Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

pings on sky broadband, high or low

This is a discussion on pings on sky broadband, high or low within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I agree indefatigable. But... If not all are affected and some don't have bad pings then there is obviously in ...

MrBlue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Broadband ISP: Migrated to BeThere.co.uk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: pings on sky broadband, high or low

I agree indefatigable. But...

If not all are affected and some don't have bad pings then there is obviously in issue that needs to be resolved. But Sky don't seem to want to help.
      My Speed on BeThere...

I used to get less than 6mb on Sky!!!

2. Advertisement
      NvG|Man0waR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: very nearby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi All

Fair points made by all there, guess i was a little biased at the time and not thinkin too much in sky's favour, but tbh i didnt mean a mass communication of the sorts mentioned above but maybe a few enqueries by the salesman that kinda thing, ok i agree were a minority, but these are still requirements expected of the service by our minority.

Anyway on another note ive pretty much got it all sorted now anyhow, and it turns out all the fuss may have potentially been about nothing! lol, i am no longer a sky hater! but not pro sky either (as yet).

+ As for the connection interuptions in game it turns out it was down to incompatability between the sky netgear router 108g and my belkin 54g usb stick, therefore i purchased a 108g netgear stick and that smoothed out the connection in game

+ As for the low download speeds ive managed to get them up to what i expected 8meg down 750 up, achieved this by simply removing face plate on my bt box and putting cable direct into the test socket, seems to have no negative effect on phones or sky tv.

+ I now ping at arond 48 in game severs and tbh i can say there is often no distinguishable difference from my previous ping concerning gameply.

- I am however experiencing around 5 connection drop outs a day, which often require a router reboot and/or removal and reaplication of the netgear stick. (since removing faceplate i feel this may have decreased, as i noticed an increase from 6-7db noise margin on dwnload to 9-10db, but it does still occur, and i realise this noise margin is not ideal)

But now appart from that i am a fairly satisfied sky customer! I may contact bt about the noise margin and see if my line gain can be set to max

Cheers

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post

Many people have said they have no problems with pings on Interleaving, so not all people are affected

So by saying that Sky should be telling customers there is a problem is not justified.

I disagree they know there is a problem and should let people know , i have read a thread over at TBB and the guy rang CS and asked if pings & gaming were fine as it was the most important thing to him,he was told yes,now this may be true and he may not have a problem but CS know there are problems so therefore are not telling the whole truth.

If you look at the ping poll 44 users have pings under 50ms & 49 have pings over 50ms.

So you are looking at roughly a 50/50 split, if this was a ISP's official forum there would be hundreds of posts about this and it would be all over tinternet that Sky were to be avoided if gaming is important to you,also the fact that they are not even willing to try to help by putting you on fastpath would have gamers running a mile.

ozzy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: MID
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

minimum=0ms ,maximum=1 is that good because i'am lagging like crazy on battlefield 2142 when i had bt it was all good but now i'am getting 120ms its killing my fun can someone help

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxping View Post
      I disagree they know there is a problem and should let people know , i have read a thread over at TBB and the guy rang CS and asked if pings & gaming were fine as it was the most important thing to him,he was told yes,now this may be true and he may not have a problem but CS know there are problems so therefore are not telling the whole truth.

If you look at the ping poll 44 users have pings under 50ms & 49 have pings over 50ms.

So you are looking at roughly a 50/50 split, if this was a ISP's official forum there would be hundreds of posts about this and it would be all over tinternet that Sky were to be avoided if gaming is important to you,also the fact that they are not even willing to try to help by putting you on fastpath would have gamers running a mile.
      max - totally agree, i've been saying this for months, we may be a minority in skys grand vision of things, but as I have said before and as you point out we may not be the minority sky think we are and for something so simple to put right !!
      dave

SmokeKingGun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Havent read through all 18 pages so forgive me if im repeating whats already been said.

Im currently on the sky MAX, i say currently as im calling requesting for a MAC code, due to poor support and even poorer pings. Im still within the 12 month period so will report how it goes.

When I first had it installed it was nothing spectacular (compared to f2s)but it was just about playable gaming wise. The bandwidth was great compared to my 512k previous line but the latency was nowhere near F2s.
      The problem has become alot worse in the last 3 months or so and now the first gateway [195.189.158.31] seems really bad (oversold network?)

I think i have always been on interleaved but didnt have a major problem at first so didnt really check when 1st had installed, below is the traceroute.

Tracing route to Google [216.239.59.99]

over a maximum of 30 hops:
      1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
      2 72 ms 85 ms 71 ms cr0.lnhat.uk.easynet.net [195.189.158.31]
      3 57 ms 57 ms 57 ms 82.111.102.145
      4 67 ms 66 ms 68 ms ip-89-200-132-53.ov.easy

Now for the even worse part which is their so called support. Ive now called 5 times and have logged the problem a total of 3 times, stating the bad latency and poor online gaming performance.

Ive asked to either be taken off interleave or to be changed to a different gateway if possible (please not another easynet one!) , I have been promised 3 calls from Tier 3 support which have never materialised.

Has anyone actually got through direct on the phone to Tier 3 (phone number, email address - anything will do) and are most people going through easynet's old network? some traceroutes would be nice for anyone in the Hertfordshire area whos on sky.

m.barnes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

not in your area but same issue:

Tracing route to google.co.uk [216.239.59.104]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
      2 68 ms 63 ms 79 ms cr0.cmexh.uk.easynet.net [195.189.159.5]
      3 50 ms 51 ms 52 ms 80.238.44.97
      4 53 ms 54 ms 63 ms ip-89-200-132-122.ov.easynet.net [89.200.132.122
      ]
      5 53 ms 55 ms 53 ms ge1-1-0.er3.thlon.uk.easynet.net [89.200.130.2]

6 54 ms 53 ms 53 ms 195.66.224.125
      7 65 ms 78 ms 65 ms 66.249.95.107
      8 66 ms 67 ms 65 ms 72.14.232.241
      9 68 ms 70 ms 70 ms 216.239.49.114
      10 67 ms 64 ms 64 ms gv-in-f104.google.com [216.239.59.104]

Trace complete.

cale69er is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I get really high pings on games, mostly on steam games, such as counterstrike 1.6 which is the main game i play, i need to get lower pings then 90, because i play matches all the time for clans, and 90+ is pretty laggy, and it doesnt change with server location.

SmokeKingGun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Having read through a few previous pages it seems you get the best ping wise on the connect package. Amasing that the more you pay the worse service you get.

Already asked for a MAC code and im jumping ship as soon as I can. I know for a fact sky have now capped my line at 3488 and with interleave still on and an abysmal gateway Im still getting shocking pings. Everytime I reboot router it gives same download speed which did in the past change when noise margin was good. I know my attentuation is high but my SNR is OK so should be getting stable pings while getting up to around 4mb which I did get sometimes.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3488 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.0 db 31.0 db
      Noise Margin 10.5 db 13.0 db

I miss the days of my old 512K ADSL, how bad does that make sky?

m.barnes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i am in the process of getting my mac code, cancelling my contract and jumping ship.

i know people say wireless is no good for gaming blah blah blah, but my parents have wireless and they ping google at 30ish ms, i get the above.

so i am off, also, now i have shopped around, its amazing the number of people offering a 1 month contract term, not 12 months like sky. should have twigged to start with!

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast