packet loss is a good theory as well. but either way, high pings or packet loss i think we can all agree that the Sky Max connection is not one for the online gamer, and i should know.

2. Advertisement
      bulldog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNCSN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi ive been activated a couple of days now, and my pings at the best are 50
      Will sky put you on fast path if you request it, i stated when i signed up we are games and need a fast connectin

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zub View Post
      packet loss is a good theory as well. but either way, high pings or packet loss i think we can all agree that the Sky Max connection is not one for the online gamer, and i should know.
      i disagree (as you know lol) i think gaming on Sky Max is as good as any other ISP i have had, and i should know , BUT im not experiencing packet loss, just need to learn to adapt
      "To help would be a great adventure"

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ahhh so you disagree ( ) well all i have to say my previous 2meg connection (sub 20 pings) and even my old old 512kbs connection was a LOT more better for gaming. I CAN really tell the difference. I'm not saying gaming on sky max is horrid i'm just saying its not as good as what i had before but especially at peak times it becomes really bad. I don't know if its the increased ping times or packet loss or a combination of both, but as an online gamer i can confidently say Sky max is NOT as good as my old connections so therefore NOT as good as any other ISP (like you say).

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I think if you were on the Connect package Zub you would see a better ping, that is unargueable, however we will all have to agree to disagree on the difference of pings, mine makes no difference to me. Maybe thats why I don't have a high score like yours
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 13-02-07 at 11:22 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes i am considering the 8mb package (i'm capped at 8mb anyway) but the 40gb cap is putting me off, i'm not a super high downloader but i know there are a couple of occasions where i do download a LOT, like right now i'm downloading something that is 30GB!!! but a month back i barely used up about 10-15GB in a whole month. So i'm still speculating at this point but i may switch over.

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I think if you were on the Connect package Zub you would see a better ping, that is unargueable, however we will all have to agree to disagree on the difference of pings, mine makes no differece to me. Maybe thats why I don't have a high score like yours
      Only thing with the connect package is though, if you do have a storm or whatever which causes your line to drop a few times within a few hours or create a shed load of errors on the line whilsts its happening, BT's DLM could well enable interleaving on your connection, you would then have much higher ping times, and just as unlikey to get it changed to fastpath.

I guess the bottom line is this, Sky are wanting millions of customers, so i guess have opted to use interleaving for its improved stability (especially on long lines and ADSL2+) I doubt very much they would want to customize each line for every customer that says "my ping times are 20ms higher than my previous provider and i've started getting killed more playing games". People would probably be far more annoyed if they were on fastpath and the connection actually dropped out due to small bursts of impulse noise etc when they're playing their games.

Reaction times also slow down with age too, maybe people are just starting to get on in their years and starting to feel the affects of age, maybe it's not the ping times after all

jb51053 Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by zub View Post
      yes i am considering the 8mb package (i'm capped at 8mb anyway) but the 40gb cap is putting me off, i'm not a super high downloader but i know there are a couple of occasions where i do download a LOT, like right now i'm downloading something that is 30GB!!! but a month back i barely used up about 10-15GB in a whole month. So i'm still speculating at this point but i may switch over.

Even at 17 a month? i doubt sky would give you the 5 connect connection if you actually say you want to move from their LLU kit to BT Wholesale (and why should they?) as the 5 a month connect offer is only for those who will be moved onto LLU equipment.

zub
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i'm talking about the mid package (8meg, 40gb capp). before when i phoned them complaining about why they capped my line and the refused to uncapp they did offer me if i would like to get moved to the mid package free off charge. i may take it.

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lightbulb Re: pings on sky broadband, high or low

Another thing i have just realised is i am on g.dmt at 9696 sync and i ping 37 ms to bbc.co.uk so i set my mode to adsl2+ which i sync at 7645 and the ping jumps to 47ms to bbc.co.uk. Also when playing battlefield 2 or 2142 the ping is as much as 14ms difference on the same server at all times. I dunno if my situation is different to others being on a capped adsl2+ service but i wouldn't think adsl2+ would increase my ping by 10-15 over g.dmt but it does.

So g.dmt is better for me for gaming and feels alot more stable and quicker.

just a thought, does anyone else get these results ?

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast